Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll - Are you waiting for the infrastructure bill before ordering?

For those in the market for a tesla - what of the below options do you belong to?

• I can wait - and I am going to wait until at least august (when they hope bill will pass)

Votes: 65 19.8%
  • I can wait - and I am going to wait until at the bill passes (August 2024.....)

Votes: 35 10.7%
  • I can wait - and am ordering now and accepting deliverh ASAP

Votes: 49 14.9%
  • I cannot wait - and am ordering now and accepting delivery ASAP

Votes: 92 28.0%
  • I cannot wait - but I am going to milk my current situation to maybe get until august

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • Undecided and will make a rash decision as I have ADHD

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • I would pay 2X MSRP for a tesla because I make bank, therefore accepting delivery ASAP

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • I currently have a Tesla and will trade in for a different vehicle when incentives pass

Votes: 21 6.4%
  • I currently have a Tesla and am trading in before incentives pass

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • I am going to keep my current Tesla for at least 2+ years and incentives will not change that

Votes: 24 7.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love for some retroactivity, but I doubt that will happen. The idea behind the credit is to incentivize new buyers, so why give a carrot to people who proved they don't need it?
100% agree. I would think the impetus would have to originate with a manufacturer with good lobbyists. I wonder if it would be less administratively burdensome to simply remove the vehicles sold cap on the current EV tax credit... which currently hurst GM and Tesla than create a new "go" date. I think it's just wishful thinking though. Nonetheless, someone was lobbying for the retroactive date in the Senate version....so there's still some hope.

Will be interesting if they don’t put in any retroactive portion back in as Tesla will also still be pushing to deliver as many Q4 2021 cars as possible. I , along with a non-trivial number of others, will absolutely push back delivery into 2022 even if it means I need to wait a couple more months. Seems like something will need to give or Tesla will be losing out on a lot of #s at the end of their financial year end.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 393B8BB9-5F67-4079-99D3-199B9CAC252D.jpeg
    393B8BB9-5F67-4079-99D3-199B9CAC252D.jpeg
    329.4 KB · Views: 112
This is why these incentives don't really work. (Esp as Tesla is inventory limited not demand). Tax payers filling up companies and the rich pockets

Exactly. Sure you get an incentive but these manufacturers just adjust to make more profit, especially if this is going to be a POS incentive. For the most part Tesla is upfront, I can only imagine all the gouging that will be going on at dealerships for legacy manufacturers: "Sure it has a markup, but you're getting a nice chunk of change from the government" while they markup the car $15k..smh

Seems the 2021 purchase will also qualify the tax credit if it passes, any reason to hold the delivery until 2022? Do I miss anything?
The House version did away with the retroactive portion, so unless they add it back in during reconciliation, it will only apply to cars purchased/delivered on or after January 1, 2022. It all honestly seems like it will end up being a moot point as the chances of the bill passing seem to go down daily.

Reactions: TheOtherPete
The House version did away with the retroactive portion, so unless they add it back in during reconciliation, it will only apply to cars purchased/delivered on or after January 1, 2022. It all honestly seems like it will end up being a moot point as the chances of the bill passing seem to go down daily.
I'd argue there's a good chance of the bill passing, the one topic they haven't been ripping apart has been the EV portion.

I feel like without the retroactive portion it will cause a huge fit from Tesla since it will help tank the end of the quarter sales while everyone waits for 2022. If the Bolt ever gets off it's stop sale GM will likely be complaining as well, especially since the tax credit is a much larger percentage of the Bolt price.

Reactions: RapidRick
Tesla has 6-10 month backorders- they'll still have no issue selling every car they produce this quarter even without the incentive... (esp if they're warning folks prices are going up after Jan 1 anyway)

Hell, Hertz is waiting on 100k Model 3s, I'm sure they'd be happy to move to the front of the line if everyone else buying SRs wants to wait till January....and S, X, and 3P aren't eligible for the new incentives anyway due to price cap.

Plus the large # of cars sold outside the US which also aren't impacted by this.

Reactions: 907XCP
SA = sales associate I assume? Where do you get a person to talk to? I placed my order online and never got contacted by anyone specific. If I wanted to talk to someone, my only option would be to call the delivery center where I plan on picking it up.

SA = sales associate I assume? Where do you get a person to talk to? I placed my order online and never got contacted by anyone specific. If I wanted to talk to someone, my only option would be to call the delivery center where I plan on picking it up.

Get on the chat and tell them you want to order a Tesla but aren’t really sure. Once the chat is done you’ll get a text from an SA asking if you are still interested. Send then your RN and they will become your contact.

Yeah I am reading the same thing, would only be for purchases on 1/01/22 and after.

Get on the chat and tell them you want to order a Tesla but aren’t really sure. Once the chat is done you’ll get a text from an SA asking if you are still interested. Send then your RN and they will become your contact.
Good idea if you’re lucky. I received an initial text after ordering. Unfortunately they have yet to respond to multiple replies. Oh well, I’m not one that needs a lot of attention but this is an area of “low hanging fruit” when it comes to improved service.