Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] - are you mad that your new Tesla just missed Autopilot 2.0?

Are you mad that your new Tesla just missed Autopilot 2.0?

• Extremely Pissed!! I want refund or compensation!

Votes: 63 14.7%
  • Mad!! In shock! I will be in daze for days...

Votes: 38 8.8%
  • Slightly mad, but understandable since technology always improve

Votes: 90 20.9%
  • Not sure/ neutral

Votes: 11 2.6%
  • It is alright. Thank god I leased my Tesla instead of owning!

Votes: 36 8.4%
  • Not mad. Know that it is coming given the rumors about Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 38 8.8%
  • Not mad at all. It is good that Tesla keep improving Autopilot hardware

Votes: 129 30.0%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 25 5.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very happy Elon continues to push the bounds of innovation

My brand new AP1 is still the best car I have ever owned, and is years ahead of every single car owned by all my friends and family. It will be years before my car is outclassed by a BMW etc, and it will have many software upgrades to keep it ahead.

Its like complaining about the size of the 5th bedroom in your house - 99% don't even have a 5th bedroom

True, but you'd be mad if your builder started giving away the 5th bedroom for free the day after you closed on your house. o_O

Still love my Tesla, but it still stings. If it wasn't for the fact that I am in another state for work that it is even bothering me so much. I would otherwise be home driving. :cool:

I feel same way, why would tesla release the p100 battery pack a few weeks before AP 2 with all the new hardware that isn't retrofittable. There will be a whole group of new p100d owners that have buyers remorse like me. That is a release that should have been synchronized.
Problem is then there would be p90d owners who missed BOTH by days or weeks. With the rate they are innovating, we all just need to accept that our cars will be second best within months. Still a mighty fine car.

Problem is then there would be p90d owners who missed BOTH by days or weeks. With the rate they are innovating, we all just need to accept that our cars will be second best within months. Still a mighty fine car.
P90 was out for a long time. P100 just came out, big upgrade. Why not announce both together? Imagine releasing model 3 with ap1, then upgrading 2 -3 weeks later with ap2. That would piss off many early owners

Reactions: xborg and coolgj
yea, it's really ridiculous to sell P100Ds at ~$150k then come out with something new a few weeks later....

The P100D was Elon's way of trying to push Q3 sales to beef up financials. AP2 is this quarter's "upgrade of the quarter" promotion to spur Q4 numbers. Just plan that there will be a Q1/17 and Q2/17 of the same tactic.

At least AP2 self driving won't be fully realized for quite a long time. I wouldn't be surprised that they will announce a new product/upgrade before AP2 exceeds AP1 features.

Tesla needs cash, tons of cash.

Putting this here as well. Mostly because it was cathartic to write.
Here's the sting in it. I took delivery of a P90DL in late July this year. When I talked to my OA and then DS, about puling the triigger, they told me after the facelift, nothing was going to change for awhile. Admittedly i should have done more research on AP2, but my DS also told me that it would an upgradable option, so not to worry. My mistake for trusting an employee.
So I pulled the trigger. Weeks later when P100D was announced, It didn't upset me at all. The bump in range would be great, but performance-wise the P90DL is more than amazing, I didn't care about the tenths. What troubles me about my non-retrofitable 100K+ car is that I'm off the train. Its not about keeping up with the Jones's or having the top model. i love driving a wolf in sheeps clothing! it was about being on the ride towards the future, and feeling that excitment of what could be next. Sadly now, since the CPU in the car has significantly changed and my hardware is no longer being installed, the priority will naturally shift to the newer hardware set. Innovation will be targeted at the new platform, and rightly so.
Its just hard to reconcile that a car purchased 4 months ago, that was at the top of the line, at a price 3x any car I had previously purchased, will not partcipate in that revolution. I'm not mad at Telsa, I'm long on the stock and thank Elon and the Tesla team for the revolution they started. I just miss my front row seat. I guess I'll get used to my seat in the back. Its an amazing car to drive, even if it won't be driving me!

I appreciate the 'glass half full' mentality.. but Tesla doesn't seem to give an ounce of pre-warning or discount to new customers. The 'sales' team in Australia also made out there were no upgrades due for a while. It's the dishonesty that is more annoying than the update itself. I feel sorry for the guys who ordered and missed out by 3 weeks like I did.
I think there are tons of people that pay attention to Tesla news know that AP 2.0 is coming. It has been a very strong rumor for many months now. There were even detail electric circuit diagrams that leaked out a few months ago clearly indicating AP 2.0 design. But I understand your frustration, especially given the high price of Tesla in Australia. Maybe you can just reject the delivery?

My feelings are mixed of course. I took the car on Sept 11 and it is fantastic. So of course it hurts to miss the refresh by six weeks. But AP1 is already so far beyond other cars.

Now I was thinking about whether to buy the new car and trade in the current. But I'm going to wait because:
  • AP2 isn't even planned to be better until 2017.
  • Given Elon's optimism, it probably will still be catching up well into 2017.
  • And given Tesla's takeover of the whole software, i imagine they'll be working out significant bugs for a while compared to AP1. I mean, AP1 has its quirks, but I know them and accept them. AP2 quirks could be something less acceptable to me like "don't use it in fog".
  • Also, AP2 will take a while to be significantly, trustably better. I'm not even sure what features would make me want to upgrade. I want to see a lot of data before trusting AP2 to handle intersections and lights. So we're already talking about a year plus.
  • And level 5 autonomy? That will take years for approval, and every accidental death is going to set back the process.
  • The whole door-to-door thing sounds nice, but I don't trust the current nav to get me anywhere nontrivial. If Tesla improves that, it will improve for all cars.
  • Auto-Find-parking would be a KILLER feature, but I really have a tough time believing this feature will ever work. I mean, how will it know where to look? Current auto park doesn't even find most spots, and often offers to park in driveways. Lots of parking signs are messed up. And time limits? Paying for a ticket?
So in the end, I mainly want AP1 features to be better! More stable, handle more situations. As long as I have to be alert to intercede, AP2 will only be an incremental upgrade. And it will be a long time, maybe forever, before I trust full autonomy, as in sleeping the whole way or working on a laptop.

So in the end, I'm a little sad, but also glad to not be alpha testing AP2 either. And I'll be watching the trade-in market of course...
contact CarMax for a trade-in quote. Tesla shops will honor CarMax prices. CarMax probably don't even know the existence of AP2.0 (until too many Tesla owners try to get a quote all of a sudden like now)

• Funny
Reactions: Jurnimon
When I talked to my OA and then DS, about puling the triigger, they told me after the facelift, nothing was going to change for awhile. Admittedly i should have done more research on AP2, but my DS also told me that it would an upgradable option, so not to worry.

The only thing these guys should say about changes is that any change can be introduced at any time and they are not told about changed in advance. Tesla should train their sales/DS staff to tell this fact if buyer asks about future changes.

About battery size we know that Elon twiited that 100kWh might the biggest they'll ever do and of course that can be told to customers. Probably there will be bigger batteries but apparently not for a while.

I bought mine when I did only because of the $13K discount. I was pretty sure AP2.0 would be announced in October so I went in with my eyes open. Just didn't realize it would be self-driving hardware. That was a huge shock. I'm a little disappointed but not mad at Tesla.
I just hope that they keep updating AP1.0 because it needs improvement. At least I got the rear USB ports and cup-holders. Almost as good as AP2.0 :D.

I understand that Tesla couldn't announce their plans in advance because they desperately need the cash and 3rd quarter sales would probably have been cut in half. I, for one, would have waited. It just really sucks for the P100D owners who spent a premium for the latest and greatest and it ends up being the greatest for a couple weeks. I think this was bad form on Tesla's part. They really should have delayed the P100D until it could have been outfitted with AP2.0 hardware.

Reactions: ggnykk
I bought mine when I did only because of the $13K discount. I was pretty sure AP2.0 would be announced in October so I went in with my eyes open. Just didn't realize it would be self-driving hardware. That was a huge shock. I'm a little disappointed but not mad at Tesla.
I just hope that they keep updating AP1.0 because it needs improvement. At least I got the rear USB ports and cup-holders. Almost as good as AP2.0 :D.

I understand that Tesla couldn't announce their plans in advance because they desperately need the cash and 3rd quarter sales would probably have been cut in half. I, for one, would have waited. It just really sucks for the P100D owners who spent a premium for the latest and greatest and it ends up being the greatest for a couple weeks. I think this was bad form on Tesla's part. They really should have delayed the P100D until it could have been outfitted with AP2.0 hardware.

So I keep hearing that the S has rear USB ports and cup holders but not seen any pictures, can you provide ? Take it they are on the rear of the center console ????

Oh the humanity

The iPhone Tesla analogy has to be the most used on this form.

Do people understand iPhones are $600 and Teslas are $100-160k. What's the comparison? I lose a couple iPhones in deprecation a month owning a Tesla.

Guess what? iPhones deprecation is at least very predictable and I usually make money selling my old one and get a cheap one with carrier subsidies.

What carrier subsidies? Aren't those basically washed up?

The only thing these guys should say about changes is that any change can be introduced at any time and they are not told about changed in advance. Tesla should train their sales/DS staff to tell this fact if buyer asks about future changes.

About battery size we know that Elon twiited that 100kWh might the biggest they'll ever do and of course that can be told to customers. Probably there will be bigger batteries but apparently not for a while.
there is no way that low-ranking employees know the top secret of a company. If everyone in the company knows about new features, leaks will go out to public easily, consumers will just keep holding off their purchases until the next best thing.