TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Poll - 60 to 75 upgrade

Discussion in 'Model S' started by DJ 240V, Apr 17, 2017.

Tags:
?

Are you going to upgrade from 60-75 KWH now that the price has dropped to $2K?

Poll closed Jun 5, 2017.
  1. Done/doing - its a steal!

56.6%
  2. I'm on the fence - I dont really need the range.

30.7%
  3. Not doing it! I'm happy with the 60

8.5%
  4. I'd rather spend the money on FSD when that is available.

4.7%
  5. I'd rather spend money on adding the powerlift gate if that was an option.

5.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DJ 240V

DJ 240V Member

getting a pulse on how many who have 60 are going to do this?

2. davinci2017

davinci2017 Member

My option is none of the above, I think all 60 owners who bought their cars AFTER the price increase should fight to get the upgrade for FREE as the new 75/75D pricing is the same. What are we paying $2k for?

• Disagree x 1
  3. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

If I could upgrade my classic 60's for 2k each, I would do it in a heartbeat.

4. croman

croman Active Member

I did it. On a road trip. The range would be nice. Free sounds awesome but, really? Good luck with that.

• Like x 3
  5. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Member

I just want the power liftgate. I've looked into the 3rd party/DIY ones but don't like how it just slams the liftgate at the end.

• Like x 1
  6. houstonian

houstonian ಠ_ಠ

Good idea for a poll - is there anyway we have an option of "I've gone from "hell no" to seriously considering it"?

7. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

I paid for it late last night, but I'm not so sure it was worth it for me. My 60-100% was 208, and my 75-90% is now 217. It should come in handy on road trips or longer drives, but in reality one additional stop wouldn't have been the end of the world for me.

• Informative x 1
  8. DJ 240V

DJ 240V Member

I can see why you are upset. Especially after the price increase , the window was so narrow. But doesn't everyone feel that way after they missed a deal/discount that inevitably comes later?

9. DJ 240V

DJ 240V Member

:) that would me "i'm on the fence"

10. DJ 240V

DJ 240V Member

exactly my thoughts and why I'm holding out - might as well spend the extra 2K on the M3 when that is out.

11. DJ 240V

DJ 240V Member

When you spend 100K 3 years back - 2K now seems like peanuts. So I might consider that in a year or two - but really the range has never bothered me. I been on a grand canyon trip 1000+ miles from so cal , and when i did the math/research a 300KW battery would need the same number of stops. Agreed that it would be very handy in colder regions.

• Like x 1
  12. croman

croman Active Member

If you take a long road trip, you might see more reasons to upgrade. I just recalculated my trip and I can skip 2 SCs and just charge longer on one (for 20 minutes). Remember that a lot of SCers are not right off the highway and require significant time/kwhs getting to/from. I can save 2 hours on my big road trip to visit in-laws EACH WAY. Time is $. This will pay itself off for me in 3 trips.

• Like x 2
  13. houstonian

houstonian ಠ_ಠ

Same here - at $7k my thinking was "hell no" at $2k it's more along the lines of, "while I am not sold yet, I am certainly considering it".

• Like x 4
  14. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Genesis - The Beginning - MS75D

My 60 was at 219 miles on 100% (as of 11:00 today-April 17). After 2 hours of charging, my new 75 has posted 255 miles at 100%. My $2k bought me 36 miles. During the last 5 minutes of charging, the amps went from 30 to 11 amps and the rate went from 23 mi/hr to 22 miles/hr.

As I used EVTripPlanner, it left me with a very low threshold of remaining miles to go between supercharges in Arizona. (arriving with under 10% battery). This caused some range anxiety that the new 75 is supposed to provide some relief from.
    To me - its not how many times I will travel long distances, its that I could not travel at all in my Tesla (between these stops). So I am not just buying 36 miles, I'm putting vacations on the calendar that I could not reach before. Was THAT worth $2k?.

• Like x 1
  15. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Member

219? Is that a typo? Mine usually charges to 209. The highest I've ever seen it go is 215, after charging to 100% at Tenaya Lodge and then getting an extra 6 miles on regenerative braking from going down the mountain.

• Like x 1
  16. TXcharge

TXcharge Member

Free supercharging if before JAN cut-off?

17. RayW

RayW Member

And they should get a free power lift gate installed

• Like x 1
  18. kelleyja

kelleyja New Member

Does the upgrade make it indistinguishable from a S75? Except for the exterior badging, do the display logos all change?

19. croman

croman Active Member

My 60D did 219/220 and now just did 255. I believe @AZ Desert Driver likely has a 60D/75D as well. I believe I will get 260 after cell/module balancing. Remember, our cars have never actually charged to 100% before, just 84-86%.

20. tpham07

tpham07 Member

everything in the car changes, and you can get a new badge from a ranger of SC. Basically the only way to tell it was a 60 at one point in its life is if you show the person you sell the car to your original title/mfg statement of origin. Ironically my title just says "Model S" and not "Model S 60" lolololol.