Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've met quite a few people in the San Francisco area and all of them like the BART Bay Area Rapid Transport a lot.

BART.jpg
Yeah 'bidness is booming.

(Per the Merc, a liberal paper, that loves public transport.)

Yeah 'bidness is booming.

(Per the Merc, a liberal paper, that loves public transport.)

Pandemic has changed how we work. Ridership is down, traffic is down.. big whoop.

Its slowly changing back to how it was, before.

What’s your point, assuming you have one?

But whats that got to do with BART?

Somethings are up in Texas. Something are up in Florida too. Must we devolve everything into a political debate?

If you have to discuss politics, there are threads aplenty for you to go and vent in.
When someone puts “BIDEN”, one of the worst politicians in history for America, it’s going to be a politically charged thread 🤓

• Disagree
Reactions: Corndart
Well, if he is the worst, guess what YOUR politician is. Just blah blah venting without much substance or relevance is what clueless, unprincipled, traitorous and may I add, hypocrite conservatives do.

Take your crap elsewhere. I’m sure it will be well received in your circles.

Well, if he is the worst, guess what YOUR politician is. Just blah blah venting without much substance or relevance is what clueless, unprincipled, traitorous and may I add, hypocrite conservatives do.

Take your crap elsewhere. I’m sure it will be well received in your circles.
First, I’m a libertarian and I’m pretty certain your idol Elon is too. Second, virtually no one thinks Biden is doing even a mediocre job, so your circle is about a circle of one.

Elon is not my idol. I respect what he has achieved, but I’m actually of the opinion he is doing more harm than good to Tesla nowadays.

BTW, ‘virtually nobody’s thinks Biden is doing a good job’ sounds better if you preface with ‘in my world’.

In fact, I’d recommend you should add those words to pretty much everything you say about politics. Might start making you sound a bit more rational.

Now, I must bit adieu to you sir. Don’t expect more discussion from me.

Actually think he is doing well. Much better than that mistake we had in office immediately before…
Record Inflation, more COVID deaths under Biden even though he was handed a vaccine, disastrous Afghanistan withdraw, emboldened tyrant nations like China due to his weakness, restricting oil and gas in USA but then buying it from Russia, empty shelves in the store, border is wide open which has increased fentanyl drastically here, and he’ll probably start WWII. Yes, he’s doing a great job if you look at it through a lens in Iran, Venezuela, China, or North Korea.

Last edited:
Record Inflation, more COVID deaths under Biden even though he was handed a vaccine, disastrous Afghanistan withdraw, emboldened tyrant nations like China due to his weakness, restricting oil and gas in USA but then buying it from Russia, empty shelves in the store, border is wide open which has increased fentanyl drastically here, and he’ll probably start WWII. Yes, he’s doing a great job if you look at it through a lens in Iran, Venezuela, China, or North Korea.
Wow, he is truly awesome as according to your post Biden invented time travel. Start WWII? Lol! You trumpers need help. Lol!

Lots of insults but zero substance. This is your support for additional government intervention in our lives at our expense.
Every government ever created has intervened with peoples lives. You’ll need to go live on an island somewhere to be free of any government intervention. And yes, for full transparency, I’m thankful the government is subsidizing an electric future over a fossil fuels future.

While governments have done power grabs and then not given it back, the Patriot Act being an example, there are also cases where governments have taken powers in an emergency and then given them back. That frequently happens after a natural disaster like a hurricane, tornado, or severe earthquake. It also happened during the world wars in the US and many other countries.
The Canadian government it’s invoking the emergencies act to squash the trucker protests. It has never been used before and it is unclear how the protests met the strict standards required to use it.

BBC news

In addition they are using the war on terror law to take hacked donor data from givesendgo and freeze bank accounts of citizens that donated to the trucker protest.

Substack article

This is the same Trudeau that took a knee during BLM protests at the height of the pandemic in 2020.

Elon’s tweets are looking fairly prescient right now IMO. The only people who don’t seem to care are the ones whose politics align with the current administration but fail to realize that one day someone who they don’t agree with will be in power and likely be able to use the same tactics against them. The worst part is that this is all happening as many governments are dropping mandates (which is what the protests are about).

This appears to be false. I guess we'll see.

It’s not false

The regulation's definition of a "designated person" also includes people who "provide property to facilitate or participate in any assembly." In other words, under these regulations, anyone sending funds to support these protests could be facing a shaky financial future.

CBC article

The government may or may not have provided the donor list to the banks but the list has been made public and can be used by the institutions in such a manner.

A member of parliament has tweeted this has already happened.

Twitter

Now it is possible that the MP is lying or mistaken. I can’t say for sure. But it is within the powers granted to do so and I am taking him at his word.

But yes, I guess we’ll see how far they take it.

Maybe, but that has nothing to do with what I said. We’ll see.
Because what you said did not respond to my comment. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you took “they” to mean the Canadian government while only the first part of that post actually addressed what the Canadian government is doing. The enacting of the law which basically designates the people protesting as terrorists combined with the release of the hacked donor data puts them all at risk because the banks can cease doing business with them. There’s no liability to the banks for doing so. From the article I posted that I’m assuming you read before responding…

Are there any legal implications for the banks?

Banks have been granted immunity against legal action in the event of disputes over whether someone should have been denied financial services.

"No proceedings under the Emergencies Act and no civil proceedings lie against an entity for complying with this Order," the regulations read.

So to recap:

1. Canadian government mandates vaccines for truckers to do their jobs.
  2. Truckers protest peacefully though irritatingly. I personally don’t think protesters should block roads etc… but the last couple years have established that those things are tolerated if your politics are right…
  3. Canadian government figures (mostly Trudeau) attempt to paint protestors as racist, misogynistic, anti vax mobs despite no evidence that I’ve seen of widespread violence or harassment.
  4. Rather than just clear them out with the police and arrest those that broke the law, the Canadian government invokes laws created to go after terrorists which allows the freezing of assets and suspension of civil liberties. This allows the government to freeze the assets of those involved in the protests and the courts to block the distribution of the crowdfunding donations to the intended targets.
  5. Hackers steal the anonymous donor data from a crowdfunding site and post it online.
  6. Donors are identified, doxxed, and in some cases fired, threatened, and have their businesses targeted by activists to the point that they have to close down.
  7. Under the powers granted by the emergency measures there is nothing to prevent these donors from having their bank accounts frozen and one MP claims this has already happened.
And this is all happening in a western liberal democracy that tolerated mass protests over the last few years from pipeline blockades to BLM without invoking these same rules. So once again… Elon had a point. That’s the last I’m gonna say about it before I get warned about “politics” again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.