Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, you feel it's everyone else's job to ignore Elon's personal attacks on social media to help make the world a better place, when Elon claims he spent billions of Twitter make it a civilized town hall for the good of society?
You feel it's everyone else's job to ignore Hillary's? I have no regrets that he "fact checked" her. Past time the lies and misinformation of the left were, and not just the right. Particularly when her comments are aimed at demonizing half the country.

And yet the NYT runs with unsupported conspiracy theories, trying to link the assailant with the GOP. A man that lived in a "hippy commune" flying LGBTQ flags and BLM posters. Lots of other info out there, not all substantiated, but he certainly comes across as much more affiliated with the left than the right. Ultimately though, he is simply mentally ill. Perhaps the "defund the police" and "no bail" movement coming home to roost?

Mentally ill for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if he's never voted. Then again, more than a few of the Jan. 6th lynch mob didn't vote either. It seems like most of the GOP in DC are taking an appropriate stance on the Pelosi invasion/assault. The fact is that the widespread election denialism within the GOP has given oxygen to the fringe Qanon elements within the party. It's dangerous, and we're seeing the strange fruits of that denialism.

It was needed. Hillary was promoting an unsupported conspiracy theory linking Paul's assailant to the GOP, promoting hate and fomenting violence. Glad he called her out. To say nothing about the fact that lots of things about the case look very fishy, A family with a net worth of $500 mil or so doesn't have a security system or security guards? And Paul names the man and describes him as a friend, according to police radio traffic (from what I have read anyway-right now don't trust any source for accurate info about this).
No, he does NOT describe the assailant as a friend. Go back and read the transcript. The crazed assailant is telling Paul Pelosi he is a friend of Pelosi's wife and wants to see her.
The person writing up the report used “he” several times in a row to confusing effect. A cop or 911 dispatcher who’s not great with written grammar is the issue. Simple reading comprehension, people.

Last edited:
Which side actively committed domestic terrorism against ordinary American citizens for 2 years? Looting stores, burning businesses, dragging people from their cars and beating them, burning and destroying cars, firebombing police stations and holding an entire neighborhood hostage for 6 weeks, while a complicit city leadership looked on? These were terrorist attacks against ordinary American citizens. I do not support 1/6. Up until then, the conservatives had the unequivocal moral high ground. Those that entered the Capitol threw that away and gave the media and leftists something to hide behind. But for all that-1/6 was a "VIOLENT COUP ATTEMPT whipped up by the loser of the election" protest, aimed solely at government figures, not ordinary American citizens.
FTFY

Really? Seriously? "moral high ground"
I guess it's true that there are multiverses and people can slip between them, or their conciousness
A gallows is definately a violent protest it seems

Last edited:
I have been looking forward to receiving my Model Y for 9 months now. I've ordered accessories and even installed a Tesla home charger. I'm finally due to pick it up on Wednesday, but I'm strongly thinking about cancelling and I'm super sad about that, because I think Tesla's are the best cars available right now. But one of my big reasons for buying a car was to do some good in the world. I just can't, in good conscience, support a CEO that is creating so much turmoil.

I think Tesla is overall helping the world transition to electric cars, but I feel terribly guilty about giving money to Elon Musk. I realize other car companies have CEOs that are likely just as bad, but no other CEO is the face of a company in the way that Elon is. And I worry about being complicit to his actions by buying this car.

I haven't made a decision yet. Is anybody else struggling with this? I was really looking forward to this car. Thanks.

I have been looking forward to receiving my Model Y for 9 months now. I've ordered accessories and even installed a Tesla home charger. I'm finally due to pick it up on Wednesday, but I'm strongly thinking about cancelling and I'm super sad about that, because I think Tesla's are the best cars available right now. But one of my big reasons for buying a car was to do some good in the world. I just can't, in good conscience, support a CEO that is creating so much turmoil.

I think Tesla is overall helping the world transition to electric cars, but I feel terribly guilty about giving money to Elon Musk. I realize other car companies have CEOs that are likely just as bad, but no other CEO is the face of a company in the way that Elon is. And I worry about being complicit to his actions by buying this car.

I haven't made a decision yet. Is anybody else struggling with this? I was really looking forward to this car. Thanks.
It’s a public company most of which is owned by people other than Elon.

I understand your conflict. I have a model Y coming next month and while I plan to take delivery because I think it is a great car, I wish Elon would clam up about things unrelated to his expertise. He has a lot of vision with regard to a few things, but on many others he’s clearly thought no deeper about the subject than a stoned frat boy.

He isn’t helping any of his companies or the world with his nonsense.

@snow_drive Not exactly answering to your 'turmoil' thought, but honestly I am more than in extase by Tesla
who was starting from nothing and became the world EV leader company in less than ten years.

If you look at the decline of many industries in the US, Tesla and SpaceX have became new spearhead of the US economy.

I wish our Government takes more strategic manufacturing and infrastructure decisions
than having all those politicals and lobby short term interests.

I was just reading this article which covers many aspects of the US economy situation:

A lot of the decline can be traced to political failures.
Our politicians participated in, and even led, our decline.
I will assert that it was not all Republicans on one side and Democrats on the other.
The people giving America’s greatness away included some on both sides of the political spectrum.
Clearly “R” and “D” won’t do, so we need a new label for them.
I suggest we make an acronym from “Give American Greatness Away.”
That would be “GAGA.”
A lot of our decline is due to our neglect of our leadership in renewable energy.​
Let’s start with an example comparing just two facts:​
- In November of 2020, ... “There are presently close to 650 electric buses … running in the United States.”​
- Two months later, in January of 2021, ... “BYD Will Sell 1,002 More Electric Buses To Bogotá, Colombia.”​
So we had somehow fallen sufficiently far behind on electric buses that a Latin American city was buying,​
in a single purchase, more electric buses than existed in the entire US of A.​
How on Earth could this happen?​
My point was more looking at the positive aspect of the US 'laissez faire' regarding disruptive innovations.

Last edited:

(not moderator note, not representing TMC, TMC moderators, or anyone other than jjrandorin the regular poster)

I actually get people will make decisions based on whatever they think is correct, and support anyone who decides to make such a decision. What I dont get, frankly, is peoples need to get validation from others (post) about such a thing.

Do what you are going to do, and whatever you choose is the right thing for you, but everything doesnt need online validation from other people.

(not moderator note, not representing TMC, TMC moderators, or anyone other than jjrandorin the regular poster)

I actually get people will make decisions based on whatever they think is correct, and support anyone who decides to make such a decision. What I dont get, frankly, is peoples need to get validation from others (post) about such a thing.

Do what you are going to do, and whatever you choose is the right thing for you, but everything doesnt need online validation from other people.
Exactly

🤣 seriously? Oh please do it. There are thousands of people waiting to take your car.

Do what’s best for you. Elon will never know one way or the other. So if you like the car, get the car. You are not responsible for his behavior so you are not complicit in his actions.

If you decide not to get the car, and it’s the car you want, you’ll hurt yourself but not Elon.

If you cannot get by the bugaboos and it’s going to haunt you every time you think of the car, then you shouldn’t get it. It isn’t worth it. But if you can enjoy a truly great car, separate the car from the man, and learn to chuckle at the man’s antics, then you‘ll enjoy the car. His income will not change one iota, if you don’t take the car it’ll go to someone else. That person won’t enjoy the antics either but he/she will have a very nice car.

I don't think the OP is looking for validation, just advice and discussion.

Just put a F--- Elon sticker on the back and enjoy the car. (starting to see a lot of these).

Then if in 5 years Elon drifts back toward a more mainstream likeablity, just peel the sticker off.

IDK, I thought about his very recent shenanigans and my ongoing ownership of the car, but still, as crazy as he's been acting lately, he helped Tesla steer the entire auto industry toward an electric future. I still give him credit for that.

Drivetrain/battery/charging network, no one else comes close. I wouldn't buy any other EV until there's 5 more years of battery history.

At the end of the day, I worry most about my own actions. I don't want to burn any more oil, full stop. Doing everything I can to get to that point asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.