Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll - 14 day EAP trial!

If you have received your EAP trial, based upon the trial have you (for the car)

• decided to buy FSD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • decided to buy EAP - I was planning to anyway

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • decided to buy EAP - I was not planning to but liked what I saw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • decided not to buy EAP - I was planning to but found it not to my liking

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • decided not to buy EAP - I wasn't planning to anyway

Votes: 82 52.2%
  • not made up my mind yet

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • previously purchased EAP or FSD

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • not been offered the trial

Votes: 35 22.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw summon on the app but ignored it until I saw posts here about people getting an EAP trial - full autopilot with lane change and navigate on autopilot. Discovered I’d got it and tried it on the motorway. It works but not worth paying for for me. My software page says trial ends 8 April so not much chance to play with it. I don’t understand why it wasn’t advertised by email or in the version notes when it got switched on.

It's software-enabled feature that's easily taken away. Mistakes happen. If you can't stand this kind of mistake, please go to the phone app and schedule an appointment.
European owners have been given free trials to access Enhanced Auto Pilot. This started mid-March but seems that owners have been bought on in tranches since the trial began. It's supposed to be a two week trial, I'm currently enjoying my third week as Tesla have yet to remove it from my account.

I received an email with the details, but some haven't, so it's come as quite a surprise for some owners.

It seems Tesla headlights are affected by some software updates that for some inexplicable reason raises the beam too much - usually unbeknownst to you but results in you getting flashed at more than usual.

Been ok for lots of updates but recently found my dipped beams had magically moved themselves way too high.

You can adjust them from the service menu - first find some flat level ground with a light-coloured wall (preferred but brick will do) for a "target".
Park facing the wall several metres away and start the headlight calibration - it auto-sets to something reasonable after which you can tweak each beam to your own preference.
I wondered whether this affects people that are parked on an incline when software updates are installed? Mine have never moved over at least 20 updates but parked on a level drive.

The lights on my 2019 M3P are utter crap. The light output is feeble, they don’t turn off fast enough for oncoming cars and are too slow to turn back on again afterwards. They don’t turn off in urban areas where there is plenty of ambient light. And, of course, they are just bog standard lights rather than matrix.

The way every single chevron sign makes them turn off is extremely irritating. By definition a chevron sign means you’re approaching a bend when you need raised beam most, and the stupid car turns them off. I turned the auto feature off a long time ago because it’s just not fit for purpose.

In this respect at least Tesla is years behind other manufacturers.
Worth double checking they are aimed correctly.

I had the same concern with my current car (going from Halogen ->LED) and found that Tesla had never adjusted them before delivery.
The nearside one took 6 full turns of the adjuster to put it right!
Was like it had had a stroke.

Light output (auto main beam disabled) has been fine since.

The cars are (mostly) great but how long do we have to keep making excuses for the company, specifically in this case West Drayton's incompetence.

I've found the Auto Headlights to be extremely good at dipping when I want them to. In you chevron example, the reflective signs can be super dazzling for me when full beam is on, and if I were controlling manually I would usually dip in those circumstances. It also dips when passing through a village and when there are cars in front. For me it's perfect. Maybe you have different preferences to me, but that's the thing - the auto setting will inevitably have to make choices that won't necessarily line up with your preference. Either way, you can still switch it manually if you like!

This sounds like you are on AP1 - which was indeed much better in this respect and auto wipers too.
This is where mobileye had the basics sorted, but Tesla with AP2 are pushing ahead with cutting edge technology but not paying sufficient attention imho to these basics.

I noticed I had the summon option in my Tesla app yesterday - not tried it yet but like you I haven’t subscribed to anything and no emails from Tesla or anything showing in account about a trial.
Having had a look in the car it appears they’ve decided to give me a trial of enhanced autopilot for a grand total of 3 days (it shows as expiring tomorrow) all without any kind of email :)

European owners have been given free trials to access Enhanced Auto Pilot. This started mid-March but seems that owners have been bought on in tranches since the trial began. It's supposed to be a two week trial, I'm currently enjoying my third week as Tesla have yet to remove it from my account.

I received an email with the details, but some haven't, so it's come as quite a surprise for some owners.

It is a mistake that some owners are not informed of. If owners don't point that out to Tesla such as with a phone call or even with a service appointment, there's no incentive for Tesla to correct the mistake of poor communications.

It is a mistake that some owners are not informed of. If owners don't point that out to Tesla such as with a phone call or even with a service appointment, there's no incentive for Tesla to correct the mistake of poor communications.
If someone leaves an unexpected gift on your doorstep do you complain because they didn’t tell you in advance? I think Tesla’s communication is rubbish but on this occasion I’m not complaining.

If someone leaves an unexpected gift on your doorstep do you complain because they didn’t tell you in advance? I think Tesla’s communication is rubbish but on this occasion I’m not complaining.
I take your point, but where the "gift" is a time-limited trial, then I think to expect a heads-up from the donor isn't unreasonable. In my case, I happened to fire up the Tesla app and noticed the "Summon" option - that was the first I knew that EAP was available to me and, checking the status in the car, I had just a few days left.
I did get the chance yesterday to try the auto lane change and I must admit it worked very well. I also tried out summon and, while it sort of works if you stand next to the car, in my own case I can think of perhaps a couple of times a year when it might get used - if someone parks so close that I can't get in the driver's door! I certainly wouldn't ever pay £3,400 for it!
The trial should end today, so it will be interesting to see if it does!

My trial supposedly ends today and fortunately I had the opportunity to try it properly this afternoon.

Of all the features I tested, I have to say, I was very impressed with the auto lane change and exiting a junction. I did however have an instance where the car chickened out of a lane change mid-manoeuvre, which wasn't pleasant. But I drove 80 miles on the motorway and had no other severe phantom braking events.

Summon is more of a party trick than of any use, though.

Not worth £3,400 in my opinion; not sure what I'd pay for this, but I'd definitely use it.

Reactions: Alistairuk
Mine should have ended yesterday but still have summon enabled on the App today.
This crippled Euro version of summon is useless and you need to be so close that the car can run over your toes. Some safety feature that!

Haven't had a chance to do much motorway driving but it was nice to overtake without AP switching off every time.

Would need a long drive to try it properly before putting my hand deep in my pocket and would prefer a monthly subscription arrangement similar to the data I have subscribed to.

I have noticed on the latest order page that "Enhanced Summon" will be released whatever that is.

I didn't get any email, but spotted summon on the app.
It's almost useful for me as I have a car port and depending on how the wife has parked it can be extremely tight to get in and out off. I thought summon would chicken out of there was less than a foot on each side, but it seemed to be ok.
AEP also worked quite well, a bit slow to move back into an empty left lane, but did change and come off at junctions ok. My biggest issue was testing it this morning where it was spitting with rain and it refused to initiate as it had detected adverse weather. This was about as light as rain gets in the UK with the wipers on slow but it still refused. I'd even cleaned all the cameras the night before.
The gains over standard AP are just so small it's crazy that they seem to think they need 3 iterations. You should just have AP with EAP merged into it and FSD no middle option

Mine was due to expire yesterday (having just appeared a few days ago) - I decided to go long way round on my way back from my jog today and go down the motorway for 20 miles and back again just to try it....

My thoughts - it’s a gimmick - I didn’t find it particularly useful it constantly went up behind slower moving traffic (and the roads were not at all busy) and slowed right down before deciding it wanted to change lane... It changed lane successfully most of the time and speed up again - moving back to the inside lane was a lot smoother can’t really complain about that and it moved into the inside lane ready to take the junction quite far in advance but fair enough. Most of the road was quiet but at a slightly busier junction where I joined the motorway it faffed around too much - it joined into a 4 lane section where the inner 2 lanes are a junction in 2 miles... it moved almost immediately to lane 2 then faffed around changing its mind a few times about moving to lane 3 (despite being behind a slower car and the display indicated that it knew it had to be in lane 3 or 4) in end I took over and did it myself - dread to think how it would of handled it when it’s not quiet!

One point is that I found myself constantly looking at the screen to see if it was going to decide to change lane rather than paying full attention to the road (maybe it’s just cause I’m not used to it) but I didn’t like that...

if your doing long motorway drives regularly I’m sure you might like it but from my short experience of it - I’m sure it would annoy me and be nothing more than a gimmick in its current state - but then I quite like driving.

Summon is a party trick and nothing most people would find useful!

My opinion it’s definitley not worth the cost - I’d rather just have lane keeping and TACC- perhaps if there’s a reasonably priced subscription I might be tempted to enable it for a month if I’m doing long distance motorway road trip but it would need to be less than £20!

Reactions: Rustybkts
There are no motorways in our area but yesterday I required to make a longer trip that was for a family medical reason and therefore "legal". I was able to take the car off on my own whilst waiting (possibly stretching the "legal" bit). This turned out to be the last day that the EAP trial was live for me (it was supposed to end on 31st March according to the email I had received.) I travelled on some motorway sections with light traffic so was able to try the features.

I couldn't help myself making sure all was clear before initiating lane changes! The car did what it was supposed to do in that scenario. Driving along on the open road seemed a bit smoother than the last time I tried standard AP. There were no spurious deceleration events during the 40 minutes I was on motorways. The first independent off ramp move was made but then baulked for some reason and handed back control. On another occasion it was supposed to be leaving the motorway but didn't make the move at all and I had to make a very late over-rule to get onto the off ramp. I'm also finding that my car is being generally more sensitive to the hands on the wheel pressure so it baled for that reason too. As with others I found myself having to spend a fair amount time supervising what was going on ... I suppose you would develop a familiarity over time that might reduce that. For the period I drove with EAP I was less relaxed than driving directly ... maybe that's inevitable initially. The technology is still impressive in many ways and so I was pleased to try it. It's not something I would pay money for at the moment though.