Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll - Are you waiting for the infrastructure bill before ordering?

For those in the market for a tesla - what of the below options do you belong to?

• I can wait - and I am going to wait until at least august (when they hope bill will pass)

Votes: 65 19.8%
  • I can wait - and I am going to wait until at the bill passes (August 2024.....)

Votes: 35 10.7%
  • I can wait - and am ordering now and accepting deliverh ASAP

Votes: 49 14.9%
  • I cannot wait - and am ordering now and accepting delivery ASAP

Votes: 92 28.0%
  • I cannot wait - but I am going to milk my current situation to maybe get until august

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • Undecided and will make a rash decision as I have ADHD

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • I would pay 2X MSRP for a tesla because I make bank, therefore accepting delivery ASAP

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • I currently have a Tesla and will trade in for a different vehicle when incentives pass

Votes: 21 6.4%
  • I currently have a Tesla and am trading in before incentives pass

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • I am going to keep my current Tesla for at least 2+ years and incentives will not change that

Votes: 24 7.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a M3 LR AWD yesterday. I have little confidence Democrats can pass this bill as it is without the full support of their own senators. i.e. Manchin. They will probably pass some super trimmed down version of it with support from Republicans. I would think at that point the EV portion of the bill would be gone. Of course none of us have a magical crystal ball. I am just making an educated guess here. I opted for ordering and enjoying the car rather than playing the waiting game.

I convinced my parents to get a Model Y this spring. Unfortunately now we have this possible $10,000 EV incentive to consider. I guess there’s much worse problems to have. It’s more than twice what they have ever spent on a car before, so I would feel bad if they bought it now and then a few months later it’s $10,000 cheaper.

Their 2007 Outback only has 70k miles on it, so no immediate need, other than life is too short not to be driving a Tesla when you’re 80 years old, or any age for that matter.

other than life is too short not to be driving a Tesla when you’re 80 years old, or any age for that matter.

That becomes a huge factor the older you get. I'm retired but not near that age and justified my recent order with the fact I'm not getting any younger. Might as well enjoy what I can for as long as I can and the Model 3 is definitely more enjoyable to drive than my current vehicle.

already ordered and will accept delivery. with the influx on the inferstructure bill as it is and the idea that the price is predicted to rise, I would forgo the 7000 tax credit at this point and rather save the 7000 in fuel costs over my non hybrid gas car. For me it was a really simple decision.. do I wait till gas prices arein the 5 dollar a gallon range or do I save now?

deferring your buy for another 5 months to see what happens won't cost that much in fuel (more like $300-500), but I get it, having a new car now rather than later is a good thing.
I agree with your point about gas. The bigger thing to keep an eye out for is to see how much Tesla increases the price. It seems as that the car goes up $500 every other week. We can only imagine it will continue that trend esp with the chip shortage and demand for the car exceeding the supply by a large amount.

Reactions: jawnly211
waiting would have already cost me 1k in price jumps. That is not stopping the demand.
That high demand probably means it is harder to get the credits in the bill, i mean, why give extra encouragement when people are already maxing the supply?

When I put my order on hold, i was told the price will stay the same unless I change something, so I can wait without worrying about getting hit with a price bump.

i asked my Tesla salesperson to put my order on hold. He said I could keep it that way "indefinitely" which didn't make a lot of sense to me, but i guess we will see how it goes.
I read over the contract again, and the only thing it says is if you don't take delivery within 3 months of Tesla's first attempt to deliver it to you they can cancel your order and keep your deposit. Well they probably wouldn't start to notify me until June anyway, so 3 months from that date is sometime in Sept and I hope things are figured out by then.
This is exactly what I am doing

Have wanted to get an EV for several years, but with two newer reliable cars (Camry hybrid & RAV4) I have held off. The Camry was totaled in January so decided it was time to get serious about an EV. My primary criteria going into my decision were a car made in the US, great range, safety, price, and a car that looked sharp (no offense to the owners of other EV makes). Placed my order for M3 LR in April. A federal tax credit would be fantastic if it happens and if it ends up being retroactive, but that is a lot to ask for and I won't hold my breath. I guess I could delay my delivery and see what happens with the bill, but not sure I can wait. Getting by with one car is getting old and with my new M3 staring me down next month...

Pics? Don't blame you. I have the patience of a toddler.
20210307_183939.jpg

We are awaiting bank checks and lien clearing.
19 M3P, FSD, unplugged performance low springs, F+R swaybars, PPF, martian rims and a lot of miles which i still think I may have over paid for.
20210307_140414.jpg

Well prices are high across the board at this time. You get to enjoy your M3P now while avoiding these gas prices. Those are nice upgrades also!

Edit: Just saw you were the one who made this thread. You were supposed to stay strong for the rest of us man lmao.

Well prices are high across the board at this time. You get to enjoy your M3P now while avoiding these gas prices. Those are nice upgrades also!

Edit: Just saw you were the one who made this thread. You were supposed to stay strong for the rest of us man lmao.
I found out my work discount would only be $1500 (then taxed down to like $800) for the performance version. And I would have spent a pretty penny on similar mods to this so in the end id say its a wash. Hopefully at 120k miles i can still get fair trade in. Thats only 60k miles away, or 2-3 years sadly....

Did I not read the poll properly...is there an option for ordering, and delaying until whenever...which they will do, and hope for the EV tax credit.

If it doesn't transpire...well, used one I guess. Sell my place to someone else if it doesn't transpire. Or, lock in the price now if the credit comes through and buy.

Know a few people doing this and have already ordered/waiting it out.

Did I not read the poll properly...is there an option for ordering, and delaying until whenever...which they will do, and hope for the EV tax credit.

If it doesn't transpire...well, used one I guess. Sell my place to someone else if it doesn't transpire. Or, lock in the price now if the credit comes through and buy.

Know a few people doing this and have already ordered/waiting it out.
I was told by Tesla online I can only defer acceptance at most 3 months. Others have had like ordering, talking to their service adviser and getting them to delay their order for months more.

No promises it seems.