Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: 3 years from now, would you rather pay for $20K for FSD or $20K for Tesla Bot?

3 years from now, would you rather pay for $20K for FSD or $20K for Tesla Bot?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are so many use cases for a humanoid robot, basically any physical job a human can do. The issue is making one actually capable and smart enough to do anything useful at a reasonable price. I think that's what was missing from Asimo.

I doubt Optimus will be anywhere near that. In 5 years, I can believe it'll be able to to simple repetitive tasks, like they showed.

I voted for the Bot because I'd rather have a bot than a L2 FSD system.

But, that vote comes with the assumption that it's capable of doing useful things out of the box.

I believe it will be far easier to get a Bot to do useful or fun things than it is to have L4/L5 self-driving vehicles.

Plus there is less embarrassment if it screws up because it's likely going to be in the privacy of my own home versus turning on the road in plain view of everyone to ridicule like FSD beta.

I say this as someone who likes bots where I have a roomba, an automower, and a cargo carrier follower robot.

I would have a Boston Dynamics Spot for Surveillance if it was closer to $5K.

Reactions: DanCar
So what kind of Batteries could the Robot use? ...
Perhaps the Robot could have two or 3 packs. 2 packs being used and one pack charging. Bot can remove one pack and still function. For two pack instead of 3, could have the robot plug into the wall while it swaps out the pack or have a tiny built in battery that doesn't swap out.

Without knowing what either does, it's kind of hard to say isn't it?

If I can put a pin on a map and my car would find its way to that pin, including driving on dirt roads, that would be worth $20k to me. If its just a perfected version of what FSD does now... well not worth nearly as much. Being able to send it to California to pick up my granddaughter would be rad.

Likewise, if the robot can mow my lawn, lay bricks a the fence, take out the trash, change the cat litter box, follow me along trails with my backpack, and wash the windows... I'd pay a lot more than $20k for it.

It's unlikely the bot will be able to do all of that in 3 years, but whatever it does might make it worth $20k. How do we remotely value something which doesn't yet exist?

Elon at earnings call.
I think we have a good chance of shipping some number of optimus units next year. There is a lot of uncertainty in this new product. We will be giving updates every few months. We want to make sure optimus is safe at scale. It should be impossible for a central update to introduce malware.

1713711681276.png