Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: 2022 Model Y Release Date

On what date will Tesla release the 2022 Model Y?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unlike other manufacturers Tesla is simply making changes to their cars. A good example is radar removal mid year. So, sometime early next year they will change something and call it model 2022.

Reactions: TSLY
On what date will Tesla release the 2022 Model Y? I vote for October 20, 2021 during the Q3 Earnings Call. What date do you think it'll be and why?
They wouldn’t announce anything MY related on an earnings call. There’s nothing to say about it.

The model year cutover will happen at some point in October and will be entirely unceremonious.

The next generation of the Model Y will come out when Tera Texas comes online and they can bring the dual Gigapress version online.

If the 4680 is ready it will ship then. Otherwise we're likely to see another iteration shortly after the 4680 cell is ready. Hopefully we'll see both the dual gigapress and 4680 all launch at the same time.

The next generation of the Model Y will come out when Tera Texas comes online and they can bring the dual Gigapress version online.

If the 4680 is ready it will ship then. Otherwise we're likely to see another iteration shortly after the 4680 cell is ready. Hopefully we'll see both the dual gigapress and 4680 all launch at the same time.
My OD is 9/8 and my bouncing EDD just got pushed from Dec to Jan 19 - Feb 16. Fingers crossed for a TX model and double fingers/hands/feet crossed for the 4680

No they won’t. 99% of the general public does not know what a 4680 or a 2170 cell is.
I believe you’re correct. But, I also believe the general public knows that electric vehicles are known for their limited range. As such, if new Teslas come out with 400+ mile ranges, the general public, and more importantly, the electric vehicle driving public will value longer range over shorter range.
Regardless, its impossible to say if used, older battery tech will depreciate after an increase in range. I think a massive difference in range would have to be implemented across the Tesla product line for older battery tech/less range vehicles to depreciate quickly.

Reactions: glide
I believe you’re correct. But, I also believe the general public knows that electric vehicles are known for their limited range. As such, if new Teslas come out with 400+ mile ranges, the general public, and more importantly, the electric vehicle driving public will value longer range over shorter range.
Regardless, its impossible to say if used, older battery tech will depreciate after an increase in range. I think a massive difference in range would have to be implemented across the Tesla product line for older battery tech/less range vehicles to depreciate quickly.
I agree. But also keep in mind the general public believes 350 miles of advertised range is what they are going to get in practice. So it would need to be a substantial increase to get anyone’s attention.

I agree. But also keep in mind the general public believes 350 miles of advertised range is what they are going to get in practice. So it would need to be a substantial increase to get anyone’s attention.
I find it interesting how the range estimates on ICE cars jump around a ton based on different factors (speed, temp, altitude, etc.) but people seem to forget that the same thing applies for EVs.

You can argue that since Electric motors are 85-90% efficient vs ~40% for ICE they are impacted much more by these factors. Ultimately, I think that no one even thinks about range in an ICE because gas stations are everywhere but people fixate on EV range because it requires much more planning to make sure you can charge. Hopefully, we'll get to a place where DC fast chargers are every 50mi. or so and range will become less important.

Model S resale values didn’t crash because the 400+ mile Model S LR range was released.

What is likely to have a bigger impact on used prices is if the subsidy passes. That’s going to put downward pressure on all used EV prices.

This is kind of countered by the massive wait list on new cars.

I find it interesting how the range estimates on ICE cars jump around a ton based on different factors (speed, temp, altitude, etc.) but people seem to forget that the same thing applies for EVs.

You can argue that since Electric motors are 85-90% efficient vs ~40% for ICE they are impacted much more by these factors. Ultimately, I think that no one even thinks about range in an ICE because gas stations are everywhere but people fixate on EV range because it requires much more planning to make sure you can charge. Hopefully, we'll get to a place where DC fast chargers are every 50mi. or so and range will become less important.
Its way more exaggerated in EVs... you can get much better range (or much worse) depending on how you drive. I could drive my old car like I was on a race track, or like I wasnt and the difference was like 5mpg. You do that in any EV and you can easily half the range.

Its way more exaggerated in EVs... you can get much better range (or much worse) depending on how you drive. I could drive my old car like I was on a race track, or like I wasnt and the difference was like 5mpg. You do that in any EV and you can easily half the range.
That’s what I said. ICE are already very inefficient so any external factor effects range much less, relatively speaking. EVs are so efficient that almost anything will impact the range much more dramatically.