Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: 35k or 49k

Which model 3 are you going to get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the black is clean it looks absolutely amazing. Don't listen to the haters!
Black cars can be gorgeous. When kept clean, black is like a mirror and looks amazing. Unfortunately, like a mirror, they must be kept clean. They show even the smallest amount of dust and dirt. If you garage keep your car, wipe / dust between washing and wash your car frequently, then you will thoroughly enjoy a black car. If you tend to not wash your car frequently, you will not own a beautiful black car, but a dirty and dusty black car most of the time. While black is sexy, it is work and if you are not willing to do it look for another color.

Signed by the guy who bought a black car ONCE.

You should be able to get long range without the premium package. So it's $9000 more, not $14,000

I really want the extra range, but when I crunch the numbers (with heavy use of abetterroutplanner.com) I've decided that I can live with extra stops at superchargers

I thought the first run was all long range and premium package such that the only option you can select is the tire size and color. Any other configuration means waiting until 2018 at the earliest.

Black cars can be gorgeous. When kept clean, black is like a mirror and looks amazing. Unfortunately, like a mirror, they must be kept clean. They show even the smallest amount of dust and dirt. If you garage keep your car, wipe / dust between washing and wash your car frequently, then you will thoroughly enjoy a black car. If you tend to not wash your car frequently, you will not own a beautiful black car, but a dirty and dusty black car most of the time. While black is sexy, it is work and if you are not willing to do it look for another color.

I've owned black cars almost exclusively for the past decade or so. For some reason the Tesla in black just doesn't look good though. It looks like a rental car. Same with the white as well. The red and the blue are the ones that really look good to me, at least for the Model S. I'm interested to see what the Model 3 colors look like in person once they are out on the road.

Reactions: kenbefound
it is true that an extra 90 miles for 9k is very reasonable at this time, but for me it's more of a matter of math.
In the busiest year I can imagine, I'll be taking 2 trips up to San Francisco from San Diego, with around 12 trips to Los Angeles.
*with aggressive estimations
  • Trip to San Francisco: ~1000 miles round-trip (4 supercharger stops with LR, 7 supercharger stops with SR).
  • Trip to Los Angeles: ~250 miles round-trip (No supercharger stop with LR, 1 supercharger stop with SR).
if 1 supercharger stop = ~40min wait time, then:
  • 2 trips to SF means I'll spend ~4hrs more at superchargers per year.
  • 12 trips to LA means I'll spend ~5hrs more at superchargers per year.
This means I'll be spending 9k so that I can save ~9hrs/year. Even if I value my time at $200/hrs (higher than my salary), it'll take 5 years for the 9k to be worth the time saved.
Everyone's situation is different, and I'm not taking into account battery degradation (~2% a year?), supercharging cost, acceleration time, etc. This is just my rational side doing the thinking for once :rolleyes:
Please let me know if there's anything wrong with this logic!
*edit formatting

I think that you're assuming that the value and the LR and SR will be the same after five years. I'd expect the LR to higher, not 9K$ higher, but higher.

Reactions: insaneoctane

Agree totally.
I actually had a black loaner last week and ended up washing it myself. First time I've ever washed a loaner :)

Okay, so the premium package, EAP, and midnight silver are must-haves for me, so this question pretty much comes down to the extended battery cost to as an independent variable to determine usefulness. I need some outside opinions on this so help me out guys. I live in Orlando and frequently travel to Miami and Tampa. My wife's family is from Memphis so we travel there at least twice a year. I also will probably make trips to Tallahassee to catch a football game at least once a year. I did the calculations for total time for each trip with both batteries, the longest charging time, and the total trip time differences.

Orlando to Memphis
Standard Range - 16:04 - Max stop: 51 mins
Long Range - 14:41 - Max stop: 30 mins
Time Difference: 1:23

Orlando to Miami
Standard Range - 4:23 - Max stop: 22 mins
Long Range - 4:08 - Max stop: 7 mins
Time Difference: 15 mins

Orlando to Tampa
Standard Range - 3:38 - Max stop: 12 mins
Long Range - 3:11 - No stops
Time Difference: 12 mins

Orlando to Tallahassee
Standard Range - 4:49 - Max stop: 33 mins
Long Range - 4:34 - Max stop: 15 mins

So the economic and reasonable side of me says that the $9000 cost wouldn't justify the time savings for my trips within Florida. So it basically comes down to the Memphis trip. That 51 min charge time in Tupelo, MS is a KILLER to me. And there aren't any other chargers currently in the works on the route between Birmingham and Memphis so it looks like I'm stuck with that stop. The long range battery makes that stop only 30 mins, and I also save nearly an hour and a half on that trip. BUT, is making that trip better worth the $9000 upgrade? I would probably make more than 2 trips a year to Memphis if EAP really makes road trips easier so the shorter trip time would be nice. But cost definitely is a factor for me, so the upgrade would definitely tighten our budget.

What do you guys think?

... is making that trip better worth the $9000 upgrade? I would probably make more than 2 trips a year to Memphis if EAP really makes road trips easier so the shorter trip time would be nice. But cost definitely is a factor for me, so the upgrade would definitely tighten our budget.

What do you guys think?

The M3-310 has 3 things:
More range.
More power.
Faster charging, both at home and away.

The M3-220 will be fine for you.

But in the history of EVs to date, nobody has ever said:

"It has too much range."
"It has too much passing acceleration."
"It charges too fast."

For me, the 310 gives me a 100 mile combat radius, and I can pretty much drive any way I want.

So the economic and reasonable side of me says that the $9000 cost wouldn't justify the time savings for my trips ...

What do you guys think?

Seems to me the cost is not $9000, but $9000 - (depreciated price of LR - depreciated price of SR) after x number of years depreciation. The LR model might depreciate much slower than the SR.

I thought the first run was all long range and premium package such that the only option you can select is the tire size and color. Any other configuration means waiting until 2018 at the earliest.

Yes the first run is all LR and PUP. The second run is called "standard battery" in myTesla is when the SR model is available. The general consensus is when that happens, there will be three new combinations available: 1) <SR and PUP> and 2) <SR and no PUP> And 3) LR and No PUP

My current plan is for SR and PUP and I'm east coast whoI stood on line on 3/31. MyTesla shows a delivery estimate of Jan-Mar 2018.

Seems to me the cost is not $9000, but $9000 - (depreciated price of LR - depreciated price of SR) after x number of years depreciation. The LR model might depreciate much slower than the SR.

Yeah, I was thinking about that as I typed it up. A feature I REALLY want on the Model 3 is the panoramic moonroof that is currently available on the S and X. I'd definitely consider selling my first gen 3 whenever that feature becomes available.