Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, compared to the 1970's we are oppressed in ways that have nothing to do with gender, race, or religious equality. We are becoming slaves to our masters. We work for free nearly 1/2 the year when you add it all up.

Privilege today exists for the pleasure of the government and it's staff. We are returning to a monarchy. However, the succession is based on money, not just ancestry.

I assume the above refers to taxes, but correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Theoretically, the United States taxpayers do not "work for free", since we get services in return for taxes paid. At the federal level, we get insurance against poverty in old age (Social Security and Medicare). We also get the protection of the most powerful military in recorded history, and a diplomatic corps. to advance our interests abroad. Old age safety net, military/veterans, and diplomatic services account for about 75% of the federal budget from what I can remember.

Other services taxpayers receive: a whole host of safety measures for food, medicine, transportation, energy, water, and more. We can buy food at a market and fill a prescription at a pharmacy with reasonable assurance that it will be safe. Most of us enjoy clean drinking water that is free of contaminants. In a complex civilization with countless actors doing all sorts of different things in an area spread out over thousands of miles in each direction, it is practically impossible for an individual to have knowledge of and defend against all the kinds of problems that can occur.

At the local level, taxes pay for police protection, fire protection, roads, schools, and other public resources.

There is simply no way to have a functioning modern society without these public goods and services.

The truly troubling aspect of it, is about 1/2 the country wants to have their rights taken from them. They want the government to control every single aspect of their lives. They see no problem with government staff having more rights than those they hold control over.

The problem is that different rights conflict with each other, and there needs to be some arbiter to resolve the conflicts.

The recent Supreme Court case involving a gay couple suing a baker who refused to bake them a wedding cake is an example of this. On one side, the gay couple assert their right to be free from discrimination in public commerce. On the other side, the baker asserts his right to be free from compelled speech that goes against sincere religious conviction.

Today, I will go into work, and fill out forms as part of my duties. Today will be like any other day this century. They will ask me what race am I and what gender am I. It's required by law, and determines whether or not I will be allowed to work. I will not be notified if I'm rejected due to gender or racial issues. The government deemed that side of the equation to be unnecessary.

My son just did his college apps last month. What college he is allowed to attend is not entirely based on his academic achievement, but also the color of his skin, just like it was for my daughters. ie - You can be anything you want in the USA as long as you are the correct race, gender, and religion.

That is not rumor, it's written in ink and enforced by armed government personnel. Just like we did to the Native Americans, but now it's 100 years later. The 'white man' is still evil, however, 'white man' now has nothing to do being white or a man. It is tied into who you collect your paycheck from.

This underscores the basic tension of American civilization: how to reconcile the ideal of allowing people to do whatever they want, with the ideal that people should be equals in society. Individuals and groups with more resources and more social capital could easily trample those of lesser means and position.

I don't believe there will ever be a good answer to any of this conflict.

The only logical solution I can see is to move oneself to a region of the country where government and social interference is lowest, if one does not like complicated rules and restrictions. Ted Kaczynski, the Unabomber, did exactly this: moved to an isolated area of rural Montana to escape what he saw as the "oversocialization" from society at large. Of course, the fact that he decided to become a terrorist and murder people with mail bombs only brought civilization down upon him like a ton of bricks once his identity was disclosed.

If you're unhappy with high taxes, more government, and P.C., the only logical choice is to leave California, permanently. I have friends and relatives who moved to Texas and are much happier there. Or one could move to rural Montana and live the rugged, individual life that some are meant to live.

Privilege? The right to bear arms, the right to free speech, the right of free association, the right to be free of religious persecution, the right to due process prior to the government seizing your property, the right to run a legal business as you see fit, and many other things we used to take for granted are dissolving.

No, compared to the 1970's we are oppressed in ways that have nothing to do with gender, race, or religious equality. We are becoming slaves to our masters. We work for free nearly 1/2 the year when you add it all up.

Privilege today exists for the pleasure of the government and it's staff. We are returning to a monarchy. However, the succession is based on money, not just ancestry.

The truly troubling aspect of it, is about 1/2 the country wants to have their rights taken from them. They want the government to control every single aspect of their lives. They see no problem with government staff having more rights than those they hold control over.

Today, I will go into work, and fill out forms as part of my duties. Today will be like any other day this century. They will ask me what race am I and what gender am I. It's required by law, and determines whether or not I will be allowed to work. I will not be notified if I'm rejected due to gender or racial issues. The government deemed that side of the equation to be unnecessary.

My son just did his college apps last month. What college he is allowed to attend is not entirely based on his academic achievement, but also the color of his skin, just like it was for my daughters. ie - You can be anything you want in the USA as long as you are the correct race, gender, and religion.

That is not rumor, it's written in ink and enforced by armed government personnel. Just like we did to the Native Americans, but now it's 100 years later. The 'white man' is still evil, however, 'white man' now has nothing to do being white or a man. It is tied into who you collect your paycheck from.
With access to the internet, I'd suggest, self education a much better option than most any college/university. Finding and following a passion seems much more rewarding to me. Many of the world great men/women were self educated (including Elon Musk, for example). Vast majority of computer developers are of course self educated - the software technology moves far too fast. Finding a good mentor(s) is of course priceless. I hope you get what I am driving at. Just the time commuting to school would be better spent searching internet for sources of knowledge. Don't subject yourself to petty prejudices/institutions. Find your own way. Avoid debt traps. Be as self reliant as you can. And big progress is made thru cooperation. Which is why Elon often thanks his employees for his companies successes and he often acknowledges NASA help/assistance (which is surely individuals mostly, right?)

by the way, great post IMHO, thanks
sorry for the rambling - hope this helps more than confuses

good luck to you and your kids,
we all need a little luck.

LOL..

Democrats in high-tax states plot to blunt impact of new tax law

Do Dems realize that the Repubs want people to pay less federal taxes? The only reason why Repubs got rid of the SALTs was to keep the tax cuts at the 1.5T cost which allowed them to pass the law with 51 votes. If 9 dems would have joined, they could have made the tax cuts permanent and allowed SALTs to remain. I hope all these high tax "Blue" states do find a way for their citizens to pay less Fed taxes, this what conservatives want. I have a feeling Dems will realize what they are doing and find a way to raise taxes in their states and the exodus from those states will continue. The problem is that they are all gong to TX and FL and turning those states Blue and raising taxes.

Why should anyone be allowed to deduct their state taxes from their federal taxes in the first place?!? That means the rest of us are basically paying for the failed programs of the blue states! It is a bunch of B.S..

Why should anyone be allowed to deduct their state taxes from their federal taxes in the first place?!? That means the rest of us are basically paying for the failed programs of the blue states! It is a bunch of B.S..

Read link and learn you don't know what you are talking about. Higher tax states contribute more than their share to the federal government than low tax states, while those states receive far more federal dollars than they contribute. Not allowing federal tax deduction of state and local taxes is meant to penalize states which take their responsibility for their citizens welfare seriously.

2017’s Most & Least Federally Dependent States

... the President of one of my two countries cannot speak his own native language with secondary school level standards ...

You have no inkling of how bad US public high schools are. :D

And you must have only a very vague grasp of how business is transacted, or more likely, you are basing your premise on leftist propaganda. Goebbels would be proud of CNN/MSNBC. If our leftist media/PACs had their way, intellectuals who were not Party Members would be stinking up the sky from the smokestacks of the ovens. They no longer even believe in free speech or public elections, their own words not mine.

The reality is that business requires communication. It's a simple Occam's Razor proposition. Trump would have had to have thousands of instances of wildly good luck to get into the business world then the White House if he was below average intelligence and uneducated (they are different). Or the other choice is that he simply is neither stupid nor illiterate.

Which branch requires greater suspension of logical thinking?

The press portrayed Gerald Ford as stupid and clumsy. It wasn't true, but 100 years from now it will be when all those who knew are dead and the media revises history accordingly.

The truth is the liberal movement is mostly populated by unintelligent yet educated folk. Gullible doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of their personality defects.

• Disagree
Reactions: JRP3 and jbcarioca
You have no inkling of how bad US public high schools are. :D
On occasion you make sense. This time you confuse a number of issues, but I'll not argue all the points.

I will simply point out the fallacy in your assertion that I quoted above,
You have no idea how much I do or do not know about "US public high schools". Further, few well-informed people are likely to make such sweeping generalisations. US public high school range from superb to awful.

On only one other point it seems you have rather over-generalised again:
"...The truth is the liberal movement is mostly populated by unintelligent yet educated folk. Gullible doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of their personality defects..."
Demonising those with whom you disagree is popular, but unwise, in large part because it is false. There are intelligent, well-educated and thoughtful people inhabiting every political position. They range from extreme right to extreme left, from multiculturalist to single-culture exclusionist. It is harmful to civilisation to assume that people who disagree with ones own views are somehow prone to "...personality defects".

The world is full of abhorrent views, often held by people who otherwise are clearly intelligent, knowledgable and even well-balanced psychologically.

We would do well to understand those facts.

Nothing in the foregoing should be construed to ascribe any opinion regarding any vestige of normalcy to the current US president. That subject is OT.

Tesla does have problems with their suppliers dumping them. Then afterwards spinning how they got rid of them and the downgrade is actually an improvement. It seems that is their corporate culture, very reminiscent of the AP issues. I can’t think of one other car where cloth is considered premium above alcantara as it is the opposite, or where production cars are displayed with one product and then another obviously lower grade product is delivered without notice.

Reminds you a lot of a certain House of White (with a shade of orange), don't you think?

Maybe that can be the new excuse. The alcantara was made by a supplier in some "shithole country", so Tesla dumped them. :D

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: S3XY and stevejust
Reminds you a lot of a certain House of White (with a shade of orange), don't you think?

Maybe that can be the new excuse. The alcantara was made by a supplier in some "shithole country", so Tesla dumped them. :D

I couldn't possibly agree with you more. I've been thinking about making a reddit post comparing and contrasting Elon Musk and Tesla/SpaceX to Donald Trump and Whitehouse/Trump Organization.

There are some remarkable overlaps going on. To begin with, both cause really strong reactions in people. Both have rabid fanboys. Both say they want to support American manufacturing. Etc.,.

Of course, then you've got the biggest difference: which is that Elon Musk accomplishes what he says (usually). You know, like building rockets that can land themselves and be reused. Whereas, Trump doesn't have a wall, didn't repeal Obamacare unless you count taking away the penalty on the individual mandate, and is, of course, trying to take credit for an economy that was corrected from the TARP bailouts and a huge recession by his predecessor since that is the Trump way.

But where things get eerily, eerily similar is in the communications that are coming out of each. Second Gen Roadster breaks down by the side of the road and everyone sees it? Tesla says it didn't break down. Trump gets caught bragging about grabbing pussy on tape? Admits it at first, and then says he never said it. Even though it's on tape. We all heard it.

Donald Jr. gets accused of colluding with the Russians? The solution they came up with was for him to literally tweet the smoking gun evidence, in the hope that they could then tell their base he's obviously not guilty, because if he did it, he wouldn't have just tweeted the evidence. The evidence that showed he did it.

Tesla gets caught pulling an illegal bait-and-switch with respect to premium materials? The idiots, instead of hiring Burson Marsteller to do crisis management, have admitted that this was a planned change -- which could conceivably open Tesla up to criminal liability for the switcheroo for classes of people who 1) reserved after seeing the premium interior with the intent on getting what was shown and 2) paid the $2500 for delivery of their cars with the PUP package expecting to get the premium alcantara.

I'm not happy as an owner.

I'm not happy as a Model 3 Reservation holder.

I'm not happy as a Roadster Reservation holder.

I'm not happy as an investor.

I'm not happy as a fanboy.

And I'm not happy as a human being.

Reactions: S3XY
I couldn't possibly agree with you more. I've been thinking about making a reddit post comparing and contrasting Elon Musk and Tesla/SpaceX to Donald Trump and Whitehouse/Trump Organization.

There are some remarkable overlaps going on. To begin with, both cause really strong reactions in people. Both have rabid fanboys. Both say they want to support American manufacturing. Etc.,.

Of course, then you've got the biggest difference: which is that Elon Musk accomplishes what he says (usually). You know, like building rockets that can land themselves and be reused. Whereas, Trump doesn't have a wall, didn't repeal Obamacare unless you count taking away the penalty on the individual mandate, and is, of course, trying to take credit for an economy that was corrected from the TARP bailouts and a huge recession by his predecessor since that is the Trump way.

But where things get eerily, eerily similar is in the communications that are coming out of each. Second Gen Roadster breaks down by the side of the road and everyone sees it? Tesla says it didn't break down. Trump gets caught bragging about grabbing pussy on tape? Admits it at first, and then says he never said it. Even though it's on tape. We all heard it.

Donald Jr. gets accused of colluding with the Russians? The solution they came up with was for him to literally tweet the smoking gun evidence, in the hope that they could then tell their base he's obviously not guilty, because if he did it, he wouldn't have just tweeted the evidence. The evidence that showed he did it.

Tesla gets caught pulling an illegal bait-and-switch with respect to premium materials? The idiots, instead of hiring Burson Marsteller to do crisis management, have admitted that this was a planned change -- which could conceivably open Tesla up to criminal liability for the switcheroo for classes of people who 1) reserved after seeing the premium interior with the intent on getting what was shown and 2) paid the $2500 for delivery of their cars with the PUP package expecting to get the premium alcantara.

The rails are over to the left about 15 meters, we're kinda off them.

It is pretty comical, some of the things Trump says that is, it reminds me of bumbling Crazy Joe, but without getting free passes on everything. All administrations have issues, Joe was Obama’s choice. Not sure how you can not give credit to Trump for the economy though, that is all him. Where would we be without TARP?, we will never know other than less debt. His accomplishments so far have been in spite of the resistance.

• Funny
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
There's a lot of causes to the asset bubble, but the main one is that for decades, wages have been flat and profits among the very rich class have been high. More money in the hands of the rich, and less in the hands of the average person, means that consumption goes down and asset purchases go up. (It should be clear why this is; if it's not, I'll explain it step by step.) The tax law exacerbates this by giving huge tax breaks to investments while soaking the working stiffs .

Even a rise in interest rates won't stop this phenomenon. Only progressive taxation has a chance to stop the asset price boom.

Of course eventually the result of the drop in consumption will be that profit margins go very low, but the prices of the assets won't go down: they'll stay at the new high level.
There was no tax law.

It was a redistribution of wealth law.

GOP and Don seem pretty hell bent on eliminating solar from our energy solution book. Any momentum the other direction is welcome.

What does that have to do with Home Depot? Im so confused. Are you saying that the Home Depot guy is controlled by Donald directly and would never to anything against his masters will? Or maybe, The Home Depot guy likes solar and supports Donald like I do and maybe, just maybe he has a brain of his own. I think the issue here is that not all people on the right are the same and neither are all the people on the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.