Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll - 60 to 75 upgrade

Are you going to upgrade from 60-75 KWH now that the price has dropped to $2K?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seemed odd to me that I was getting exactly the miles rating that a single motor 75 should get. We asked at service and they said no, it was just coincidental.

I'm not too worried about it, as it's just a calculated estimate. The battery has the capacity that it has, no matter what the calculation says.

my single motor 75 gets 243. Isn't the difference between the D and non D models ~10 miles or less?

As an MX owner I find this thread slightly amusing as I just paid $4500 to go from 60D to 75D. I value the time saved and whining from family at the minimum value of $100 for every SC stop while maintaining high speeds. (I don't like being told to slow down to reach the next SC)

The 60D to 75D makes no difference of course for daily driving. All it took was one trip to Vegas to make me upgrade half way through.

The rated 200 mile range of the 60 is not really 200 when you
1.) Drive 80mph
2.) Drive uphill in winds.

Going to Vegas from OC I had to make stops in Barstow and Primm. After Barstow I was forced to cut my speed to 65 and tail a semi for about 30 minutes to break some of the wind.

I upgraded before going home and drove 80 all the way and was able to skip Primm.

That small little boost made a big difference for the X and you even get more mileage out of the S and for much less money.

The X owners would jump in 2K with no hesitation. A few were willing to take the risk that Tesla would hold to a price floor and not drop to 2K to match the S.

Unless it's a lease I don't see why you folks are even discussing this. :p

Last edited:
Need new poll option:

Model X 60D owner (former) so hate all of you.

:D

But in all seriousness, you either are going to use the extra capacity or not. Longer you wait, the less usage you will get out of the upgrade while the entire car is still depreciating.

my single motor 75 gets 243. Isn't the difference between the D and non D models ~10 miles or less?
On paper, yes. Apparently there is as much or more variation between cars as between D and RWD. Again, it's all just a calculation, and obviously with new cars they fudge the answer to the calculation to be the EPA estimate, no matter the actual battery capacity.

As I said, about all that would be gained from complaining about the number after getting the upgrade would be that they would re-fudge the result of the calculation. No real miles would be gained in the process.

Ok, I caved and got the update. Why? Because after some thinking I came to a conclusion that:
1. It's unlikely Tesla will lower the price again. At first I thought they might, but then changed my mind. If this was just about making additional revenue, they would have lowered the X60 upgrade which they did not. They could have sold the 40->60 upgrade for $1000, or discount other options like 72A charging (also discontinued for 75's) to make extra money. This made me think the S60->S75 price reduction was mostly to smooth over the new S75 price reduction with people who purchased recently - a customer relation move.
2. This option does add to the car resale value more universally than other options like UHFS etc which are not universally sought after.
3. I will eventually do it when going on a 2 Tesla trip somewhere anyways so that our 2 cars have the same range (technically the 75D now has 6 more rated miles than the P85D), so might as well do it now and enjoy not having the nags earlier.
4. With a more limited "unicorn" status, the software limited S60 will probably not receive as much software testing for new software updates, so I can foresee some potential software bugs unique to software limited 60's. One interesting example, we've always had the charge limit set to 100% since new, ignored the nags (clicked no), but somehow the charge limit lowered itself few days ago to 50% after the car charged to 100%, so would not have been a problem the next day, but chances are my wife would not have noticed it for the following day - she needs more than 50% in a day to comfortably drive the kids around.

PS> Was going to change my poll vote for this thread, but still don't agree the price is a steal :)

So my car was made sep 16. The few miles range not a huge deal, might use it twice a year... But to go from 5.8 to 5.2 seconds to 60mph... PRICELESS (Well 2000 worth it not 6000 or whatever it was). P.S. its a firmware update if your car is new enuf.