Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: A pack owners: Refurbished Pack Upgrade?

Would you accept a refurbished pack upgrade?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First off, this is NOT another thread to debate the merits of the ongoing 90/120 kW supercharging debate. If you do not feel that Tesla needs to do anything about the situation and have a "you get what you get" attitude, then please do not respond to this poll in any form.

For those that are interested in seeing an upgrade route being eventually offered, my question is simple: Would you accept a refurbished pack given that it will be heavily discounted when compared to purchasing a brand new battery?

Yes, I would accept a remanufactured B/C/D pack at a heavily discounted price.

No, I would only accept a brand new pack.

Perhaps Tesla would differentiate between B/C/D packs, much in the same way you can go to Apple and purchase a refurb iPad 3, 4, or Air. I definitely wouldn't have a problem with a refurb D pack getting put into my car. Also, this would help TM make the business case as it would not impact new deliveries one iota.

Your first paragraph just destroyed the merits of this poll. You can't ask certain people with certain mind sets not to post and then consider it representative of the populace of A pack owners.

Not to mention another question: is the brand new pack you reference at full price then? or do you expect it to be heavily-discounted as well? What about the expectation that it be free that some have espoused?

Your first paragraph just destroyed the merits of this poll. You can't ask certain people with certain mind sets not to post and then consider it representative of the populace of A pack owners.

Well, given the choices "I will accept new/refurbished", I think it works. If someone doesn't even think they should get anything (or want it), then what does it matter? Plus, it should help keep the thread from going off on a tangential debate.

what about a remanufactured pack at a not heavily discounted price? or a new pack at a heavily discounted price? supposedly the reman packs have all new battery cells and the cases are reused, or so I was told.
my refurb pack is brand new as far as charging #'s go

I don't think I know anyone who will honestly vote for only accept a new battery? unless maybe they had months of troubles

Well, given the choices "I will accept new/refurbished", I think it works. If someone doesn't even think they should get anything (or want it), then what does it matter? Plus, it should help keep the thread from going off on a tangential debate.

Exactly. We already have enough threads where the debate can be continued. This ain't one of them. The idea is that if an owner doesn't fall into either category, then they should simply not respond to the poll.

what about a remanufactured pack at a not heavily discounted price? or a new pack at a heavily discounted price? supposedly the reman packs have all new battery cells and the cases are reused, or so I was told.
my refurb pack is brand new as far as charging #'s go

No, most refurbished packs contain the original cells, which is why some people who have a pack swap notice that their range dropped significantly (ask walla2). It is part of why Tesla's 8 year warranty program works and is not a big cost to them and therefore it is reasonable to assume that refurb packs have lost significant value compared to those coming off the line.

I'm contemplating this poll, and unable to decide. I view the supercharging limit as an issue, but a minor one. That's why my "ask" from Tesla has never been a free replacement - but an "at cost" replacement for "then current" technology. When Tesla eventually offers a program, I was hopeful there might be even more advancement of the battery capability (i.e., more kWh capacity, faster supercharging) or lower price.

So, my answer to the poll depends entirely on the price differential and the "then current" battery technology. Would I pay $5k today for a refurb B pack? Maybe. Would I rather pay $15k 12 months from now for a 100 kWh pack that charges at 135 kW? Probably? Will either be offered and at what price? Who knows! I'd hate for the refurb pack to be the only option offered.

- - - Updated - - -

First off, this is NOT another thread to debate the merits of the ongoing 90/120 kW supercharging debate.

PS thank god for that

So, my answer to the poll depends entirely on the price differential and the "then current" battery technology. Would I pay $5k today for a refurb B pack? Maybe. Would I rather pay $15k 12 months from now for a 100 kWh pack that charges at 135 kW? Probably? Will either be offered and at what price? Who knows! I'd hate for the refurb pack to be the only option offered.

I would hope that a refurb B pack would be more reasonable than 5k. We know that a 60 -> 85 kW upgrade is 18k, where 10k is just the price difference of the packs, which leaves 8k for a brand new pack. A year old B pack with some miles on it that has already been succeeded by newer revisions (C and D) surely ought to be less than 5k.

However, I see your point and I believe that eventually TM will offer upgrades to new packs at a later date once the gigafactory has been sorted out. For now though, this appears to be an intriguing interim solution.

Maybe Tesla should start a wait list. They'd say they have a refurbished B pack with 15,000 miles for $X dollar upgrade if your turn your old pack in. They'd just fill orders as the packs became available.