Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] - are you mad that your new Tesla just missed Autopilot 2.0?

Are you mad that your new Tesla just missed Autopilot 2.0?

• Extremely Pissed!! I want refund or compensation!

Votes: 63 14.7%
  • Mad!! In shock! I will be in daze for days...

Votes: 38 8.8%
  • Slightly mad, but understandable since technology always improve

Votes: 90 20.9%
  • Not sure/ neutral

Votes: 11 2.6%
  • It is alright. Thank god I leased my Tesla instead of owning!

Votes: 36 8.4%
  • Not mad. Know that it is coming given the rumors about Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 38 8.8%
  • Not mad at all. It is good that Tesla keep improving Autopilot hardware

Votes: 129 30.0%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 25 5.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am disappointed that they are not working harder to offer a retrofit. Elon says it's not worth the cost delta, but I'd like to know how much we're really talking. There is much more cost to a new car than the buy-sell delta. There's sales tax, there are doc and reg fees, there's any aftermarket work you've done, and you reset the clock on excise tax, which is quite painful at least in states like MA. And it's a big hassle. I would pay some amount in excess of a buy-sell delta to get self-driving hardware on my '15 MS and not have to deal with any of that. Here's to hoping (but not expecting) that Tesla reconsiders or that comma.ai can produce something compelling for us some day.

I would pay for a retrofit as well. Hell, I would consider a $10k loss to buy a new one, though I will likely be more in the hole than that. Do not get me wrong, I appreciate the evolution of tech and Tesla (and am happy from my stock portfolio), but I would appreciate a little more predictability. For cars, we know general life cycles, we also know that they change (large or incremental) from year to year. The difference with cars is if I bought a Mercedes-Benz in September, I would have made the choice to buy or not buy a 2016 vs 2017 after having first seeing/reading about the 2017. Even Apple gives you some more heads up. They have a predictable lifecycle.

Tesla does not and it does suck. In 2016 alone, we have seen the MS/MX change rapidly with no support or sympathy to those how supported prior. Such is the Tesla model, I guess, but I think many would pay for the upgrade to the next level if they simply kept the prior iteration in mind when moving the evolution along.

Iam in the exactly same boat with you... no discount and took delivery end of Sept.

Well, we can grab a coffee and talk about what a difference a month makes.

As long as Tesla keep updating AP1.0 and refining the performance (and give us a goddamn better web browser!) then I'm happy. Technology moves on, I took delivery 3 weeks ago but that's life.

The thing is - here in the UK at least - "true" autopilot is decades, if not a century away. Most of our roads aren't straight, we have a million roundabouts and many insane traffic systems. It might happen on motorways but again, with how long it takes to get anything through parliament, it'll be a long, long time before we see any progress.

This is so typical of a tech company.. Customers always lose out and there's always incentive to keep buying the latest model. Fair enough they are making the car's better! I'm not against that, but I have every right to vent my f** frustration as I am taking delivery of a Tesla in a week.........................1ST WORLD PROBLEMS

I took delivery of my P90DL early August so it's obviously a bit of a bummer knowing that if I had just waited a few months I would have had the better AP.
However, it's actually better to miss the update by a bit than by a lot unless you were planning on selling the car after just a few months.
That way when you are ready to buy your next car the technology will have matured. You may get an even higher level of tech. In any case you would be able to buy a used car with the new must have tech at a severely depreciated price
The depreciation is probably a bit less than people imagine as the used price isn't just set by what's available at higher price but also whats available at a lower one.

I took delivery of my P90DL early August so it's obviously a bit of a bummer knowing that if I had just waited a few months I would have had the better AP.
However, it's actually better to miss the update by a bit than by a lot unless you were planning on selling the car after just a few months.
That way when you are ready to buy your next car the technology will have matured. You may get an even higher level of tech. In any case you would be able to buy a used car with the new must have tech at a severely depreciated price
The depreciation is probably a bit less than people imagine as the used price isn't just set by what's available at higher price but also whats available at a lower one.

I appreciate the 'glass half full' mentality.. but Tesla doesn't seem to give an ounce of pre-warning or discount to new customers. The 'sales' team in Australia also made out there were no upgrades due for a while. It's the dishonesty that is more annoying than the update itself. I feel sorry for the guys who ordered and missed out by 3 weeks like I did.

Reactions: Mbenz528i
I feel sorry for the guys who ordered and missed out by 3 weeks like I did.

So you would rather have missed it by 2 years in which case you would actually be worse off? Or perhaps it would be better if Tesla never did another update?
When you bought the car you knew that there would be future upgrades that you wouldn't have.

Still I too am bummed that I missed out but it's wrong to be mad. The system was not "rigged" against me. (sorry couldn't help myself)

Reactions: ggnykk
My feelings are mixed of course. I took the car on Sept 11 and it is fantastic. So of course it hurts to miss the refresh by six weeks. But AP1 is already so far beyond other cars.

Now I was thinking about whether to buy the new car and trade in the current. But I'm going to wait because:
  • AP2 isn't even planned to be better until 2017.
  • Given Elon's optimism, it probably will still be catching up well into 2017.
  • And given Tesla's takeover of the whole software, i imagine they'll be working out significant bugs for a while compared to AP1. I mean, AP1 has its quirks, but I know them and accept them. AP2 quirks could be something less acceptable to me like "don't use it in fog".
  • Also, AP2 will take a while to be significantly, trustably better. I'm not even sure what features would make me want to upgrade. I want to see a lot of data before trusting AP2 to handle intersections and lights. So we're already talking about a year plus.
  • And level 5 autonomy? That will take years for approval, and every accidental death is going to set back the process.
  • The whole door-to-door thing sounds nice, but I don't trust the current nav to get me anywhere nontrivial. If Tesla improves that, it will improve for all cars.
  • Auto-Find-parking would be a KILLER feature, but I really have a tough time believing this feature will ever work. I mean, how will it know where to look? Current auto park doesn't even find most spots, and often offers to park in driveways. Lots of parking signs are messed up. And time limits? Paying for a ticket?
So in the end, I mainly want AP1 features to be better! More stable, handle more situations. As long as I have to be alert to intercede, AP2 will only be an incremental upgrade. And it will be a long time, maybe forever, before I trust full autonomy, as in sleeping the whole way or working on a laptop.

So in the end, I'm a little sad, but also glad to not be alpha testing AP2 either. And I'll be watching the trade-in market of course...

I would pay for a retrofit as well. Hell, I would consider a $10k loss to buy a new one, though I will likely be more in the hole than that. Do not get me wrong, I appreciate the evolution of tech and Tesla (and am happy from my stock portfolio), but I would appreciate a little more predictability. For cars, we know general life cycles, we also know that they change (large or incremental) from year to year. The difference with cars is if I bought a Mercedes-Benz in September, I would have made the choice to buy or not buy a 2016 vs 2017 after having first seeing/reading about the 2017. Even Apple gives you some more heads up. They have a predictable lifecycle.

Tesla does not and it does suck. In 2016 alone, we have seen the MS/MX change rapidly with no support or sympathy to those how supported prior. Such is the Tesla model, I guess, but I think many would pay for the upgrade to the next level if they simply kept the prior iteration in mind when moving the evolution along.

Well, we can grab a coffee and talk about what a difference a month makes.
Yea, we should definitely do that. Let me pm you my email.

Reactions: Mbenz528i
Love my September 30 P100D... But can't lie that this is a bummer. "Knowing" that this update was coming based on combing through an online forum is not the same as a heads up word from the company to a repeat customer.

Same boat as you. At least the car we are manually driving is an incredible one.

Maybe by the time AP 2 matures, they'll have other goodies that we want such as longer range with 2170 cells, faster charging, etc.

Realize that Autopilot 2.0 will also be "old tech" one day, just like a 5 year old iPhone. Personally, I'll enjoy what I have now and watch it evolve over the next 5-8 years and buy Autopilot 4.0. And just like today, there will be a thread dedicated to unhappy customers who got "stuck" with version 3.0.

If you are only content with the best that will ever exist, you'll spend your life waiting.

In reality autonomous is well off. Even AP2 I envision will need a lot of interaction for years to come, likely requiring yet new hardware even. Sheesh the easy auto park rarely works well, gives current false spots, car won't do garages even with AP2, and current car can't even pull straight into our basic garage well.

AP2 will be a nice assisted driver function for those that live in less populated perfect cities with no issues (which is rare).