Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll - Are you waiting for the infrastructure bill before ordering?

For those in the market for a tesla - what of the below options do you belong to?

• I can wait - and I am going to wait until at least august (when they hope bill will pass)

Votes: 65 19.8%
  • I can wait - and I am going to wait until at the bill passes (August 2024.....)

Votes: 35 10.7%
  • I can wait - and am ordering now and accepting deliverh ASAP

Votes: 49 14.9%
  • I cannot wait - and am ordering now and accepting delivery ASAP

Votes: 92 28.0%
  • I cannot wait - but I am going to milk my current situation to maybe get until august

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • Undecided and will make a rash decision as I have ADHD

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • I would pay 2X MSRP for a tesla because I make bank, therefore accepting delivery ASAP

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • I currently have a Tesla and will trade in for a different vehicle when incentives pass

Votes: 21 6.4%
  • I currently have a Tesla and am trading in before incentives pass

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • I am going to keep my current Tesla for at least 2+ years and incentives will not change that

Votes: 24 7.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The EV credits could certainly still happen in the projected $3.5T reconciliation bill. However, I think it is unlikely due to the following:
  1. Democrats need unanimous consent from their party in the Senate
  2. Democrats can only lose 3 votes in the House
  3. Moderate Democrats have already voiced concerns that $3.5T is far too high
  4. Tax credits for EV's really isn't a hugely popular idea in Washington among moderates
  5. EV credits projected cost is $100B+
  6. EV credits are an easy thing to drop when the total bill cost is too high
I'm not gunna hold my breath on it as I think it is wishful thinking at this point. Could things change? Could they keep the EV credits in the bill but cut it in half? We will know in 2 months.

Also Tesla and every other EV manufacturer is likely to raise prices if a tax credit is imminent unless there is a cap at $50k or $55k in the bill.

I don’t see this as something to bet on either way. But it does kind of mitigate my impatience as far as waiting for my order. Because it could lead to that option of pivoting on my order to pick up a rebate. Probably I get my M3 at the end of September, which feels like a long time from now. Maybe by the middle of September there will be more clarity as far as whether this bill is a fizzle or a rising possibility. If it turns out to be a possibility then best case scenario is tax-credit-retroactive to May, 2021, allowing me to simply carry on and complete my order as soon as possible. If the bill generates a rebate opportunity starting in 2022, then the tough question for me is whether to try to put a hold on my transaction for 3 months. But correct me if I’m wrong, Tesla won’t be able to jack the price up on an order that is already in place… or can they?

Reactions: rcmx
I don’t see this as something to bet on either way. But it does kind of mitigate my impatience as far as waiting for my order. Because it could lead to that option of pivoting on my order to pick up a rebate. Probably I get my M3 at the end of September, which feels like a long time from now. Maybe by the middle of September there will be more clarity as far as whether this bill is a fizzle or a rising possibility. If it turns out to be a possibility then best case scenario is tax-credit-retroactive to May, 2021, allowing me to simply carry on and complete my order as soon as possible. If the bill generates a rebate opportunity starting in 2022, then the tough question for me is whether to try to put a hold on my transaction for 3 months. But correct me if I’m wrong, Tesla won’t be able to jack the price up on an order that is already in place… or can they?
No, they cannot jack up the price once you have placed the order. That is what my sales advisor told me when I was placing the order. He said once you place the order, it locks you in for the price.

Also Tesla and every other EV manufacturer is likely to raise prices if a tax credit is imminent
I just read about the rumored monkeying that Tesla is doing with the Model S owners who ordered before the 10k price bump. Their orders keep getting pushed back in favor of ppl with the 10k added. If the post taxcredit price bump every comes to pass, and someone locks in a price for their 3 before the bump, I can see the same happening. Kinda crappy service...

Reactions: techlogik
changing cars, for me, is not a necessity; but if the tax thingie 'works' and there's an appealing electric vehicle for sale that qualifies, I could be convinced to go for it. tesla or other (likely not tesla again, to be honest).

if I had to buy - something urgent/etc - that would be different; in which case, you buy based on need, not on incentive! can't believe this isn't obvious.

so, everyone here should be in the 'I dont need - but I want' column. yes?

But correct me if I’m wrong, Tesla won’t be able to jack the price up on an order that is already in place… or can they?

They can, and they have already done this to S/X orders with people that had them in place before the most recent refresh. Some people even wanted to keep their old orders to keep the price, but Tesla said too bad, pay more for the new one or your order is cancelled <in short>.

for those waiting on the tax credit thing... proposed $40k limit cutoff. That knocks pretty much every tesla out of eligibility.

"Only electric cars that cost less than $40,000 would be eligible.

Additionally, only buyers with an income of less than $100,000 would be able to apply for the tax credit.

Fischer claimed that the incentive was primarily just a tax break for wealthy Americans buying electric vehicles"

She's not wrong...but I think $50k would be a more appropriate limit than $40k.

Reactions: Sam1 and DRTII
for those waiting on the tax credit thing... proposed $40k limit cutoff. That knocks pretty much every tesla out of eligibility.

Non-binding vote- with all but 2 of the "yes" votes coming from the party that won't be voting for the final bill anyway.

Terribly written story to leave those most relevant facts out.

Reactions: TesSpartan
Non-binding vote- with all but 2 of the "yes" votes coming from the party that won't be voting for the final bill anyway.

Terribly written story to leave those most relevant facts out.
It is extremely relevant.

The 3 Democratic Senators that voted for the amendment: Joe Manchin of West Virginia, Mark Kelly and Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona, are the same senators that have said the $3.5T infrastructure bill price tag is far too high. How do you bring the price tag down? One way is to limit the EV credit reform.

It is extremely relevant.

The 3 Democratic Senators that voted for the amendment: Joe Manchin of West Virginia, Mark Kelly and Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona, are the same senators that have said the $3.5T infrastructure bill price tag is far too high. How do you bring the price tag down? One way is to limit the EV credit reform.
Have the new credit mirror the stimulus payments income limits, (75k for single, 150k for couple/HoH with phaseout at 100k/200k) restrict eligible vehicles to those with <$50k MSRP EVs with majority of parts content U.S. AND manufactured in the U.S. as well, There you go.

"Only electric cars that cost less than $40,000 would be eligible.

Additionally, only buyers with an income of less than $100,000 would be able to apply for the tax credit.

Fischer claimed that the incentive was primarily just a tax break for wealthy Americans buying electric vehicles"

She's not wrong...but I think $50k would be a more appropriate limit than $40k.

If this only applies to people under a certain income level, this will be nothing more than a transfer of wealth tactic under the guise of an EV incentive program.

If this only applies to people under a certain income level, this will be nothing more than a transfer of wealth tactic under the guise of an EV incentive program.

Nope.

It's a GOP proposal to just slow EV adoption in general by exempting nearly every EV on the market from qualifying for the credit.

But as mentioned- it's not even a binding amendment.

That doesn't mean there won't potentially be discussion of actually adding either an income or MSRP cap as we go forward- but this isn't actually one.

Nope.

It's a GOP proposal to just slow EV adoption in general by exempting nearly every EV on the market from qualifying for the credit.

But as mentioned- it's not even a binding amendment.

That doesn't mean there won't potentially be discussion of actually adding either an income or MSRP cap as we go forward- but this isn't actually one.
If this is their floor to start negotiating, then there's only one way to go from here...up. Those elephants and donkeys should be able to get it together.