Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll - Are you waiting for the infrastructure bill before ordering?

For those in the market for a tesla - what of the below options do you belong to?

• I can wait - and I am going to wait until at least august (when they hope bill will pass)

Votes: 65 19.8%
  • I can wait - and I am going to wait until at the bill passes (August 2024.....)

Votes: 35 10.7%
  • I can wait - and am ordering now and accepting deliverh ASAP

Votes: 49 14.9%
  • I cannot wait - and am ordering now and accepting delivery ASAP

Votes: 92 28.0%
  • I cannot wait - but I am going to milk my current situation to maybe get until august

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • Undecided and will make a rash decision as I have ADHD

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • I would pay 2X MSRP for a tesla because I make bank, therefore accepting delivery ASAP

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • I currently have a Tesla and will trade in for a different vehicle when incentives pass

Votes: 21 6.4%
  • I currently have a Tesla and am trading in before incentives pass

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • I am going to keep my current Tesla for at least 2+ years and incentives will not change that

Votes: 24 7.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A non-binding amendment was passed that would limit tax credits to those making under $100,000, and to EV's that cost unser $40,000.

It very likely will not go anywhere like this, but it's an indication of at least one of the forces at play.

A non-binding amendment was passed that would limit tax credits to those making under $100,000, and to EV's that cost unser $40,000.

It very likely will not go anywhere like this, but it's an indication of at least one of the forces at play.

Lol so when will Tesla make the 80 miles range Model 3 for $39,995 that can be software unlocked later to 250 miles?

for those waiting on the tax credit thing... proposed $40k limit cutoff. That knocks pretty much every tesla out of eligibility.

This is stupid, there are like what 2 cars that meet this criteria?!?! I mean, most ICE cars in this class are $50K+...you don't incentivize people to go electric by limiting the credit by income, car cost OR whether they are unionized or not....what a joke. Oh well, I'll make it up other ways on my taxes I guess.

Reactions: MorgansRun
This is stupid, there are like what 2 cars that meet this criteria?!?! I mean, most ICE cars in this class are $50K+...you don't incentivize people to go electric by limiting the credit by income, car cost OR whether they are unionized or not....what a joke. Oh well, I'll make it up other ways on my taxes I guess.
Well if you can afford a car that costs more than $40k you're considered "wealthy" lol. Most politicians are so out of touch it's scary.

I think once they initiate this rebate it will open the door to an additional surge of Tesla orders.

Only Tesla orders.

Tesla wants to accelerate the transition to EVs, but their products are so desirable and in demand at this time that they’re just unintentionally accelerating the transition to more Teslas.🤩

But only if they can build’em fast enough.

I can wait, but I decided to order now and take advantage of the current trade in value. I’m trading in a 2020 Tacoma for slightly less then what I bought it for about a year ago. I ordered a Model 3 Performance.
That’s actually really smart because I f you wait, not only will the freak surge in used car prices die down, but if Tesla continues does what they have been doing lately, their prices will only go up.

That’s actually really smart because I f you wait, not only will the freak surge in used car prices die down, but if Tesla continues does what they have been doing lately, their prices will only go up.

That's a good point. I like many have taken advantage of this inflated used car market and sold one of my cars for a few thousand more than I should've gotten. If I waited until next year when demand subsides and the chip shortage returns closer to normal, the used car market would've most certainly also returned to normal and I wouldn't have received as much. It almost balances itself out. I just couldn't play the waiting game with this infrastructure bill anymore and decided to sell while values are still ridiculously high.

So is the re-establishment of a quota for GM and Tesla in or out of the budget framework that has now passed in the house and senate? I haven't been able to tell for sure. The senate passed a non-binding resolution limiting rebates to vehicles under $40K and people with income under $100K, but none of the news reports said whether or not that would lift the 200K vehicle limit affecting GM and Tesla. Such a bill would be a nice gift for Kia et al, I wonder why the senate wants to exclude most of the made in USA (or close by anyway) options? The senator from Ford has her hair on fire over this provision that would exclude the Lightning.

So is the re-establishment of a quota for GM and Tesla in or out of the budget framework that has now passed in the house and senate? I haven't been able to tell for sure. The senate passed a non-binding resolution limiting rebates to vehicles under $40K and people with income under $100K, but none of the news reports said whether or not that would lift the 200K vehicle limit affecting GM and Tesla. Such a bill would be a nice gift for Kia et al, I wonder why the senate wants to exclude most of the made in USA (or close by anyway) options? The senator from Ford has her hair on fire over this provision that would exclude the Lightning.
No EV credits are in any bill passed or announced at this point in time. We will see over the next few weeks as the reconciliation bill is drafted.

I currently do not have finance to pay full price, just need a little help.
Or if its at 0% interest, I will jump on that immediately.

Also waiting for Texas and Berlin to go full production (supply demand price drop)
I was able to get under 1.7% interest.... over 5 years the total interest payments for me are about $1,500 dollars. So really not that much in the grand scheme of things. Just something to consider.

Reactions: MontyFloyd
OK the latest proposal is for POS rebates of $7500 and an additional $4500 for union-made cars. The income limitations were lifted up to something like 400K per year, and the price limitations for sedans were lifted from 40K to 50K. Though the proposal allows for point of sale discounts to consumers, the money-back amounts still seem to be called tax credits as well as rebates in the 2 articles I read. And I can’t really find any information about whether there is any retroactive aspect to the proposal, or not. Does anybody on TMC have a clearer picture on this new proposal?

And I can’t really find any information about whether there is any retroactive aspect to the proposal, or not. Does anybody on TMC have a clearer picture on this new proposal?

Saw this ref on Twitter.

Search the waysandmeans-house-gov doc for this text:

N2VzxrT.jpg

Reactions: sb415
In the end I didn’t wait. First off I assume if / when this possibility becomes real all of the manufacturers will bump up the price of qualifying cars (you will recall as Tesla’s initial tax credit availability tapered they countered by reducing the costs of the cars… at least the m3). Second consideration for me was the insane resale value of my mid range M3. I told it to Carmax for $39,000 with 34,000 miles on it (essentially I got back what I paid got it new). That cannot be sustainable. So given all that and the questions about the legislation I happily ordered and picked up an LFP SR+ yesterday.

I just ordered yesterday. Delivery estimate Oct. 30 to Nov. 29. Unless it becomes much more likely that I’ll be eligible for whatever, if anything, ends up getting passed, I’m probably going to take delivery this year.

Overall Tesla has demonstrated that at the current pricing there is clear consumer willingness to pay since they have sufficient if not higher demand than supply with out tax credits, so in this situation they are incentivized to raise prices and I imagine they would want to maximize their own benefit.
  • M3 LR AWD: I think this is the most interesting case since it starts already so close to the upper bound of $55,000 in the current legislation If this is passed as is, Tesla would likely increase price by at least $500 from $49,990 to $50,490 which would still allow for all the upgrades (total of $4,500). $5000 could happen too but man they are gonna have more demand for White/Black/Aero combinations. Benefit of waiting until Jan 2022 would be $3000-7500.
  • M3 SR+ RWD: I would imagine that given the LR AWD pricing Tesla would want to maintain most of their $10k price difference so I would guess they mirror the LR AWD price increase meaning the same Benefit range of $3000-7500.
  • M3 P: It already starts at $56,990 so no benefit!
  • MY LR AWD: Tesla can raise the price as much as $7000 from $53,990 to $60,990 and still allow for the $8000 maximum of upgrades which would only net the customer $1000 of benefit to wait until 2022.
  • MY P: Tesla could the MY P $6000 from $60,990 to $66,990 allowing for both upgrades (max of $2000). This also maintains most of the price difference between the LR AWD and P. This would only mean a $2000 benefit to the customer to wait until 2022.