Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Are you in favor or against U.S. doing more in Ukraine?

Are you in favor or against U.S. doing more in Ukraine?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The poll only allows us to pick one option. I would pick several:

Yes, we should do more to help Ukraine.
Yes, let's do more to help the refugees.
Yes, we should support letting Ukraine join NATO immediately.

Not in the poll: We should impose an immediate and total embargo on all trade with Russia.
Not in the poll: We should not merely freeze the assets of Russian kleptocrats ("oligarchs"), but we should confiscate all their assets.

At the risk of invoking Godwin's law: Vladimir Putin is Hitler. Not literally, of course, but he's a sociopath who will not stop invading his neighbors until he is stopped. Appeasement didn't work against Hitler and it won't work for Putin. Allowing him to get more land bit by bit will not satisfy him. He is a liar, a murderer, and a war criminal. We should do everything in our power to aid Ukraine and stop Russia's Hitler.
The poll has been changed to allow multiple answers to be selected.

• Informative
Reactions: daniel
If Putin was hoping to prevent NATO expansion, Russia's war in Ukraine seems to be having the opposite effect. Finland wants to join NATO as soon as possible:

So who thinks Finland and Sweden joining NATO could start WW3? I mean, a big reason Russia has invaded Ukraine was to stop Ukraine from joining NATO. Putin saw the prospect of Ukraine joining NATO as completely unacceptable. Finland has 800 miles of border with Russia. If Ukraine joining NATO was a red line then surely Finland joining NATO is also a red line. And Russia is already issuing threats if Finland joins NATO. I fear that if Finland joins NATO, Putin will feel he has nothing to lose and will strike first rather than wait for NATO to get even stronger.

Having said that, I completely understand why Finland wants to join NATO. I think the lesson they are learning from the war in Ukraine is that if you are not part of NATO, you are vulnerable to Russia attacking you. If Ukraine had been part of NATO, Russia never would have invaded. So Finland sees joining NATO now as their best defense against Russian aggression. They are not wrong.

Reactions: Stuart Watson
So who thinks Finland and Sweden joining NATO could start WW3? I mean, a big reason Russia has invaded Ukraine was to stop Ukraine from joining NATO. Putin saw the prospect of Ukraine joining NATO as completely unacceptable. Finland has 800 miles of border with Russia. If Ukraine joining NATO was a red line then surely Finland joining NATO is also a red line. And Russia is already issuing threats if Finland joins NATO. I fear that if Finland joins NATO, Putin will feel he has nothing to lose and will strike first rather than wait for NATO to get even stronger.

Having said that, I completely understand why Finland wants to join NATO. I think the lesson they are learning from the war in Ukraine is that if you are not part of NATO, you are vulnerable to Russia attacking you. If Ukraine had been part of NATO, Russia never would have invaded. So Finland sees joining NATO now as their best defense against Russian aggression. They are not wrong.

I don't think Putin's illegal invasion of Ukraine was to stop Ukraine from joining NATO. Putin is a Hitleresque madman who wants to annex Russia's neighbors to increase his own power. Allowing countries to join NATO (assuming NATO respects its own commitments to protect its members) is the only way to stop Putin's illegal invasions.

Whether Putin would use nuclear weapons, destroying his own country along with the world, is a separate question I cannot answer because I don't know the degree of his insanity. But I don't think we should let our fear of Russia's presumed threat to use nukes make us capitulate to the madman and allow him to annex neighbors one by one.

Should we let Russia invade and annex Finland because we're afraid Putin might use nukes? I'm pretty sure he could not succeed in annexing Finland without nuking it to ash. But should be let him have Ukraine now, and then invade Finland because we're afraid of Russia's nukes?

I think the best move is to allow any country that feels threatened by Russia to join NATO, in order to deter Putin from invading them.

Putin is a madman and a sociopath. If he's willing to use nukes, then he will use them eventually because once he's annexed all the non-NATO countries of Europe he'll start demanding the NATO countries.

No appeasement! Stop Putin NOW! Admit Ukraine to NATO and admit Finland if Finland decides to ask for membership.

NATO should eject Turkey.

U.S. artillery arriving in Ukraine has longer range than Russian..
Russia does have very long range artillery too. As well as some laser guided artillery.

An interesting read from a few years ago.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/us-army’s-artillery-outmatched-russia’s-big-guns-107526

The best thing thing we have helped Ukraine with is counter battery radar. Typically you want to shoot and scoot before the counter battery radar can determine your location. Problem is field towed pieces are slower to move locations than self propelled platforms like the ones Germany is donating. They are sending Panzerhaubitze 2000 which are self propelled and depending on rounds can shoot 20-40 miles. Don't know what Germany is sending yet.

Bottom line is while Ukraine has fought back, they have still lost a lot of ground. Before the war, Russia basically controlled about 7% of Ukraine. Last I saw that number is double (up to 14%) since the war has started. So maybe Russia didn't take Kyiv and Kharkiv, but the do have Kherson, Mariupol and a land bridge pretty much all the way to Crimea already. They have shut down the port of Odesa and control the Black Sea.

Reactions: Terminator857
803AD4B7-6907-4457-B06D-45D38EC527A3.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.