Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Aero covers - will you use them?

Do you plan to use the M3 aero covers?

• Always

Votes: 107 37.5%
  • Only on long trips

Votes: 92 32.3%
  • While I'll be getting 18" wheels, I never plan to use the covers.

Votes: 23 8.1%
  • I won't be getting 18" wheels.

Votes: 31 10.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 32 11.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but your request may have come across as a bit pushy. Anyway, if someone has access to pictures/videos of the cover being removed, they likely would be all over the Internet in no time flat. ;)
Ah.... I was acting like a Porsche owner... makes sense

Don't forget if it's really 10% more efficient then that means it will cost 10% less to run (for electricity).

Efficiency isn't just about cost, either. It means greater range. It means faster charging (range-per-unit-time). It means shallower discharge cycles in your daily life, and thus greater battery longevity. It has a lot of knock-on effects.

If it is 10% more efficient* , its only going to be 10% more efficient at highway speeds, Aero drag is proportional to the speed squared so it will do nothing as you crawl along in traffic. Average American annual driving distance is about 14,000 miles, being generous and saying 50% of that driving is at uncongested highway speeds gives 7000miles where you save 10%. so 700miles worth of electricity.
700 miles at .240 kWh/mile = 168kWh of savings. At 20c per kWh thats a grand total of $34/year. $3 a month. Two or three cycles on the battery a year.

That's not enough to get excited about IMO. And in my case 70% of my driving is urban, so the savings are going to be more like $1/month.

If you are one of the posters that was torn between SR and LR because your daily commute is 150miles then it is a different story, that's going to add up to more than a meal at a decent restaurant a year.

* We dont know what the baseline for the 10% was, if it was 19" sport wheels with sticky UHP tyres then most of the energy savings are probably in the tyre choice.

I also think a lot of this will depend on how easy they are to take on and off. That will be a big factor. Also if it doesn't have a natural mechanism in place for taking it on and off frequently you run the risk of damaging them etc which will cause people to just leave them on or off permanently.

I also think a lot of this will depend on how easy they are to take on and off. That will be a big factor. Also if it doesn't have a natural mechanism in place for taking it on and off frequently you run the risk of damaging them etc which will cause people to just leave them on or off permanently.
On the flip side, if they're too easy to take off, you run a greater risk of having them stolen. ;)

Reactions: Gtosnipey
On the flip side, if they're too easy to take off, you run a greater risk of having them stolen. ;)
Right, it shouldn't be easy to take off, but they should be "made" to take on and off if that makes sense. Like using a security tool or whatever. But you know how some things you can take off, and put back on, but they aren't really made for on off on off usage? Right now would be the perfect time for a great analogy but I am drawing a blank for ideas. I dont have a problem spending 5-10 minutes with special tools etc in the garage to take them on and off. I'm just worried someone "found out how" to take them off, but it doesn't mean they were supposed to or meant for that. Anyways yeah lol

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
If it is 10% more efficient* , its only going to be 10% more efficient at highway speeds, Aero drag is proportional to the speed squared so it will do nothing as you crawl along in traffic.

Unless your whole drive is <30mph / 50kph, aero drag is still very meaningful.

Whpermilevsspeed.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DR61
@FlyingKiwi: It's a lot simpler than that. The question is simply, what's your average speed that you drive across all your driving? Let's say 50mph / 80kph. Now bump it up a bit because the time spent above your average matters more than the time spent below the average - say, 60mph / 97kph. Look it up on the above graph for a typical EV (in that case, the Roadster). Aero is half the total energy consumption. 10% divided by 2 is 5%. So

* Your power bill will be 5% lower
* Your range will be 5% longer
* Your vehicle will undergo 5% fewer cycles
* You'll get 5% more distance per minute charging
* Your typical daily cycle depth will be 5% less, which will have about a 15% or so improvement on number of cycles the battery can endure.

If you don't find that meaningful, then that's fine. Others do.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: DR61 and kbM3
Unless your whole drive is <30mph / 50kph, aero drag is still very meaningful.

Whpermilevsspeed.jpg
Your graph shows other wise.. at 30mph, aero drag is about 30Wh/mile. Total wh/mile is 150. Even a 20% saving on aero drag from the wheel covers only drops total wh/mile by (30 x 0.2) = 6 Wh/mile. ~4% of total consumption saved.

At 60mph, aero is about 110 wh/mile, 20% off that is a saving of 22wh/mile, about 8.8% of total consumption.
At 70mph, 0.2* 150 =30Wh/mile or savings of 10%.

So, do you believe wheel covers reduce aero drag by 20%? Seems optimistic to me, but Aero is black magic.. so who knows.

Your graph shows other wise.. at 30mph, aero drag is about 30Wh/mile. Total wh/mile is 150

There is no single cutoff point at which "X" becomes irrelevant; any chosen point is going to be arbitrary. I chose 30mph / 50kph as the point at where aero starts to become irrelevant because it gets down to 15-20% of total consumption there. Also, at those speeds to also tend to encounter a lot more braking losses, making the problem even worse, while at higher speeds you tend to encounter little to no braking. So I think 30mph / 50kph is a quite reasonable point to declare aero as not being significant.

Of course, having such a "cutoff point" is not relevant to the calculation of aero's impact on your total average power consumption.

At 60mph, aero is about 110 wh/mile

There are four dashes between each 50kWh line. It's at the top of the first dash. Which means about 120Wh/mi. Versus 250Wh/mi total. So about 50% of total energy consumption. Which is the number I used in the above calculation.

So, do you believe wheel covers reduce aero drag by 20%?

It was explicitly stated at a 10% aero reduction. 10% aero reduction * 50% of the energy being for aero losses = 5% total energy reduction. Hence, to repeat:

* Your power bill will be 5% lower
* Your range will be 5% longer
* Your vehicle will undergo 5% fewer cycles
* You'll get 5% more distance per minute charging
* Your typical daily cycle depth will be 5% less, which will have about a 15% or so improvement on number of cycles the battery can endure.

If you don't find that meaningful, then that's fine. Others do.

It was explicitly stated at a 10% aero reduction. 10% aero reduction * 50% of the energy being for aero losses = 5% total energy reduction.

No, Nothing has been explicitly stated that I've seen, and certainly not backed up with any data. Please provide a link to your "explicit statement".

As far as I'm aware this whole thread of speculation springs from a conversation that somebody had with a model 3 driver that claimed to be a VP of engineering.
Tesla Model 3 aero wheels can increase efficiency by ~10%, says VP of Engineering

Electrek said:
TMC member 355rockit ran into an unnamed early Model 3 owner, who claimed to be a VP of Engineering at Tesla, at a Supercharger in Monterey.

The Tesla executive gave him a quick walkthrough of his brand new Model 3 and explained why he decided to go with the 18″ wheels:

“He said that he went with Aero since he wants more mileage and said the gain is ~10%.”

So everything is based off a vague off the cuff comment. To get 10% mileage gain - which is how i would interpret the statement quoted by electrek, is going to require a ~20% aero drag reduction at 70mph if we use your roadster graphs as a starting point since we lack any other data.

Until Tesla releases some official statement and data, its all speculation based around one comment.

What we can assert is that in around town driving, or stop start driving on congested highways, the Aero covers are going to do almost nothing, due to aero drag being proportional to v^2, and only make a significant difference as speed increases.

So everything is based off a vague off the cuff comment. To get 10% mileage gain - which is how i would interpret the statement quoted by electrek, is going to require a ~20% aero drag reduction at 70mph if we use your roadster graphs as a starting point since we lack any other data.
Or perhaps ~ 90% of the wheel related losses without the covers.

Honestly, I'll be amazed if the wheel covers reduce total Aero losses by 10%
How well do complete wheel covers do ? Presumably any other design would be something less.