Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: 35k or 49k

Which model 3 are you going to get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else out there change their mind on getting a first production (min $49K) vs waiting for standard range battery ($35K). I initially talked myself into the first production, but have since changed my mind and will now wait for standard range. Of course it's always possible (likely?) my mind will change again!

Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
I've built my own computer systems and my motto is build the best system (in terms of memory, CPU, storage, etc.) that you can afford. I like to use this analogy to getting the LR version. Buy the highest range you can afford. I think this is important especially for colder climates as the cold can have a greater effect on range. There are other obvious reasons for getting a LR battery. For me, the choice is definitely the LR M3

Anyone else out there change their mind on getting a first production (min $49K) vs waiting for standard range battery ($35K). I initially talked myself into the first production, but have since changed my mind and will now wait for standard range. Of course it's always possible (likely?) my mind will change again!

I've initially selected first production but after doing some calculations on model 3 guru, switched to $35k. I Even managed to convince someone else who was ahead of me in line to do the same. The way I see it, m3 is not for road trips because it's too small. I'll still take on road trips because it will be my only Tesla for a while but eventually, I'm hoping for model Y or used mX. Who knows, maybe other manufacturers will have a decent electric suv with fsd in 6 years :)

Model 3 charge range estimates

Reactions: Stirfelt
I need the longer range my normal daily commute is ~180 miles round trip. Having to add the premium package to get it a little earlier isn't a big deal. I would probably get the premium package anyways.

If I didn't need the long range I would likely wait.

That would be the most important reason to go LR. Also, You might be better off spending$9k and moving closer. 180 miles daily sounds exhausting and road rage. :)

• Funny
Reactions: WhiskySTL
Leaning towards first production but I love the thought of only paying ~$35k minus $7.5k tax rebate. I have a lot of factors that could change that makes this decision very tough for me. Hopefully I'll have some more clarity when my time comes to actually place my order:
  • Currently living in a warm weather climate (Austin, TX) but will likely move in the next 2-3 years and it could be to a cold weather
  • Currently have no commute and could definitely work with SR but this could also change in the next 2-3 years
  • Have a 7 week old and will likely have another child in the next 2-3 years. Does this make leather seats and PUP a better option?
I wish I knew more about where I would live over the next 5 years and this would make my decision easier!

I've initially selected first production but after doing some calculations on model 3 guru, switched to $35k. I Even managed to convince someone else who was ahead of me in line to do the same. The way I see it, m3 is not for road trips because it's too small. I'll still take on road trips because it will be my only Tesla for a while but eventually, I'm hoping for model Y or used mX. Who knows, maybe other manufacturers will have a decent electric suv with fsd in 6 years :)

Model 3 charge range estimates
It’s not really that much smaller than an S inside. It is also higher efficiency/mile so it may even be the better choice for road trips.

Sorry, I was thinking only of cabin space. The cargo space hit could be a deal breaker for many so good point.

After a few years with a hatchback, I'm personally ready to go back to a trunk. I'm very easily annoyed by the sound of stuff moving around and even though I try to pack my stuff carefully, it still shifts and moves. I know, what a wierdo. I also don't keep anything in any door pockets or cupholders or other bins for that reason. If my family rides in my car, I always have to remind them to clean their crap out of the car before I let them out. I think my wife occasionally, intentionally leaves pens in the passenger door pocket just to drive me insane. People say my car looks like a rental because there's nothing personal in it. That's the way I like it. Its one of the main reasons I was attracted to the S. Not a lot of places to stuff crap.

Sorry, I was thinking only of cabin space. The cargo space hit could be a deal breaker for many so good point.

After a few years with a hatchback, I'm personally ready to go back to a trunk. I'm very easily annoyed by the sound of stuff moving around and even though I try to pack my stuff carefully, it still shifts and moves. I know, what a wierdo. I also don't keep anything in any door pockets or cupholders or other bins for that reason. If my family rides in my car, I always have to remind them to clean their crap out of the car before I let them out. I think my wife occasionally, intentionally leaves pens in the passenger door pocket just to drive me insane. People say my car looks like a rental because there's nothing personal in it. That's the way I like it. Its one of the main reasons I was attracted to the S. Not a lot of places to stuff crap.

I have one of these trunk organizers in my Model S and it has rubber edges that keep it from sliding around or making any noise. Keeps things still in the trunk as well. I actually have two of them, as it fits perfectly in the hidden area in the trunk so I have one there and one in the main part of the trunk. It also folds flat really easily so you can get it out of the way when you need to put something large in the trunk.

http://amzn.to/2vU2NyU

Reactions: AlanSqB
Hmm, yes, I guess could be... but black is a real possibility. And delivery charge is a given (and I thought was $1200) - like taxes - in my book. But maybe you're right.

Delivery is $1,000 in the configurator we have seen the employees using, and IIRC Tesla is not legally allowed to vary this within the same model (the S and X can be at $1,200 and the 3 can be at $1,000… but two people buying the same model must always have the same delivery charge)

• Informative
Reactions: WhiskySTL
it is true that an extra 90 miles for 9k is very reasonable at this time, but for me it's more of a matter of math.
In the busiest year I can imagine, I'll be taking 2 trips up to San Francisco from San Diego, with around 12 trips to Los Angeles.
*with aggressive estimations
  • Trip to San Francisco: ~1000 miles round-trip (4 supercharger stops with LR, 7 supercharger stops with SR).
  • Trip to Los Angeles: ~250 miles round-trip (No supercharger stop with LR, 1 supercharger stop with SR).
if 1 supercharger stop = ~40min wait time, then:
  • 2 trips to SF means I'll spend ~4hrs more at superchargers per year.
  • 12 trips to LA means I'll spend ~5hrs more at superchargers per year.
This means I'll be spending 9k so that I can save ~9hrs/year. Even if I value my time at $200/hrs (higher than my salary), it'll take 5 years for the 9k to be worth the time saved.
Everyone's situation is different, and I'm not taking into account battery degradation (~2% a year?), supercharging cost, acceleration time, etc. This is just my rational side doing the thinking for once :rolleyes:
Please let me know if there's anything wrong with this logic!
*edit formatting

I shall weigh in, since you asked! :)

I advise my clients from time-to-time that there is more to life than dollars and cents. Sure, the financial aspects are important--sometimes quite important. But dollars and cents alone should not necessarily be driving the bus. For example:

---What would you be doing during Supercharging sessions? How will you be spending the time?
---What is your customary driving style? Do you prefer longer legs of 4+ hours at a pop, or do you like to drive 2-3 hours, stop and relax a spell before continuing?
---The smaller range battery is less flexible in terms of charging opportunities. Your options will be more limited due to reduced range.
---I speak from experience---(Model S85)---Sometimes I like stopping to charge for a short time (15 min.) even though I have enough to make the next Supercharger. I just might want to stretch my legs or grab a cuppa joe. You might easily find yourself stopping three times anyway on your Bay Area trips just because it feels right.
---Do you ever go on shortish day trips for picnics, day hikes, or family visits where a 270+ realistic range would get you home and back while a 180+ range would necessitate a charging stop or hypermiling?
---Would the slightly larger onboard charger (48A v 32A) come in handy for shorter AC charging sessions for those times you are away from home?

We all make purchases of things in our lives that do not strictly involve sensible fiscal analysis.

Whichever way you choose, all the best!

If first production was the standard range model (220 miles), I wonder how different would the poll results be. Would 2 out of 3 people still be interested in the long range model knowing they'd have to wait a couple of months longer to get one and possibly miss out of the tax credit? It's interesting how the tax credits and production pipeline are influencing model selection, in particular getting a range that one wouldn't otherwise.

• Informative
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad