Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll - Are you waiting for the infrastructure bill before ordering?

For those in the market for a tesla - what of the below options do you belong to?

• I can wait - and I am going to wait until at least august (when they hope bill will pass)

Votes: 65 19.8%
  • I can wait - and I am going to wait until at the bill passes (August 2024.....)

Votes: 35 10.7%
  • I can wait - and am ordering now and accepting deliverh ASAP

Votes: 49 14.9%
  • I cannot wait - and am ordering now and accepting delivery ASAP

Votes: 92 28.0%
  • I cannot wait - but I am going to milk my current situation to maybe get until august

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • Undecided and will make a rash decision as I have ADHD

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • I would pay 2X MSRP for a tesla because I make bank, therefore accepting delivery ASAP

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • I currently have a Tesla and will trade in for a different vehicle when incentives pass

Votes: 21 6.4%
  • I currently have a Tesla and am trading in before incentives pass

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • I am going to keep my current Tesla for at least 2+ years and incentives will not change that

Votes: 24 7.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was told by Tesla online I can only defer acceptance at most 3 months. Others have had like ordering, talking to their service adviser and getting them to delay their order for months more.

No promises it seems.

I just texted my SA today about this. Delivery date is 6/18-6/30. Asked about delaying order until July or Aug. She said it would be more likely Aug/Sept (end of quarter).

Now trying to figure out IF this thing will pass or will I kick myself for missing out on 3 months of driving excitement. Don't really need the car now, but would love to have it. WWYD?

I just texted my SA today about this. Delivery date is 6/18-6/30. Asked about delaying order until July or Aug. She said it would be more likely Aug/Sept (end of quarter).

Now trying to figure out IF this thing will pass or will I kick myself for missing out on 3 months of driving excitement. Don't really need the car now, but would love to have it. WWYD?
In my situation waiting costs me so that’s not an option. Fingers crossed for retroactive 7500 tax break.

You all just go ahead and postpone; I’ll get my car right away and then either the bill dies or gets so watered down by ev-hating big oil republicans that it won’t be such a big rebate anyway…and if it is, Elon will raise the US price to take half of it. What’s left will only increase the value of my car that I’ll be driving 9 months before you all get yours lol.

Figured I would make a poll to see where I am at versus the rest of you in regards to Tesla ordering...

In another post i commented there are two situations:
1) Those who cannot wait and want a Tesla
2) Those who can wait and want a Tesla

What we may miss out on jf we accept delivery before bills pass (these are totally going to change in value and probably ideas, but are incentives that exist from reading current bill standings (may be wrong)...
From what I gather the GREEN act and infrastructure bill want to propose all of the following:
$7k tax incentive for models between 200k-600k production.
$10k point of sale rebate.
$XXXX potential trade in incentive (like when cash for clunkers occured) if you trade in an ICE vehicle over 2 years old towards a BEV
I bet Elon would increase the Tesla price if it does pass. Just a hunch.

Reactions: techlogik

If you dont need it, just hold your spot as prices I am sure will increase.
I am optimistic that if it passes in any form it should be the early August timeframe.

And if not, it seems most people were able to hold their orders longer than I was told. I just have attention problems so I got impatient lol.

Maybe tesla will hold them indefinetly but do not want people to know or do it regularly?

I was told by Tesla online I can only defer acceptance at most 3 months. Others have had like ordering, talking to their service adviser and getting them to delay their order for months more.

No promises it seems.
My rep told me while I was at the dealer I could delay it up to 6 months...then no more. I guess they kind of wing it and have some flexibility, but I didn't see any written policy anywhere. I'm basically just going to try and get my current car sold as soon as possible. If/when the Tesla is ready, see how it goes then. Wont' rely on the Bill, but most expect it is coming and will happen, any delivery date this year will qualify. But my biggest issue is selling my current ride and getting some money out of it really.

Thanks

Reactions: Pyre
It's been 6 weeks since I placed my order, and 4 weeks since I put it on hold. I have gotten pretty used to not thinking about the order every 10 min like I did when I first ordered it (and first time on this site in a few weeks) so it does get easier ;)

Still planning on waiting another month or so before restarting my order to make sure I get in on the 3rd quarter deliveries (my b-day is in Sept, so hey, a b-day present for me is one way to look at it)

It's been 6 weeks since I placed my order, and 4 weeks since I put it on hold. I have gotten pretty used to not thinking about the order every 10 min like I did when I first ordered it (and first time on this site in a few weeks) so it does get easier ;)

Still planning on waiting another month or so before restarting my order to make sure I get in on the 3rd quarter deliveries (my b-day is in Sept, so hey, a b-day present for me is one way to look at it)
Which model did you order? Prices have indeed jumped

M3P. Spaceship trim (white and white).

I was a little worried about the proposed luxury cap on the credit i heard about, but seems like the bill just announced as out of the Senate Committee has the cap at 80k, so no prob there.
Sheesh if i anticipated an increase in the cap I may have waited.

I thought the values (cap and discount amounts) would only be talked down.

My wife is test driving today. Now that the bill is moving forward I think I will wait to order. It looks like it will be $10k for Tesla, and possibly an upfront discount at point of sales rather than a tax credit (if it passes of course). Who knows what it will be in its final form on Biden's desk and what the selling price will be at that time but a $10k discount is just too hard to pass up.

Reactions: scottf200
The new bill also includes an extra $2.5k for cars manufactured with union workers so that means GM and Ford will have an extra $2.5k advantage on Tesla. Hopefully that caps the amount Tesla is going to jack up prices as the bill progresses.

Current Clean Energy Act for America bill just passed by the Senate Finance Committee would be a 10k credit for Tesla, active on 12/31/2021. That's too much risk for me regarding used car values, EV price increases, and losing the current $2500 (refundable) CO tax credit. Will keep monitoring though until car is ready and make final decision then.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210529-163912.png
    Screenshot_20210529-163912.png
    874.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Clean_Energy_for_America_Act_Chairmans_Modified_Mark.pdf
    142.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Informative
Reactions: s373n and scottf200
Current Clean Energy Act for America bill just passed by the Senate Finance Committee would be a 10k credit for Tesla, active on 12/31/2021. That's too much risk for me regarding used car values, EV price increases, and losing the current $2500 (refundable) CO tax credit. Will keep monitoring though until car is ready and make final decision then.
Ok well so just read through it. I’m editing my post. Another person noted that the cap of 200k cars Tesla had would possibly be removed which means the previously credit would be in effect again as of 5/24/21?!?!

I read at one point the date would be July 1st retro. Of course these bills change weekly and often daily. So who knows. Some wording states Jan 1, 2022 purchase. But the exception to the cap limit would go away and make the current EV and previous credit valid for Tesla again??

We need a lawyer or someone to clarify this. There is conflicting info in the next sentence regarding making it a tax credit for vehicles delivered after 12/31/2021. Which is contrary to the previous sentence about the cap limit and 5/24/21 date. Is that a POS credit?

Last edited:
Oooh.... good catch. I didn’t read well enough. If that is the verbiage, then I assume this means the previous tax credit will go back into effect?!?

I edited my post, it is conflicted those two sentences the more I read it.
That’s how it looks like if these provisions stand as is. Of course final bill can change but then anything can change in final bill so for now I am glad with it.

Oooh.... good catch. I didn’t read well enough. If that is the verbiage, then I assume this means the previous tax credit will go back into effect?!?

I edited my post, it is conflicted those two sentences the more I read it.
There are a number of competing bills, the two leading being the Green Act and the Clean Energy Act for America. Currently both have different rebate proposals. Skopos labs has the Green Act at a 10% chance of passing. Given the partisan divide over the Clean Energy Act for America I would place its odds about the same. Skopos will give their odds once the bill is introduced.

We ended up ordering our vehicle a few hours ago after Intel's CEO statement overnight that the chip shortage is likely to last far longer than previously anticipated, and may take 3 years to resolve. We are in Oregon and wanted to make sure we at least get the state rebate for 2021. We spoke to an associate where my wife did the test drive and he stated if we ordered today it will likely get delivered in September. On the outside chance one of the green legislations is passed we may still be in play for that in September. We felt ordering now was a good compromise on all fronts with this new information (price increases, extended wait times, extended chip shortage, possible new incentives).