Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll - 60 to 75 upgrade

Are you going to upgrade from 60-75 KWH now that the price has dropped to $2K?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with your point, but in planning a long cross-country trip, there were several places where I can "cut a corner" due to Supercharger placement, where I would have been leery to do so with the 60kWh battery.

For example, going from Amarillo TX to Trinidad, Colorado looks like this with the MS60D:
View attachment 223435

And like this in the MS75D:
View attachment 223434

There are places on regular long routes, like this, that make it worthwhile.

Be careful when using EVTP to compare routing differences between the 60 and 75 kWh batteries to always click the "Route thru Superchargers" button between changing battery sizes. It may route totally differently with the larger battery, but just changing the battery size selection just takes you on the same route that was plotted for the smaller battery -- you have to hit the button to get it to re-route.

I know you were using ABRP, but similar situations arise in making those comparisons using whatever tool. Look for places where you have to take the long way around with the 60 kWh battery due to Supercharger placement.

This is why evtripplanner is bad. In your example the direct route uses less than 60kwh of energy. A 60 could do it just like the 75. Not to say examples don't exist but that isn't the most compelling. I skipped the Cleveland supercharger because I upgraded and couldn't have made it to Maumee OH on my return trip. Evtripplanner said my 60D couldn't make it from Erie PA supercharger to Ithaca NY. 59kwh trip. Made it with 9 rated miles. Sometimes my margin of error was far more aggressive but a 75D does make it a lot less stressful.

I've never been afraid to push my EV and I don't mind laying off the throttle 5mph to save 30 minutes finding a supercharger. Some are right by the highway and others are a big waste of time and kwh. The Cleveland one was one of those that saved 75 minutes by skipping.

I've never been afraid to push my EV and I don't mind laying off the throttle 5mph to save 30 minutes finding a supercharger. Some are right by the highway and others are a big waste of time and kwh. The Cleveland one was one of those that saved 75 minutes by skipping.

I have no desire to "push my EV". :D

But yes, all of the range estimators (including the one in the car) are based on flawed data, as far as I'm concerned. They are all based on the Google data captured for average speed along each road. You need to be very careful that you look at that speed -- it is often very different than you might think, and definitely different from the speed limit. My theory is that a LOT of truckers use Google Maps, so all of their data is in the mix. Trucks are often held to different speed limits than cars, either by the state or by the companies they drive for. Check the speed that the routing software is planning from before relying on them for a critical trip -- don't assume it is the speed limit.

• Funny
Reactions: croman
I have no desire to "push my EV". :D

But yes, all of the range estimators (including the one in the car) are based on flawed data, as far as I'm concerned. They are all based on the Google data captured for average speed along each road. You need to be very careful that you look at that speed -- it is often very different than you might think, and definitely different from the speed limit. My theory is that a LOT of truckers use Google Maps, so all of their data is in the mix. Trucks are often held to different speed limits than cars, either by the state or by the companies they drive for. Check the speed that the routing software is planning from before relying on them for a critical trip -- don't assume it is the speed limit.
I used evtripplanner at the end of last year for a 6000+ mile round trip coast-to-coast. It came amazingly close to actual power usage, but then again I actually entered appropriate data like the fact that I plan to drive above the speed limit, wind, temps. The in-car trip calculator was not accurate at all - it was always way over optimistic, plus the car doesn't even know the actual speed limits (e.g. speed limit 80, car drops to 70 or 60 after a few miles of no speed signs, which to me indicates their map says 70 or 60, even though it's 80). The worst underestimate was car said I'll get to the next supercharger 141miles away with 30% charge left, but I arrived at 3%. evtripplanner told me 3% as well. That's why I never left a supercharger when the car told me I had enough charge, always charged a good buffer.

Last edited:
I found in car nav to be overly conservative. I'd get told to drive less then 60mph to make it. After 100 miles its warning would change to 65 and then as I got closer to arriving it'd just agree I could drive at 75mph and be ok. The estimate of battery percentage would slowly increase as my rated miles kept decreasing at a slower rate than it forecast while I was going faster than it thought possible. YMMV. My prior EV was a leaf so I'm used to squeezing every last electron out. I've never gotten below 2% but I also have no problem actually driving slow if my consumption is above my goal.

Reactions: gabeincal
S60 (210) i get 201 ?

Since taking delivery last September, I've charged to 90% for 5 months and to 100% for almost 2 months daily. I now get 208 at 100%.

And after upgrading tonight, I'm hoping to get around 245 at 100%.

...I'm pretty sure I'll hold out for it to drop more in the coming months here...

Yeah, that was my plan too. I held out for 3 days and gave in tonight. :D

I have two questions regarding the update.

1. how did everyone find out about the price drop. I didn't receive any notification from Tesla. Was there some announcement or did everyone hear about this on the boards.

2. I commute about 30 to 40 miles per day. My initial paperwork from Tesla suggested I should keep the car plugged in and charging when not in use. How many keep their car plugged in every day.

I took the plunge as soon as I saw the price of $2000 + tax... I have no regrets as I have no doubt, given the erratic pricing by Tesla, that this deal may evaporate without warning and I would kick myself if I delayed this decision and the price went back up... Besides, I love to see the 75D on the dash when I awaken my car every morning... She's complete now...

I have two questions regarding the update.

1. how did everyone find out about the price drop. I didn't receive any notification from Tesla. Was there some announcement or did everyone hear about this on the boards.

Blogs/tweets/tmc

2. I commute about 30 to 40 miles per day. My initial paperwork from Tesla suggested I should keep the car plugged in and charging when not in use. How many keep their car plugged in every day.

Only plugin it in and not charge - by adjusting max charge ( if I'm on long vacation ) eventually phantom drain could get your to 0 and you don't want that .

I just got back from a 3000 miles road trip. Going from New Jersey to New Orleans and back. There was only one time i wished i had a 75 instead of a 60. That was at Potomac Mills supercharger in Virginia.

The car was done charging before we finished our dinner and I incurred an idle fee as there were other people charging. Could have really used the charging taper to give me more time to eat.

I was reading this thread to see if anyone else had thought of this. My notifications don't make a noise, and I would hate to have an idle fee. So for that alone (and winter) I may do it.

Poll is missing the option of "Would buy at at lower price". As I keep reading all those "I got it", it almost makes me want to go do it, then I remember that it's $2200 for 10 miles realistic range, if I charge the car to a trip line (90%), which is what I charge our 85 battery to. There is no resale value gain since the buyer can always purchase the upgrade for $2K, so the bump is $2K max. If we drained our car to close to 0 often, I would definitely consider it, but then again, if that happens, I should have gotten a 90. To be honest, considering the driving pattern of the our 60D it would benefit more from the charger upgrade to 72A than from the 75KWh upgrade (it already has 80A capable HPWC), and that upgrade is $1,500 (assuming still is, since when I bought the car it was advertised as available after purchase). I know I'd buy the charger upgrade or the 75 upgrade at $500 each, so if Tesla was to bundle 75KWh+72A upgrades (both software upgrades only) I would consider $1,000, possibly as much as $1,500, not sure, but $3,500 (+tax) does not make any sense to us as it is a "nice to have" rather than "must have".

Reactions: DJ 240V