Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll - Are you waiting for the infrastructure bill before ordering?

For those in the market for a tesla - what of the below options do you belong to?

• I can wait - and I am going to wait until at least august (when they hope bill will pass)

Votes: 65 19.8%
  • I can wait - and I am going to wait until at the bill passes (August 2024.....)

Votes: 35 10.7%
  • I can wait - and am ordering now and accepting deliverh ASAP

Votes: 49 14.9%
  • I cannot wait - and am ordering now and accepting delivery ASAP

Votes: 92 28.0%
  • I cannot wait - but I am going to milk my current situation to maybe get until august

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • Undecided and will make a rash decision as I have ADHD

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • I would pay 2X MSRP for a tesla because I make bank, therefore accepting delivery ASAP

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • I currently have a Tesla and will trade in for a different vehicle when incentives pass

Votes: 21 6.4%
  • I currently have a Tesla and am trading in before incentives pass

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • I am going to keep my current Tesla for at least 2+ years and incentives will not change that

Votes: 24 7.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just wanted to clarify how I read the bill.

The tax credit is currently a thing. But Tesla is subject to the 200k vehicle limit. The May 24 date is what we care about, because that removes the 200k vehicle cap. Of course that date could change but as is if you were to but after that date you’d get the tax credit.
The December 31,2021 is when the tax credit becomes refundable. That means you can get the full value of the tax credit even if you pay less than 7500 in tax a year. I doubt many people buying Teslas are sensitive to that part of it.

Personally I’m excited to get mine in June. I worry too much about chip shortage and them increasing price to offset tax benefits. Meanwhile there’s also a chance it’s retroactive. Seems sort of a coin toss so I’ll take the car ASAP

The above makes sense. Just the mystery of if/when it passes and final details. Could be any of the above scenarios I guess. Would just infuriate me though if I take delivery June/July, then it passes, and you miss out on it, and the savings is substantial this credit. *sigh*

I just texted my SA today about this. Delivery date is 6/18-6/30. Asked about delaying order until July or Aug. She said it would be more likely Aug/Sept (end of quarter).

Now trying to figure out IF this thing will pass or will I kick myself for missing out on 3 months of driving excitement. Don't really need the car now, but would love to have it. WWYD?
Driving excitement? You mean the lack of features and driving assists that won’t be in the car with the radar delete? All you will be missing are the standard autopilot options for awhile and be thankful for that.

My rep told me while I was at the dealer I could delay it up to 6 months...then no more. I guess they kind of wing it and have some flexibility, but I didn't see any written policy anywhere. I'm basically just going to try and get my current car sold as soon as possible. If/when the Tesla is ready, see how it goes then. Wont' rely on the Bill, but most expect it is coming and will happen, any delivery date this year will qualify. But my biggest issue is selling my current ride and getting some money out of it really.

Thanks
Can’t edit my reply....get with it forum admins!!!

Anyway, the agreement stated you have 3 months to accept/delay. Not sure why a friend of mine and myself were told by two different REPS at the Tampa location that we could delay it 6 months???

Not sure why a friend of mine and myself were told by two different REPS at the Tampa location that we could delay it 6 months???
I was told the similar by my rep. And it makes sense to me. Tesla contract says within 3 months, but why wouldn't they be willing to let you slide longer as long as demand is there and others are stepping in to take cars? If you stay on the list vs. just cancelling and possibly getting another brand it doesn't cost them anything. (and that separate from the question of how long to allow you to keep your car price locked in as long as you don't change it)

The new bill passed out of the senate committee is RETROACTIVE to 5/24, should it be passed by the Senate and House.
  • $7.5k retroactive to any cars purchased after 5/24
  • $2.5k additional credit to cars purchased after 12/31/2021
https://www.finance.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Clean%20Energy%20for%20America%20Act%20-%20Chairman's%20Mark.pdf

Page 30 of the bill (33 of the PDF)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that retroactive verbiage for a commercial EV? I don't think this would apply to a Tesla for personal use.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that retroactive verbiage for a commercial EV? I don't think this would apply to a Tesla for personal use.
From the Bill:

Effective Date

The extension of the EV credit for two- and three-wheeled electric vehicles is effective for vehicles acquired after December 31, 2020.

The elimination of the per-manufacturer-cap is effective for vehicles sold after May 24, 2021. The portions of the proposal making the EV credit a refundable personal income tax credit along with the VIN requirement are effective for vehicles acquired after December 31, 2021.

The EV credit phase-out rule is effective on the date of enactment.

The commercial EV credit is effective for vehicles acquired after December 31, 2021.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
The elimination of the per-manufacturer-cap is effective for vehicles sold after May 24, 2021

This is what I'm banking on and hoping comes true! I just got notice that my Tesla Model Y is on a truck heading from California to Virginia and now I need to make a decision on if I should pull the trigger on the purchase. If there's even a 25% chance that this bill passes this year and gives a $7.5k tax rebate to people who purchased after May 24th, I'm all in.

Reactions: Stan930
there is no telling. I’m unclear on what the rest of the process is and how likely it is that changes will occur on each part. I’m with you on the $7500. I’m fine with missing the other $2500 but don’t want to leave $7500 on the table if waiting a month or two ensure I’ll get it.

I read it as effective for vehicles sold after the date on enactment. Which makes sense. Why use $ to try to incentivize something that has already occurred. The May 24, 2021 date Is confusing to me too.

Different link from above.

(B) EFFECTIVE DATE.—The amendment
made by this paragraph shall apply to vehicles sold after the date of the enactment of this Act.

Page 82 of 139.
https://www.finance.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Clean Energy for America Act.pdf

Reactions: sb415 and play150
The new bill passed out of the senate committee is RETROACTIVE to 5/24, should it be passed by the Senate and House.
  • $7.5k retroactive to any cars purchased after 5/24
  • $2.5k additional credit to cars purchased after 12/31/2021
https://www.finance.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Clean%20Energy%20for%20America%20Act%20-%20Chairman's%20Mark.pdf

Page 30 of the bill (33 of the PDF)
To postpone my M3 until Jan. 1 or not to take advantage of the full 10k credit, that is the question...

This is what I'm banking on and hoping comes true! I just got notice that my Tesla Model Y is on a truck heading from California to Virginia and now I need to make a decision on if I should pull the trigger on the purchase. If there's even a 25% chance that this bill passes this year and gives a $7.5k tax rebate to people who purchased after May 24th, I'm all in.
I just picked mine up on the 30th, last Friday.:)

I read it as effective for vehicles sold after the date on enactment. Which makes sense. Why use $ to try to incentivize something that has already occurred. The May 24, 2021 date Is confusing to me too.

Different link from above.

(B) EFFECTIVE DATE.—The amendment
made by this paragraph shall apply to vehicles sold after the date of the enactment of this Act.

Page 82 of 139.
https://www.finance.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Clean Energy for America Act.pdf
Agreed, not sure why anyone would think credit would be retroactive outside of them just wanting it after accepting delivery. Why would you give an incentive for a transaction that already happened without it?

I’m in SF and the rumblings here are Nancy wants a Infrastructure vote before July 4. Who knows if that’s right but I could see the president wanting to talk about his signature bill on 7/4.

Agreed, not sure why anyone would think credit would be retroactive outside of them just wanting it after accepting delivery. Why would you give an incentive for a transaction that already happened without it?
I think this is the part of the Clean Energy for America Act that is giving people (myself included) hope that the $7,500 tax rebate will be restored for Tesla for cars sold after 5/24/2021...

1622951487537.png