Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] As a prospective Tesla owner, I worry about ...

Select all concerns you have regarding purchasing a Tesla

• Potential for quick obsolescence due to innovation

Votes: 66 32.5%
  • Lack of local service center presence

Votes: 41 20.2%
  • Possibility of long delays for any repairs

Votes: 104 51.2%
  • Supercharger availability and/or range anxiety

Votes: 24 11.8%
  • Depreciation

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • Vehicle size

Votes: 20 9.9%
  • Fear that I won't like it as much as my current vehicle

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • Annual maintenance costs

Votes: 24 11.8%
  • Repair costs

Votes: 72 35.5%
  • Reliability

Votes: 72 35.5%
  • The long-term stability of Tesla

Votes: 41 20.2%
  • Other

Votes: 21 10.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's none of those for me. It's being able to handle the initial costs of ownership. The loan, the installation of the new 40a circuit at my house, additional insurance, new child car seats, etc. I'm not swimming in money, so this is taking some serious juggling to make happen.

It's not about the Tesla. It's about buying the most expensive vehicle I've ever bought.

It's none of those for me. It's being able to handle the initial costs of ownership. The loan, the installation of the new 40a circuit at my house, additional insurance, new child car seats, etc. I'm not swimming in money, so this is taking some serious juggling to make happen.

It's not about the Tesla. It's about buying the most expensive vehicle I've ever bought.
I did consider that as an option and left it out. I guess I'm more after your longer-term concerns with this particular choice, as opposed to choosing to spend X on a vehicle (any vehicle), if that makes sense.

I'm with @Snerruc. The worst thing about being a (prospective or current) Tesla or EV owner is the effort involved with keeping the discussion honest. Most people want to have an honest discussion, but there's always a small and vocal minority that have no interest in that. It's tiresome, but worth it.
Are you saying I am not trying to have an honest conversation, because I forgot a poll option?

I tried to think of everything, and it did not even occur to me that anyone would answer "NONE" - because about 80% of those have concerned me at one point or another. I can't imagine having zero concerns. But that's where writing polls is harder than it looks... the need to step outside your own head to come up with possible answers others would have.

One of my worries is the paint. I don't see it listed so I'll select other and provide a reply here. It might sound like a nit pick but I've read about Tesla's paint to the point I'm concerned it'll chip/scratch/show circles too easily. I even have a 2 hour drive to the pick up location and I fear getting home and already having rock chips and what not.

FWIW, I plan to get black, I actually like the black and while I like some of the other colors as well, I don't like them enough to spend for them. I could be swayed though, as I keep the door open by saying I'm 98% sure I'm getting black. :)

Oh, and another worry I have is my car being paparazzi'd in parking lots by adoring fans!!! Get away from my car you!!!

• Informative
Reactions: Lunarx and Snerruc
I'm mostly concerned about maintenance costs/reliability/the cost of repairs in the context of Tesla's current attitude towards DIY service on their vehicles. If the 3 is more reliable than my Prii, it's not an issue because if it ain't broke don't fix it.

If the 3 isn't more reliable, Tesla doesn't offer any owner facing repair help unless they're legally required to do so, and provides no tools for maintenance/service that I know of. My hope is that Tesla will bring the availability of their service material and tools in line with what other large manufacturers provide, but I'm not counting on it either. :(

Having been on the receiving end of a multi-month repair, for a very minor accident, I can say that's been the only downside of my car.
I believe Tesla are working very actively on fixing that problem, but I hope never to need to find out how much better they are now.

Reactions: gambit48
I'm mostly concerned about maintenance costs/reliability/the cost of repairs in the context of Tesla's current attitude towards DIY service on their vehicles. If the 3 is more reliable than my Prii, it's not an issue because if it ain't broke don't fix it.

If the 3 isn't more reliable, Tesla doesn't offer any owner facing repair help unless they're legally required to do so, and provides no tools for maintenance/service that I know of. My hope is that Tesla will bring the availability of their service material and tools in line with what other large manufacturers provide, but I'm not counting on it either. :(

^This

I am fortunate since I live in the epicenter of the TESLA universe (California) so I voted NONE OF THE ABOVE. Everything here is very convenient for us and my local Service Center gets 5 stars on Yelp. I guess that if I had to vote for something, it would be, WILL I LIVE LONG ENOUGH TO GET MINE.
m1816.gif

Last edited: