Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] - are you mad that your new Tesla just missed Autopilot 2.0?

Are you mad that your new Tesla just missed Autopilot 2.0?

• Extremely Pissed!! I want refund or compensation!

Votes: 63 14.7%
  • Mad!! In shock! I will be in daze for days...

Votes: 38 8.8%
  • Slightly mad, but understandable since technology always improve

Votes: 90 20.9%
  • Not sure/ neutral

Votes: 11 2.6%
  • It is alright. Thank god I leased my Tesla instead of owning!

Votes: 36 8.4%
  • Not mad. Know that it is coming given the rumors about Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 38 8.8%
  • Not mad at all. It is good that Tesla keep improving Autopilot hardware

Votes: 129 30.0%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 25 5.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still have paper plates on my P90DL, but I bought it to drive it. Autopilot is neat, but I barely use my 1.0 AP and I'm not sure I'd use the newer system either.

Only downer for me is the clear loss of resale value for the pre AP2.0 cars. At least with model year changes you can predict months ahead of time if you're about to get bitten by a model refresh. With Tesla there's much less warning.
To be fair to Tesla, almost everyone who pay attention to Tesla news know that Autopilot 2.0 is coming. So this upgrade shouldn't be a shock to people, and people shouldn't be pissed.

Reactions: EV-lutioin
My 3 week old MX 90D does not even have 1K miles on it. What would the approximate trade in/upgrade cost be? Is it worth it? I'm torturing myself right now as I spent so much time making the decision to pull the trigger on the purchase.
you can try getting a trade in quote from CarMax (which Tesla will honor their quote), or ask Tesla for a trade in quote. See which one can give you a better offer. Better ask quick, coz CarMax staff most likely have no idea about autopilot 2.0 despite the announcement. Call Carmax tmr morning!!

I wonder how they deal with revenue recognition? In general, you can't legally recognize revenue until all promised features are delivered. Full autonomy is a pretty huge promise, and clearly not close to done -- otherwise the 2.0 feature set wouldn't begin life as a regression from 1.0.

I was disappointed when I cancelled my August order for a MS P100D and lost the $2,500 down, but now I'm glad I made that tough decision. :) I'll certainly pony up the $8,000 for the new full autonomous camera and sensor suite. Just wondering if I should wait until January while they're training the system and ironing out any remaining kinks in the new hardware.
why did u cancel the P100D in the first place?

Reactions: HumanGenome
You should feel extremely lucky that you paid for AP 1.0 on your lease. Paying $8000 for AP 2.0 hardware, and the software probably won't be ready for another year or more.
Take a look of the new config page. There are now two tiers of Autopilot to choose from. The cheaper option (which perform better than AP 1.0) is 5000 dollars. Full-autonomous is 8000.

I wonder how they deal with revenue recognition? In general, you can't legally recognize revenue until all promised features are delivered. Full autonomy is a pretty huge promise, and clearly not close to done -- otherwise the 2.0 feature set wouldn't begin life as a regression from 1.0.

Same as they did with AP1.0, rev rec from AP sales would be deferred until the feature set was delivered.

why did u cancel the P100D in the first place?
Perhaps the question should be why did I place my order in the first place. I went ahead and ordered in early August because there were articles being written about Tesla producing vehicles with new autonomous hardware. After purchasing, I could not find any evidence backing up these articles' claims, so I backed out (one day too late to get my deposit back). Some people may think that autonomous capabilities are not that important, but I'm a software guy who wanted his brand new car to be on the next-gen development platform.

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk and davidc18
I've only had my model S for a couple of weeks and we all new 2.0 was coming. Sure there was that sinking feeling when I heard the news but you know this car is just the greatest and I love driving it. In 3 years when the time comes to upgrade then 2.0 will be rocking and I'll have had a heap of fun with my 1.0 S. It helps that I'm in Oz and we still have the resale guarantee I must admit.

Reactions: ggnykk
Perhaps the question should be why did I place my order in the first place. I went ahead and ordered in early August because there were articles being written about Tesla producing vehicles with new autonomous hardware. After purchasing, I could not find any evidence backing up these articles' claims, so I backed out (one day too late to get my deposit back). Some people may think that autonomous capabilities are not that important, but I'm a software guy who wanted his brand new car to be on the next-gen development platform.
One day after confirming? If I lost $2500 anyway why didn't you wait 3-4 weeks in case you were surprised?

Turns out it didn't matter but Tesla has pros and cons from its model. I would never cancel early only to help Tesla out. Real jerk move would be go to delivery. Looks physically for multiple cameras and then reject delivery, but it's your money and their model

I'm confused. Do you need to pay extra to get a new Tesla with AP2.0 hardware? Or do you pay to get the software unlocked (which right now is near useless)?
Don't all cars come off the assembly line with the hardware? Should make those who don't unlock autonomy features still take advantage of crash avoidance and the like, right?

I'm confused. Do you need to pay extra to get a new Tesla with AP2.0 hardware? Or do you pay to get the software unlocked (which right now is near useless)?
Don't all cars come off the assembly line with the hardware? Should make those who don't unlock autonomy features still take advantage of crash avoidance and the like, right?

It was like the previous APv1, each car is built with full functionality hardware, but you pay to software unlock, level 1 and now level 2. More expensive to software unlock after delivery.

Reactions: Cloxxki
I'm not mad at all, glad Tesla is pushing this forward as fast as possible.

I am disappointed that they are not working harder to offer a retrofit. Elon says it's not worth the cost delta, but I'd like to know how much we're really talking. There is much more cost to a new car than the buy-sell delta. There's sales tax, there are doc and reg fees, there's any aftermarket work you've done, and you reset the clock on excise tax, which is quite painful at least in states like MA. And it's a big hassle. I would pay some amount in excess of a buy-sell delta to get self-driving hardware on my '15 MS and not have to deal with any of that. Here's to hoping (but not expecting) that Tesla reconsiders or that comma.ai can produce something compelling for us some day.

when i can get in my car and take a nap, then wake up an hour later at work, ill be envious of that technology. I think we are a bit. away from that. Also it will be interesting if other auto makers catch up. I am very happy with autopiolt 1.0, can't imagine 2.0 will make the experience much better, for at least a few years.

Reactions: Chaz