Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll - 14 day EAP trial!

If you have received your EAP trial, based upon the trial have you (for the car)

• decided to buy FSD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • decided to buy EAP - I was planning to anyway

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • decided to buy EAP - I was not planning to but liked what I saw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • decided not to buy EAP - I was planning to but found it not to my liking

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • decided not to buy EAP - I wasn't planning to anyway

Votes: 82 52.2%
  • not made up my mind yet

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • previously purchased EAP or FSD

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • not been offered the trial

Votes: 35 22.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do purchasers of EAP/FSD in the UK get the 'Mad Max' option on the Model 3? I thought that was a North America thing?

I have the toggle in NoA settings for it, not actually tried to activate it yet.
Not sure what Mad Max Mode does, I have the option to turn it on, but haven't. However, I just had a quick blast along the motorway with navigate on Autopilot on, the car waited to it was right on the motorway exit, before suddenly swerving, without slowing down at all. I had thought it was going to take the next exit, so got the fright of my life. Hope Mad Max mode doesn't make it even worse.

Not impressed with nav on ap, however, Auto Lane Change is fantastic. Makes the car so much better on autopilot.

Not sure what Mad Max Mode does, I have the option to turn it on, but haven't. However, I just had a quick blast along the motorway with navigate on Autopilot on, the car waited to it was right on the motorway exit, before suddenly swerving, without slowing down at all. I had thought it was going to take the next exit, so got the fright of my life. Hope Mad Max mode doesn't make it even worse.

Not impressed with nav on ap, however, Auto Lane Change is fantastic. Makes the car so much better on autopilot.
Mad Max is (as I recall) one of the auto-lane change settings. The car will prompt you to confirm a lane change when you catch up with the car in front. Mad Max means that it will want to change lanes when there is only a small speed difference between you and the car in front, whereas at the other settings your car is more likely to slow down, match the speed of the car in front and follow it. It doesn't change the speed of lane changes, just how often it wants to make them.

EDIT: from the Model 3 European manual:
  • Speed Based Lane Changes: Navigate on Autopilot is designed to perform both route-based and speed-based lane changes. Route-based lane changes are designed to keep you on your navigation route (for example, moving you into an adjacent lane to prepare for an upcoming off-ramp)whereas speed-based lane changes are designed to maintain a driving speed (not to exceed your cruising speed) that allows you to minimize the time it takes to reach your destination (for example, moving into an adjacent lane to pass a vehicle in front of you). Speed-based lanes changes are optional. You can use this setting to disable speed-based lane changes or to specify how aggressively you want Navigate on Autopilot to change lanes to achieve the set cruising speed. The MILD setting is more conservative about lane changes and may result in a slightly longer driving time whereas MAD MAX is designed to allow you to reach your destination in the shortest driving time possible, but will only change lanes when safe to do so.

Last edited:
Mine is leased through Tesla and I have the upgrades available in app, however no email as of yet?
Mine is leased through Tesla as well and I got the email earlier at about 4:30 pm..

I’m not using the car much at the moment but it’s due at the Stockport SC to fix some build issues on Friday. I’m also now off work until Wednesday when, by coincidence, my referral Supercharger miles run out. There should be ample opportunity to test some of the features.

Prob I’m being stupid but...Summon doesn’t want to move the car forward 20 ft to where I’m standing (says key card to far from car?).... and couldn’t get auto park working....will try the autonomous driving tomorrow on commute to work.

Prob I’m being stupid but...Summon doesn’t want to move the car forward 20 ft to where I’m standing (says key card to far from car?).... and couldn’t get auto park working....will try the autonomous driving tomorrow on commute to work.
You have to be within a metre or so of the car (however close you need to be for the car to use your phone as a key.) Limited due to regulations.

Basically walk alongside the car whilst using summon so you stay in range. Somewhat defeats the point but useful for reversing back up to a wall after taking shopping out or getting out of a tight space.

Yup, that’s the state of Summon in the UK for you.

It doesn’t work over wireless, like in the States, only Bluetooth and very short range Bluetooth as well. I want to say it’s whatever range opening the car is, if not less. You certainly have to be in touching distance, which of course means the car is super skittish as it worries about hitting you

There used to be a trick of putting a second paired phone in the car to fool the car into thinking it were close by, and Summoning it from another one, but Tesla stopped it from working :(

It’s good for going backwards and forwards, but that’s about it in the UK for now.

The whole thing needs to be pick and mix - buy / subscribe to the items you thing bring the best benefits for you. I'm sure that would be a bigger revenue stream that having to buy / subscribe to the whole EAP.

I agree with you. Would be better for users, and overall probably a better earner for Tesla, if they allowed people to buy specific features that appealed rather than bundling them up for, in this case, a hefty £3,400.

I received the trial email yesterday for my Sept 2019 LR, but I’m not entirely sure I’ll even use it as I’m not driving many miles over the next 14 days to be able to test it out. The ”stay local” rules in Wales are a tad restrictive on that front. Neither am I convinced that Navigate on Autopilot, for example, will be remotely effective on short rural drives, it’s more for longer road trips via motorways etc. This is an assumption I’m making based on standard autopilot.

Still, overall I think it’s positive that Tesla are letting people get a trial, for some it’ll work well and encourage them to upgrade so seems a reasonable strategy.