Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] - are you ordering Powerwall 2.0?

are you ordering Powerwall 2.0?

• I am all in!! I am ordering BOTH solar and TWO or more Powerwall

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • I am all in!! I am ordering BOTH solar and ONE Powerwall

• Definitely!! I will order TWO or more (without solar)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Definitely!! I will order ONE of them (without solar)

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Thinking about ordering it. Still looking into the details

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • Not sure. Depends if solar can be installed at my house

• Not sure. $5500 each is still expensive

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • No, my electric bill is not very high anyway.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Hell no. It is still way too expensive.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Hell no. I don't believe in global warming.

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ggnykk

Feb 7, 2016
Earth
The new Powerwall 2.0 basically double both power output (kw), and capacity (kwh) of the previous version of Powerwall. AND, it now include an inverter (DC to AC conversion) fully integrated inside the Powerwall 2.0. One of them costs $5500 USD.

Are you ordering Powerwall 2.0?

More info at Tesla Powerwall

From Tesla website:

Powerwall 2
With double the energy density of our first generation battery, Powerwall 2 can power a two-bedroom home for a full day. Compact, stackable and with a built-in inverter, installation is simple, either indoor or outdoor.

• Usable Capacity13.5 kWh
  • Depth of Discharge100%
  • Efficiency90% round-trip
  • Power7kW peak / 5kW continuous
  • Supported ApplicationsSolar self-consumptionTime of use load shiftingBackupOff grid
  • Warranty10 years
  • ScalableUp to 9 Powerwalls
  • Operating Temperature-4° to 122°F / -20°C to 50°C
  • DimensionsL x W x D: 44" x 29" x 5.5"(1150mm x 755mm x 155mm)
  • Weight264.4 lb / 110 kg
  • InstallationFloor or wall mountedIndoor or outdoor
  • CertificationUL and IEC certifiedGrid code compliant

One 14 kWh Powerwall battery $5,500

Installation and supporting hardware starts at $1,000

Total estimate $6,500

Requires $500 deposit for each Powerwall

Total cost excludes sales tax, permitting and fees.

Installations begin January 2017.

• Informative
Reactions: Yoda101
Yeah. Although I might consider buying one as a time-shifting mechanism to deal with parts of the year with little sunshine. I'm not sure time-shifting is allowed under PGE rules though.
what do you mean by time-shifting is not "allowed"? You can do it once you have solar and Powerwall installed. You can technically do it. But whether PGE discourage you from doing it through financial dis-incentive is another story I bet.

You didn't really have an option that fit me.
Solar for 10 years already. Paid off now or very soon.
My usage is right about even what I produce over the year to what I consume.
My utility will pay me for any extra power.
We only have power outages about once a year for 2 hours.

My question is really why??? So I went with too expensive.

You didn't really have an option that fit me.
Solar for 10 years already. Paid off now or very soon.
My usage is right about even what I produce over the year to what I consume.
My utility will pay me for any extra power.
We only have power outages about once a year for 2 hours.

My question is really why??? So I went with too expensive.
this poll is specifically for Powerwall. Not solar roof (I have another thread for that).

Since you said that you already got solar, maybe you should add a Powerwall just to do load-shifting and as a back-up? It is a very logically step for most people who already own solar.

Time shifting is one thing but that will go away over time as California has a lot of solar panels.

What about time shifting over the year! Elon keeps showing that graph of during one day, but the amount of energy you generate is very small during the winter.
load-shifting to allow you to fully rely on battery in winter time will be super expensive. You need probably like a two million dollar system, so that you get enough solar energy stored in summer, and rely on batteries (and partially from grid) in winter.

I don't think any companies in the world can solve this load-shifting from summer to winter problem. There are less sun in winter, just no way around it unless you are willing to get a 2 million dollar solar/battery system that is similar in scale to your local power utility sub-station.

this poll is specifically for Powerwall. Not solar roof (I have another thread for that).

Since you said that you already got solar, maybe you should add a Powerwall just to do load-shifting and as a back-up? It is a very logically step for most people who already own solar.

nope. ran the #s on the first powerwall. Would only recoup costs in 20 years or so as the differences were so minimal. And that was not considering time value of money or changes in the rates.

Have solar already here in AZ. Would like powerwall. My system currently disconnects when there's no current detected from the grid.

So I'm wondering if I can even use this as a backup?

Does Tesla change the system slightly to allow for this? Or is this a municipality/code regulation