Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: 3 years from now, would you rather pay for $20K for FSD or $20K for Tesla Bot?

3 years from now, would you rather pay for $20K for FSD or $20K for Tesla Bot?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bot. It could drive both my cars.
Third car is a stick shift, I don’t think it will be that advanced in three years but I’ll expect a software update to enable it at some point.
It will have a beta tag for undefined number of decades and the price will only go up every year, so buy now for the low low price of $20k! Hopefully it doesn’t need new sensors after a couple of architecture rewrites. 😅

For anyone impressed with Elon’s side show thinking his lil toy was so advanced..

From over a year ago….

Elon talked about that and stressed that you can build more capable robots in low volume and extremely high price. Tesla bot is meant to be cheap and high volume. It’s also shooting for autonomous. Apples and oranges.
But this robot was not doing this 1 year after the company was founded.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
For anyone impressed with Elon’s side show thinking his lil toy was so advanced..

From over a year ago….
True but.....Boston Dynamics has been developing bots since 1992 and Tesla for only about 9 months and is a "side" project. Also Atlas is designed using the most expensive materials and parts and it must be programed for all actions and monitored. The videos they make are extremely choreographed and adhere to strict programing sequences. Any deviation from the program and it is a total unrecoverable fail. See video below. Even Spot which is for sale is $75k, hand built and comes with a controller pad. Tesla on the other hand is looking to make them out of mass making materials on an assumably line. Plus use general AI from the Neural Net to drive it so it will NOT have to be programed and controlled.

Of course only time will tell but the Tesla approach is geared more to a widely available and affordable general purpose bot that doesn't need constant monitoring than Boston Dynamics specialized/expensive and highly controlled systems.

True but.....Boston Dynamics has been developing bots since 1992 and Tesla for only about 9 months and is a "side" project. Also Atlas is designed using the most expensive materials and parts and it must be programed for all actions and monitored. The videos they make are extremely choreographed and adhere to strict programing sequences. Any deviation from the program and it is a total unrecoverable fail. See video below. Even Spot which is for sale is $75k, hand built and comes with a controller pad. Tesla on the other hand is looking to make them out of mass making materials on an assumably line. Plus use general AI from the Neural Net to drive it so it will NOT have to be programed and controlled.

Of course only time will tell but the Tesla approach is geared more to a widely available and affordable general purpose bot that doesn't need constant monitoring than Boston Dynamics specialized/expensive and highly controlled systems.

How do you strictly program something like walking on snow? Or the human pushing the robot (unless the human is also a robot???)?

Talking about how quickly Optimus was created seems silly. It's way easier to reproduce what has already been done than it is to advance the field. There is an immense quantity of public research papers on everything Tesla demoed (some written by Boston Dynamics engineers).
This just seems like a case of creating a cheaper version of something that is useless (has anyone actually used a Boston Dynamics robot to automate a task?).

...It's way easier to reproduce...

Yes, it's easier to replicate others who use lidar but Tesla doesn't use Lidar in its car, while Boston Dynamics has a spinning Lidar on its 2016 robot:

1664729605966.png

Last edited:
Yes, it's easier to replicate others who uses lidar but Tesla doesn't use Lidar in its car, while Boston Dynamics has a spinning Lidar on its robot:
Sure, that just goes along with making a cheaper version of something that is useless. There would be an argument for doing that if what was preventing people from using Boston Dynamics robots was the cost; people don't use them because they're currently useless.
Not using LIDAR on the bot saves even less money than not using LIDAR on a car. iPhones have short range LIDAR, it's cheap.

It was good to hear Elon emphasize that the goal is to create something useful but it's very unclear what that will be.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
FSD was supposed to be useful... You’re kidding yourself to believe anything Elon says
I believe that some people think FSD is useful! (I don't think it will ever be useful to me until it's driverless)
I'm sure some people would find a robot that requires constant supervision useful as well.
Some people would be happy to have Optimus sit in their laps and drive the car for them as they supervise. :p
Though I assume Elon was talking about it being useful by actually replacing a human worker. That seems about as challenging as driverless FSD (easier because safety isn't nearly as much of a concern but harder because the scope is so much larger).