Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll - Are you waiting for the infrastructure bill before ordering?

For those in the market for a tesla - what of the below options do you belong to?

• I can wait - and I am going to wait until at least august (when they hope bill will pass)

Votes: 65 19.8%
  • I can wait - and I am going to wait until at the bill passes (August 2024.....)

Votes: 35 10.7%
  • I can wait - and am ordering now and accepting deliverh ASAP

Votes: 49 14.9%
  • I cannot wait - and am ordering now and accepting delivery ASAP

Votes: 92 28.0%
  • I cannot wait - but I am going to milk my current situation to maybe get until august

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • Undecided and will make a rash decision as I have ADHD

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • I would pay 2X MSRP for a tesla because I make bank, therefore accepting delivery ASAP

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • I currently have a Tesla and will trade in for a different vehicle when incentives pass

Votes: 21 6.4%
  • I currently have a Tesla and am trading in before incentives pass

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • I am going to keep my current Tesla for at least 2+ years and incentives will not change that

Votes: 24 7.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah sounds like we're in exactly the same boat. I'm also selling a '18 LR M3. I think i'm going to sell mine next week as I think the value can only go down from here. And I found a friend which will let me use his 3rd car for much less than renting one, so that will take the pressure off. I'm still not sure I'll do anything to delay the delivery date, as I don't think Tesla would make that easy, and this bill is still not law.
Yeah, same situation. I have an offer for 48k that I accepted and am on track to sell for on Monday 11/1. Wife is pushing to try and extend it out but I'm worried offer will drop.
Unfortunately we don't have a third car or have family who does. I do have a friend who does have an extra, have to speak with him I guess.

I have some time with delivery window of 11/24-12/24 so I'm not going to do anything to extend delivery either. Agreed that Tesla likely will not make it easy to just extend as then everyone would do that and then they lose on their end of quarter push.

Hopefully the bill is written soon and then we can base decisions on facts rather than guesses.

Wow $48k is a great offer! Is that selling private party or to a dealer? Do you have FSD? I do not, and was pretty pleased with my offer of $43k.
Yeah, it's a great offer which is why I want to take it!

Our car is just a basic Dual Motor long range, no FSD, not even autopilot. It is white which was $1k extra back then. It's only got 25k miles on it so that helps and I've kept it in great shape which also helps. Offer is through KBB.

The highest trade-in offer I've gotten so far for my 2018 LR RWD, MSM, 19", AP @ 26k miles is ~$44k. I've seen private party listings for similar configs listed for sale at $45k-47k but not sure what they are actually selling for in the end.

I've been doing this dance of trying to take advantage of current high resale value of M3 and a possible tax credit on the new MY for a while. I had pretty much given up on this tax bill this summer when I ordered the MY but it seems more likely to pass now. I don't have another car to use if I sold the M3, so I'm hoping that waiting and saving ~$8k on the MY makes up for the likely drop in value of my M3, if this bill passes.

If I save $8k on the MY and lose ~$5k-6k on the M3, I would still come out ahead. However, there's no way to know how this might impact prices, so it's a gamble.

Sounds like I’m in the same cruise ship as a bunch of you. Put in my order for a M3LR this week as I saw they were still showing delivery estimates of December. Now I have a EDD Dec 15-31 and have no idea how to proceed from here. Do I cancel the order and just take the deposit loss and order in the new year risking a higher price and much longer back order, or do I gamble and try and push back delivery or refuse delivery close until the 30 day period.

Sounds like I’m in the same cruise ship as a bunch of you. Put in my order for a M3LR this week as I saw they were still showing delivery estimates of December. Now I have a EDD Dec 15-31 and have no idea how to proceed from here. Do I cancel the order and just take the deposit loss and order in the new year risking a higher price and much longer back order, or do I gamble and try and push back delivery or refuse delivery close until the 30 day period.
Every situation is different, so you need to do what's best for you and your situation. But from reading several threads and a multitude of opinions it seems the majority strategy is to keep your order and just delay delivery by reaching out to your SA. You can either do it now or just wait till they assign you a VIN.

Reactions: RapidRick
So this thread led me on a wild goose chase, trying to read about the "infrastructure bill." I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but it seems the infrastructure bill is actually the Bipartisan Infrastructure Package (also called "BIF," not sure why it's not "BIP"). But the BIF doesn't contain any EV credits. EV tax credits are actually a separate bill called the Build Back Better Act that contains the the EV credit. This is the bill that Biden announced on 10/28. Fortunately, the progressive Democrats stated that they will not vote for the BIF without also voting for the Build Back Better Act. The bad news is that the Build Back Better Act that was just announced hasn't had its text released. There was a prior one (without an EV tax credit?), but that one seems dead.

Anyway, I was super confused. I have a law degree, but wading through this garbage is not my forte. Also, can I just give a huge middle finger to every single media outlet (left, right, and center) who ALL failed to link the actually bills and formal announcements. Give me the sources guys, please.

So this thread led me on a wild goose chase, trying to read about the "infrastructure bill." I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but it seems the infrastructure bill is actually the Bipartisan Infrastructure Package (also called "BIF," not sure why it's not "BIP"). But the BIF doesn't contain any EV credits. EV tax credits are actually a separate bill called the Build Back Better Act that contains the the EV credit. This is the bill that Biden announced on 10/28. Fortunately, the progressive Democrats stated that they will not vote for the BIF without also voting for the Build Back Better Act. The bad news is that the Build Back Better Act that was just announced hasn't had its text released. There was a prior one (without an EV tax credit?), but that one seems dead.

Anyway, I was super confused. I have a law degree, but wading through this garbage is not my forte. Also, can I just give a huge middle finger to every single media outlet (left, right, and center) who ALL failed to link the actually bills and formal announcements. Give me the sources guys, please.

Section 136401

AFAIK, that's going to get changed or replaced? I came across that last night, but it's from September 2021. The new "framework" is here: President Biden Announces the Build Back Better Framework | The White House You can see it was announced a month after H.R.5376 was introduced into the House.

This new framework is supposed to be different. According to NPR, "Some senators said they believed there was still room to negotiate on details of the package, which indicates they are not close to a final bill.

Anyway, my point is that this that our beloved tax credit is not in the "infrastructure bill," yet some outlets are discussing this BBBA framework as one in the same with the BIF. And as I referenced in my other post, "Congressional Progressive Caucus Chairwoman Rep. Pramila Jayapal, D-Wash., said Biden's visit did not shift her members, who insist that they will not vote for the $1 trillion bipartisan infrastructure bill that passed the Senate in August until the agreement becomes a bill."

If Rep. Jayapal is still waiting for this framework to become a bill, can we assume that H.R.5376 is dead? Not sure.

To me it looks like we are still quite far away from getting our tax credit into law. Though, I'm a know-nothing so hopefully I'm wrong.

• I ordered a Model 3 in September, with an expected delivery date for December.
  • In October I received a call saying one was available, I wasn't ready, and I declined it.
  • Today I received a call saying one was available, I read rumblings about this Washington stuff, so I declined it.
  • I read that this bill is retroactive from January 1st, 2021. So it seems logical to me, to wait to take delivery until after Jan 1.
  • I was told (by Tesla) that if a hold is put on my order, my price will change according to Tesla's pricing.
  • It stands to reason then that I shouldn't put the order on "hold" but merely decline delivery (that's different?).
  • Bottom line, I'm not sure if I should take delivery or not because its only a few weeks until January and $8,000 is a lot to me.
What do you guys think my strategy should be? I'm not in the biggest hurry, as I'm building a garage (for the Model 3) that will be completed December 20th.

• I ordered a Model 3 in September, with an expected delivery date for December.
  • In October I received a call saying one was available, I wasn't ready, and I declined it.
  • Today I received a call saying one was available, I read rumblings about this Washington stuff, so I declined it.
  • I read that this bill is retroactive from January 1st, 2021. So it seems logical to me, to wait to take delivery until after Jan 1.
  • I was told (by Tesla) that if a hold is put on my order, my price will change according to Tesla's pricing.
  • It stands to reason then that I shouldn't put the order on "hold" but merely decline delivery (that's different?).
  • Bottom line, I'm not sure if I should take delivery or not because its only a few weeks until January and $8,000 is a lot to me.
What do you guys think my strategy should be? I'm not in the biggest hurry, as I'm building a garage (for the Model 3) that will be completed December 20th.

Can you clarify? Particularly,

• I read that this bill is retroactive from January 1st, 2021. So it seems logical to me, to wait to take delivery until after Jan 1.”

Maybe the “2021” is a typo, but there is also a mention of “retroactive” which again implies “2021”. And yet you want to delay your order until 2022?

AFAIK, that's going to get changed or replaced? I came across that last night, but it's from September 2021. The new "framework" is here: President Biden Announces the Build Back Better Framework | The White House You can see it was announced a month after H.R.5376 was introduced into the House.

This new framework is supposed to be different. According to NPR, "Some senators said they believed there was still room to negotiate on details of the package, which indicates they are not close to a final bill.

Anyway, my point is that this that our beloved tax credit is not in the "infrastructure bill," yet some outlets are discussing this BBBA framework as one in the same with the BIF. And as I referenced in my other post, "Congressional Progressive Caucus Chairwoman Rep. Pramila Jayapal, D-Wash., said Biden's visit did not shift her members, who insist that they will not vote for the $1 trillion bipartisan infrastructure bill that passed the Senate in August until the agreement becomes a bill."

If Rep. Jayapal is still waiting for this framework to become a bill, can we assume that H.R.5376 is dead? Not sure.

To me it looks like we are still quite far away from getting our tax credit into law. Though, I'm a know-nothing so hopefully I'm wrong.
Yes ultimately there will have to be negotiation between the house and senate of course. Still a ways to go.

Someone posted this on the y sub forum.

This bill will eventually pass but will not take effect until 2021. I am wondering if I should put a reservation now and push it back until January delivery? Being that this will be a point of sale rebate it is possible prices will go up once again.
you mean 2022. I think it’s up in the air whether it will be retroactive at this point.

There’s a cap on sedan prices of $55k in the house version.

Can you clarify? Particularly,

• I read that this bill is retroactive from January 1st, 2021. So it seems logical to me, to wait to take delivery until after Jan 1.”

Maybe the “2021” is a typo, but there is also a mention of “retroactive” which again implies “2021”. And yet you want to delay your order until 2022?
Yeah meant to say Jan 1, 2022. So I wondering it makes sense to somehow delay it to January 1, 2022 and even if the car is delivered after that it’ll be retroactive from then. Just not sure if I should take delivery this year or not.

OK, I see! It would definitely make sense once you know the what the bill is for sure. Post #252 is linking to an article which appears to be saying the $7500 will probably be retroactive to May 24, 2021. If that’s true then delaying your order might not be optimal...then again there still might be another $2500 to be gained by delaying until 2022…

OK, I see! It would definitely make sense once you know the what the bill is for sure. Post #252 is linking to an article which appears to be saying the $7500 will probably be retroactive to May 24, 2021. If that’s true then delaying your order might not be optimal...then again there still might be another $2500 to be gained by delaying until 2022
I’m thinking he must have pulled that from the senate bill. As far as I can tell, there’s nothing definitive now and we will just have to wait until a final bill is agreed upon. So I’m okay with them pushing my EDD back.