Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, "probably" and "might'. The truth is that without having an alternate reality in which we did *nothing* to compare our current world to, we can't actually know what any of our actions accomplished. The panic, fear, political divide, PTSD, economic instability, disregard for the law (and more) that have come from this pandemic are also very destructive. It's "possible" that had we simply continued life as normal, the world would be in a better place.

People have died. They'll continue to die. Some from the flu, some from COVID. Most from heart attacks, cancer, stroke, diabetes. Some small number will even die from looking down at the screen to enable the windshield defrosters post v11.

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
Yes, "probably" and "might'. The truth is that without having an alternate reality in which we did *nothing* to compare our current world to, we can't actually know what any of our actions accomplished. The panic, fear, political divide, PTSD, economic instability, disregard for the law (and more) that have come from this pandemic are also very destructive. It's "possible" that had we simply continued life as normal, the world would be in a better place.

People have died. They'll continue to die. Some from the flu, some from COVID. Most from heart attacks, cancer, stroke, diabetes. Some small number will even die from looking down at the screen to enable the windshield defrosters post v11.
And since there is nothing to compare to, your word salads don’t have much meaning.

Irrelevant BS. Or, what passes for intellect in some circles, nowadays.

Disgusted is a pretty strong word IMO. I remember when my local State Representative (Lorena Gonzalez) and author of the awful AB5 bill tweeted "**** Elon Musk" because Elon had the temerity to publicly complain about California's harsh COVID lockdown rules shutting down his factory while car factories back East remained open.

Now that is childishness if you ask me!

Like I said earlier, trying to run a business (or even just living) in California has a way of evolving one's views on the role government.

Face it, we have a rare case of a Silicon Valley Billionaire and CEO who does not hold 100% Leftist POV...........so he is hated by all the "right" people no matter how much good the man is providing humanity in terms of transitioning off fossil fuels.
I'm afraid your thinking and reasoning is illogical at best and convoluted at worst. If a policeman or prosecutor commit the very crime they are entrusted to prohibit and enforce, does that make the provision and crime less applicable to protect society? It would certainly be hypocritical and undermine their authority to a degree, however it does not make said prohibition, provision, or law less necessary. If the Governor of California acted in bad faith, he should face the public rebuke of his constituents and whatever penalties any other citizen would face.

What is draconian is having your previous head of state (the orange mental midget) advising some combination of use of bleach, warm summer breeze, and an unproven and unsuitable treatment (Hydroxychloroquine) as the remedy to a pandemic that was well underway. What is draconian is his governments denial, obfuscation, and deliberate misinformation that exacerbated a condition that required expertise, adherence to science, and execution. What is draconian is Elon's belief and arrogance that he can somehow extrapolate his expertise in another field and apply it to another in defiance of an entire scientific community because their message does not fit his agenda.

Draconian is a society that could have avoided much of this had it simply attempted to apply reason rather than superstition, logic in place of ideology, and acted responsibly rather than the impulse of unfounded and unseemly conspiracies to contain the spread of this virus that unleashed the unfortunate chain of events.

I think Elon took care of this with his tweets.
"Starts with a T Ends with an A
ESL in the middle."

“For reasons unknown, @potus is unable to say the word “Tesla””

Biden hates non union busines.
Maybe because they don’t make political contributions, but I’m not sure why.
this is why he never mentions Tesla. The only American car company to be created and succeed since about 1919.

I purchase an EV because I want a lower maintainance vehicle which doesn't rely on Gasoline or Diesel. I don't care about environmental, political, personal or any other reasons other then what this vehicle offers me above what else is available for my needs.

When I ordered my tesla I didn't think for 2 seconds about what Elon musk thinks or feels about ANYTHING and I still don't care.

There are pleanty of reasons to choose another EV over Tesla , Price, dash layout , looks.... Unfortunatley too many people these days seem to be obsessed with tribalising every aspect of their lives. If x company doesn't see my world view then they must be ostracised.

Newsflash, most companies don't care about anything but $$$. They may put out statments supporting X & Y so they aren't targetd by protestests but their support flows with the wind, but hey do whaterer makes you feel good.

I don’t understand why people are so up in arms about this. Who cares? It’s not like Biden is actively trying to stop Tesla from being a business. He doesn’t mention tons of other business out there.

If anything that build back better plan would have gave people more incentive to buy Tesla with the tax credit so doesn’t seem like he hates Tesla otherwise he would have been asking to keep the 200k limit on cars.

I was hoping this was a petition to fix the ride quality and\or seats! This is just a whiny fanboy petition.
Agreed and complete waste of time but this is the new "today". People don't get what they want so they start a petition and cry about it. This is the most stupid petition ever. They want someone to "acknowledge" something. Are you serious. You are petitioning for some duffus to get on a podium and mention a company. Come on people. Change.org has gotten out of control with all the whiners.

I purchase an EV because I want a lower maintainance vehicle which doesn't rely on Gasoline or Diesel. I don't care about environmental, political, personal or any other reasons other then what this vehicle offers me above what else is available for my needs.

When I ordered my tesla I didn't think for 2 seconds about what Elon musk thinks or feels about ANYTHING and I still don't care.

There are pleanty of reasons to choose another EV over Tesla , Price, dash layout , looks.... Unfortunatley too many people these days seem to be obsessed with tribalising every aspect of their lives. If x company doesn't see my world view then they must be ostracised.

Newsflash, most companies don't care about anything but $$$. They may put out statments supporting X & Y so they aren't targetd by protestests but their support flows with the wind, but hey do whaterer makes you feel good.
This is true. But Elon is pretty strongly tied to the identify of tesla.

It would be like buying a George Foreman grill and then George Foreman started doing a bunch of stupid nonsense on Twitter like tweeting about how the earth is flat or a long series of drunken tweets attacking Greenland or something. Eventually you'd maybe want to hide that grill when company is over just to avoid thr awkward conversations.

This is true. But Elon is pretty strongly tied to the identify of tesla.

It would be like buying a George Foreman grill and then George Foreman started doing a bunch of stupid nonsense on Twitter like tweeting about how the earth is flat or a long series of drunken tweets attacking Greenland or something. Eventually you'd maybe want to hide that grill when company is over just to avoid thr awkward conversations.

In the case of a product which carries the name of a celeb that has done something crazy or like OJ sponsoring isotoner gloves would not go over well.

But we aren't talking about someone who has done something heinous here, this thread is about someone having a fit because Elon personally disagrees with their political or socal standings on one issue or another. How dare he critize the government after all they did for him...

If he feels that Musk and his 18% of tesla has slighted him in some way then so be it, its his money he can spend it wherever he likes. Its a hell of a way to go through life, worrying about the opinions of others...but to each his own.

Last edited:
Reactions: indysurfer
I don't necessarily disagree with the intent of the petition, as it is frustrating that companies like GM (which is currently delivering zero EV's) and Ford (which currently has 1) are getting credit for the 'electrification' of the auto industry in the US. GM isn't even going to make good on it's CEO's promise from a few years ago of 20 new EV's by 2023. We all know that without Tesla, none of their (minimal) efforts to date would even have happened. I mean, it was only a year ago that GM was suing California over their ability to lower emissions standards and raise fuel economy targets compared to EPA targets.

In the case of a product which carries the name of a celeb that has done something crazy or like OJ sponsoring isotoner gloves would not go over well.

But we aren't talking about someone who has done something heinous here, this thread is about someone having a fit because Elon personally disagrees with their their political or socal standings on one issue or another. How dare he critize the government after all they did for him...

If he feels that Musk and his 18% of tesla has slighted him in some way then so be it, its his money he can spend it wherever he likes. Its a hell of a way to go through life, worrying about the opinions of others...but to each his own.
I just wish Elon could exercise more restraint. I'm not at the point the OP is, but why can't he take the high ground more often? When just about everyone is taking the low ground anymore, just rising above that would score him so many points with more people. With some of the crazy obnoxious things, really influential people (like politicians) are putting out there - targeting him specifically - a restrained, thoughtful statement from Elon would win so many more people over.

Like when that politician tweeted F*** you to Elon. He simply replied "message received". That was awesome! Don't give the other person any ammunition. Let them dig their own hole. I thought he was doing pretty well originally. But he's falling into the typical social media trap. It hurts those of us who really looked up to the man. I'm not asking him to be a saint. But i'm sorry, i can't completely separate the car from the person responsible for it coming into being.

Clearly this thread will be devolving into political bickering in short order.

I’d just like to point out that one can simultaneously be disgusted with Newsom’s and Musk’s behavior. I am.

And regardless of Musk’s intent or moral compass this is the first time in six years of being associated with Tesla that I have a tinge of embarrassment from having the logo on my car. I get the impression that this feeling was the root of the OP’s post; associating Musk with Tesla is damaging the brand for some of us. At least it is for me.

In any event my enthusiasm is waning due to Musk’s bloviating and it makes me less likely to elevate Tesla to the top of my next car shopping list. It doesn’t mean that what they have accomplished is any less incredible but the bloom is off the rose (for me).

Reactions: RD36 and onshi
Status
Not open for further replies.