Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll - 60 to 75 upgrade

Are you going to upgrade from 60-75 KWH now that the price has dropped to $2K?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My lifetime rating is 293 wh/mi and I went from 206-209 to 239. Hopefully that goes up. Battery showed at 100% though.

Yeah, it's weird how your numbers are higher than mine, despite the same efficiency. Those were my numbers at 100% too. If I use the increase from 202 to 236, that's a 17% range increase. I set my charge limit to 90% for the future, which I think will be 215 or 217. I reached work this morning with 94% on my nav at a rated range of 221.

I'm a bit confused, my Tesla Model S 60 is three weeks old and it's only ever got 201 miles of charge, that's at full charge.

My battery has been fully charged and discharged many times, driven about 2000 miles so far.

How is it that some of you say that you've got 213 or 220 miles charge???

I've never seen more than 210 on my S60 on a full charge, its usually 208-210. I have no idea how some of you are seeing well above 210

I would love to see someone give a proper super-charge time for a full 250+ charge on the upgraded battery.

That might be the deciding factor for me, I don't want to upgrade if it takes a full 30-45 minutes to get the last 20-25 miles. Anyone done that yet?

I'm a bit confused, my Tesla Model S 60 is three weeks old and it's only ever got 201 miles of charge, that's at full charge.

My battery has been fully charged and discharged many times, driven about 2000 miles so far.

How is it that some of you say that you've got 213 or 220 miles charge???
Since I bought mine four months ago I have only charged to 100% a very few times and I recall that I have hit 208 tops, but others with technical knowhow suggest it is just an estimate anyway. Before 75 upgrade this week, I usually charged 90% which reported 187-188. What are you getting at 90%?

You have a S60 (210). S60D gets 218.
I have an S60D. When new, it showed 207 miles, now it shows 203 @ 100% (7 months later)

The difference is being in the UK:

a) rated and typical range figures are a different calc in Europe to the USA
b) local conditions may make a difference too, I think, as Wh/mile figures are generally higher in Europe than the USA

from the UK manual:

Energy & Charging: Display remaining energy and charging units as either a percentage of battery energy remaining, or as an estimate of the distance that you can drive. When you choose Distance, you can display mileage based on either:
  • Rated - based on ECE R101 testing.
  • Typical - based on US EPA testing.
Note: When anticipating when you need to charge, use range estimates as a general guideline only.

also, see Charging terminology for a summary of the different figures

*EDIT: typo

Last edited:
When I drove my car with 100% of 75 packed in, I watched the power consumption graphic on the dashboard..A "warning" triangle appeared intermittently at the 5:00 o'clock position on that graphic. It flashed on, then off until I had burned up 5 miles, and has not returned. Could this be something about balancing the cell charge?
Shall I burn up most of the battery and then 100% fill a few cycles to "train" the batteries, or just drive/plug in in the evening and charge to 90% and not do deep cycling?

Haha, you are getting into areas we will BOTH have to learn more about, now!

There will be greatly reduced regenerative braking at first when you charge the battery to 100%, as there is no battery space to put the generated power into. The warning was probably related to that.

As to the conditioning of the battery, I plan to just incorporate it into a trip I have coming up on Friday. I am, of course, charging to 100% today to see where it charges to, then I'll drive a bit to get it back down to 80-90%. Then Friday I have to drive to the nearest supercharger to the East of me, which was out of range of the 60 kWh battery and previously required a detour either to a CHAdeMO charger or a Supercharger an hour out of the way. I'll charge to 100% before leaving the house, then plan to charge to 100% at the supercharger while eating lunch.

I think those 3 range charges should be sufficient to balance the pack.

I really am tempted, but I just don't see how to justify it. I planned a trip on A Better Route Planner from Chicago to Nashville using both the 60 and 75, and there is no difference in charge time or overall time. I can see if you were stretching to get to a distant supercharger or able to skip one. For me, I just don't do that many long trips and I kind of like the breaks at superchargers. Still, it sure seems like a good deal!

I agree with your point, but in planning a long cross-country trip, there were several places where I can "cut a corner" due to Supercharger placement, where I would have been leery to do so with the 60kWh battery.

For example, going from Amarillo TX to Trinidad, Colorado looks like this with the MS60D:
upload_2017-4-18_15-2-46.png

And like this in the MS75D:
upload_2017-4-18_15-1-3.png

There are places on regular long routes, like this, that make it worthwhile.

Be careful when using EVTP to compare routing differences between the 60 and 75 kWh batteries to always click the "Route thru Superchargers" button between changing battery sizes. It may route totally differently with the larger battery, but just changing the battery size selection just takes you on the same route that was plotted for the smaller battery -- you have to hit the button to get it to re-route.

I know you were using ABRP, but similar situations arise in making those comparisons using whatever tool. Look for places where you have to take the long way around with the 60 kWh battery due to Supercharger placement.

• Informative
Reactions: gabeincal and _jal_
There will be greatly reduced regenerative braking at first when you charge the battery to 100%, as there is no battery space to put the generated power into. The warning was probably related to that.

The warning DID coincide with backing off the throttle. It flashed so quickly that I could not read it, and was distracted by doing the braking thing.
Thanks for the heads up. Did not think of it at the time, but now it makes sense.

Haha, you are getting into areas we will BOTH have to learn more about, now!
I think those 3 range charges should be sufficient to balance the pack.

Three range charges to calibrate the new maximum is the exact recommendation I received from Tesla Service Ranger after our upgrade to 75 kw. Will be looking for your post with results. Ours was 249 rated miles after first charge to 100% after upgrade.:)

• Informative
Reactions: gabeincal
i repriced my car based on my options and i would've saved $1500 if i had ordered a 75 today instead of a 60 5 weeks ago, but im gonna look on the bright side and tell myself at least i got the car 2-3 months sooner for only $2000 extra.

I just took delivery of my 60D last week and I paid $84,000 plus the $2,000 for the upgrade so a total of 86K. I just configured a new 75D with the same options and it came out to be $82,800 that is a $3,200 difference.

100% full charge for me was 217, after the upgrade it charged to 255, where is my other 4 miles, shouldn't it be 259? @ $78 dollars a mile, I want every bit of it.

I wish they had a 90 day price Guarantee or something, they should of just given the upgrade for free for vehicles ordered after a certain date.

• Informative
Reactions: DJ 240V
I agree with your point, but in planning a long cross-country trip, there were several places where I can "cut a corner" due to Supercharger placement, where I would have been leery to do so with the 60kWh battery.
That's an excellent point. I guess with the trips that I regularly take (just visiting family) it never came up.

Three range charges to calibrate the new maximum is the exact recommendation I received from Tesla Service Ranger after our upgrade to 75 kw. Will be looking for your post with results. Ours was 249 rated miles after first charge to 100% after upgrade.:)

I hope that'll work. I charge my 75 to 100% today for the first time. My rated range was only 236 this morning. When you say three times, should I deplete the battery down first and charge to full 2 more times? I only use about 30-40 miles/day with my commute.

I hope that'll work. I charge my 75 to 100% today for the first time. My rated range was only 236 this morning. When you say three times, should I deplete the battery down first and charge to full 2 more times? I only use about 30-40 miles/day with my commute.

Yes, the process is to fully charge and then drive to only a few remaining miles. Then fully charge again. The Service Ranger advised likely there will be a significant milage increase after the second cycle, but the third might be necessary to reach maximum.

Yes, the process is to fully charge and then drive to only a few remaining miles. Then fully charge again. The Service Ranger advised likely there will be a significant milage increase after the second cycle, but the third might be necessary to reach maximum.

Great. Thanks. That'll take me to the end of the month for the 3 cycles. I'll update here with my rated range after that.

Missing poll option, "Didn't get it, don't need the range but would buy it for $500 just as a splurge". ;)

Unlocking the last 14% of the battery is only worth it if after the upgrade you charge above 86% (218miles on 60D). If I got the upgrade, I'd charge it to 90%/233 miles all but a very few occasions, but without it just charge to 86%/218 miles. 15 rated miles (10 real miles) extra doesn't seem to be worth $2,000 to me. The last 10% is something I'd only use on long trips which I probably never will do with the 60, but also where I can achieve the same by just driving a slower, therefore spending a bit more time driving instead of a bit more time charging (charging the last 10% is super slow, even at superchargers). If it was $500 I'd get it even though I would probably almost never use it, so the fact that it's more just means I get to keep my money. ;)

Last edited:

For example, going from Amarillo TX to Trinidad, Colorado looks like this with the MS60D:
View attachment 223435

And like this in the MS75D:
View attachment 223434

There are places on regular long routes, like this, that make it worthwhile.

Be careful when using EVTP to compare routing differences between the 60 and 75 kWh batteries to always click the "Route thru Superchargers" button between changing battery sizes. It may route totally differently with the larger battery, but just changing the battery size selection just takes you on the same route that was plotted for the smaller battery -- you have to hit the button to get it to re-route.

I know you were using ABRP, but similar situations arise in making those comparisons using whatever tool. Look for places where you have to take the long way around with the 60 kWh battery due to Supercharger placement.
Just a note of caution. If you make the speed multiplier 1.1 (e.g. 66mph instead of 60), or if there is any wind, or if the outside temp is any different than what you want in you cabin, even 75 will not make it on a single charge. I've been driving a Model S for almost 4 years, so trust me when I tell you, you entered some idea conditions into the trip planner. You need an 90 at least to reliably make it on that route without some major range anxiety, doable with an 85 as long as you're wiling to slow down.

• Informative
Reactions: DJ 240V

Well, that's exactly what I got with the first 100% charge -- 249 miles. I then only drove it down to 67%. though. I doubt that taking it down to a low SOC is an important part of the process, but I'll have the opportunity for multiple 100% sessions over the weekend if necessary.

I'm fine with 249 RM if that's what I end up with, though.
Just a note of caution. If you make the speed multiplier 1.1 (e.g. 66mph instead of 60), or if there is any wind, or if the outside temp is any different than what you want in you cabin, even 75 will not make it on a single charge. I've been driving a Model S for almost 4 years, so trust me when I tell you, you entered some idea conditions into the trip planner. You need an 90 at least to reliably make it on that route without some major range anxiety, doable with an 85 as long as you're wiling to slow down.

Absolutely right! I was looking for a general example to show my point, and conditions will dictate whether any trip is prudent.