Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] - Are you ordering Model Y?

Are you ordering Model Y?

• Yes. Definitely ordering on 1st day of unveiling, or Already placed order

• Yes. Definitely ordering within the first few weeks of unveiling

• Yes. But I will wait until it is in production

• Yes. But I will wait until the big price drop

• Yes. But I will wait a few years for quality to stabilize

• Not sure. Still considering

• No. Already own one or multiple Tesla

• No. It is still too expensive for me.

• No. The range is too short

• No. I am waiting for Tesla Pickup truck or Roadster

• No. I am buying EV from other brands.

• No. I am sticking with gasoline car. EV sucks.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm...shouldn't that be the same thing? Unless you plan to reserve the car, and then not follow through to buy it eventually.
That may be the case for me. Lease on my Kia Optima PHEV ends September 2020, so I want to reserve a Model Y as a possible replacement. Already put down a $1,000 deposit on a Polestar 2 this past week. Figure I better get in line for both since production probably won’t start on either until next summer. Hopefully at least one of them will be ready by September.

It’s crazy that I need to plan 18 months ahead for my next EV! (Model 3 is a no go, too uncomfortable getting in and out of based on trying my friends’ cars)

That may be the case for me. Lease on my Kia Optima PHEV ends September 2020, so I want to reserve a Model Y as a possible replacement. Already put down a $1,000 deposit on a Polestar 2 this past week. Figure I better get in line for both since production probably won’t start on either until next summer. Hopefully at least one of them will be ready by September.

It’s crazy that I need to plan 18 months ahead for my next EV! (Model 3 is a no go, too uncomfortable getting in and out of based on trying my friends’ cars)
I believe Tesla plan to produce Model Y starting in April of next year. So if there are no delay with the production, you should be able to get the car before September

I'd have to know towing capacity before even considering it.

Surprised people are talking about AWD vs RWD. I'll be really amazed if there is a single motor version even offered. Nobody made any outlandish $35k promises on this car. It will be $45k and up, all dual motor.
Elon said only 10% higher price than Model 3 so RWD is guaranteed. Plus RWD has better range which is especially important for cheaper batteries.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I wonder when we will see 600 miles EPA range in a small SUV EV that can be bought under $35k dollar. I probably have to wait another 10 to 15 years....

Look at what's been accomplished in just 5 years. Tesla started out with the 60 and is now up to the 100 pack. I think the landscape will completely change in 10. We may even see on road passive charging similar to cell phone wireless charging. Other countries are considering deploying in space a solar farm and beaming the power back to earth. 10 years? it's going to be fun.

Elon said only 10% higher price than Model 3 so RWD is guaranteed. Plus RWD has better range which is especially important for cheaper batteries.
Nothing is "guaranteed". I read the 10% higher as "10% higher than the equivalent Model 3". No promises as to what configurations would be offered.

At the time of the Model X release, there were RWD Model S's being produced. There were never any RWD Model X's produced.

I don’t expect RWD to be built initially, but there’s plenty of folks that will want the range over a front motor. I’ll guess the SR is only RWD and LR only AWD. If they make an MR, probably AWD as well.

edit: actually I think they’ll make a LR RWD too. It’ll be the longest range and they’ll want to be able to put that range number in the marketing.

Back in the middle of last year, I had a chance to buy a model 3. We have an X, and take the family up to Tahoe a lot skiing. I could not picture loading my two oldest daughters (in car seats) into the 3 with ski gear, etc comfortably. So, I bought a Toyota 4Runner. If the Y has a nice load space and sits higher more like the X then I’m 100% in. I better start prepping the trade in paperwork.