Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting...
How Jack Welch’s Reign at G.E. Gave Us Elon Musk’s Twitter Feed

His pupils, though, went on to run dozens of other major companies, including Home Depot, Albertson’s, Chrysler and Boeing. Most of them failed. And in the decades since Mr. Welch assumed power, the economy at large has come to resemble his skewed priorities. Wages stagnated and jobs moved overseas. C.E.O. pay went stratospheric and buybacks and dividends boomed. Factories closed and companies found ways to pay fewer taxes. Beyond his enduring influence on the economy, Mr. Welch also redefined what it meant to be a boss, personifying an aggressive, materialistic style of management that endures to this day.

In retirement, Mr. Welch continued to hold sway over the business world as an elder statesman, penning books and columns, and appearing on cable news to praise the executives he had groomed and continue his assault on taxation and regulation. Mr. Welch also pursued an unexpected retirement pastime: He became an internet troll. His old friend Donald J. Trump seemed to lead the way on many conspiracy theories that Mr. Welch embraced. But by 2012, Mr. Welch was picking fights of his own with his online adversaries, trying to own the libs on Twitter and promulgating conspiracy theories about the Obama administration.

Here’s my take: (not that you asked me and probably don’t care but here it is anyway ;) )

What is Elon’s goal? To get everyone to switch to EVs and sustainable energy ASAP. NOT to just buy a Tesla. Tesla has plenty of business. Dems already will buy EVs. Republicans are a bit less likely on average. So pandering to the right a bit will get more of them to consider it. That’s a win for his goal even if he loses customers on the left.

Also he has seen ridiculous attacks from the left. Downright lying from big names like Warren and Sanders. He has also seen major support for Giga Texas by the right. Hence is favoring the right at the moment. This is probably the biggest driver for him supporting the center right.

Since Elon was serious about buying Twitter just like he was serious about starting the boring company while sitting in traffic, this really could not play out any other way.

Twitter didn’t want to sell. Had Elon raised the concern about bots being more than 5% prior to the agreed sale, Twitter would just say, “that’s what it is. If you don’t believe us….tough, walk away”. After all, Twitter was considering a poison pill to keep Elon away.

My prediction is that Elon will go through with buying Twitter no matter what but for (hopefully) a reduced price.

As far as if this is a good move? I think ultimately he could make Twitter very profitable and probably at least double the value when he IPO’s it in a few years.

Probably his money is better kept in Tesla as far as gains are concerned but this Twitter purchase has been insane free advertising so far. (Although I guess buying Twitter isn’t free and the stock has taken a temporary hit.). Therefore really expensive advertising….haha. But… I’m a glass half full kinda person in regards to Elon.
More clueless pettiness from Elon.

More clueless pettiness from Elon.

Oh please. SHE started it by saying now that Elon is buying Twitter, she will have to sell her Tesla.

You left that important FACT out. She's been attacking him relentlessly over the past year.

Republicans are a bit less likely on average. So pandering to the right a bit will get more of them to consider it. That’s a win for his goal even if he loses customers on the left.
Demand for EV's is increasing all the time and will continue to do so regardless of pandering. There are simple ways to bring in more people if needed from "the other side" without alienating the existing base.

What would really help EV adoption is increasing production and driving down costs. 44 billion could be much better spent than on Twitter if the main goal is faster EV adoption.

Sounds like two brats having a temper tantrum.
Grow up.
Doesn't Elon have more important things to do?

Does it matter? Do you think he gives a F what you and I say or want him to do?

Everyone in this thread is crying over spilt milk. Elon is going to do Elon, and no one is going to sway him what-so-ever.

Relentlessly, really?

FRk7uihVEAAZcMf

This is about all I could find. She didn't @ him (like he's doing now to her, relentlessly, some might say) and clarified it wasn't even about Elon.

Elon trying to force himself into everything is a bit childish and I think reflects a rather fragile ego.

Another example - he's clarifying he's switching parties and will now vote Republican because a Democratic administration isn't paying enough attention to his EV company. If Tesla is such a powerful EV player (and they are), why does he need the recognition of a Presidential administration? And why is that suddenly grounds for switching parties? It's all just so incoherent and pathetic. He is not coming across as a strong CEO or leader over the past month.

She wasn't thinking of Elon and this was deeply upsetting to him.
That’s not the part I was referring to. This is:

“The exchange began when Ms Ocasio-Cortez tweeted on Friday that she was tired of a “billionaire with an ego problem” who controlled a “massive communications platform” for enabling the right, but did not name the person or company behind her message.”

Does it matter? Do you think he gives a F what you and I say or want him to do?

Oh most definitely. Did you not hear the about the incident with the submarine guy?

I suspect this hard shift to the right is due to Biden not mentioning Tesla when he talks about EVs.

Additionally I have to point out, this is a discussion forum. Nobody thinks Elon is reading this. It's not a bunch of online prayers to Electric Jesus. It's just people talking.

That’s not the part I was referring to. This is:

“The exchange began when Ms Ocasio-Cortez tweeted on Friday that she was tired of a “billionaire with an ego problem” who controlled a “massive communications platform” for enabling the right, but did not name the person or company behind her message.”
“I was talking about Zuckerberg but ok” - AOC

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Oh most definitely. Did you not hear the about the incident with the submarine guy?

I suspect this hard shift to the right is due to Biden not mentioning Tesla when he talks about EVs.

Additionally I have to point out, this is a discussion forum. Nobody thinks Elon is reading this. It's not a bunch of online prayers to Electric Jesus. It's just people talking.

VERY different things.

My point, all the whining and crying in this thread are going to do ZERO to dissuade Elon from buying Twitter. Additionally, all the attacks by the left on him for buying it are doing nothing except reinforcing his belief that he needs to buy it. He's not one to back down from a fight, and views that this is a fight worth his time, and the more he is attacked the more that view is reinforced.

Grabs 🍿

VERY different things.

My point, all the whining and crying in this thread are going to do ZERO to dissuade Elon from buying Twitter. Additionally, all the attacks by the left on him for buying it are doing nothing except reinforcing his belief that he needs to buy it. He's not one to back down from a fight, and views that this is a fight worth his time, and the more he is attacked the more that view is reinforced.

Grabs 🍿

The right attacked Tesla for receiving "government subsidies" (EV tax credits, really) and suddenly he agrees that the government should end subsidies. Odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.