Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] As a prospective Tesla owner, I worry about ...

Select all concerns you have regarding purchasing a Tesla

• Potential for quick obsolescence due to innovation

Votes: 66 32.5%
  • Lack of local service center presence

Votes: 41 20.2%
  • Possibility of long delays for any repairs

Votes: 104 51.2%
  • Supercharger availability and/or range anxiety

Votes: 24 11.8%
  • Depreciation

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • Vehicle size

Votes: 20 9.9%
  • Fear that I won't like it as much as my current vehicle

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • Annual maintenance costs

Votes: 24 11.8%
  • Repair costs

Votes: 72 35.5%
  • Reliability

Votes: 72 35.5%
  • The long-term stability of Tesla

Votes: 41 20.2%
  • Other

Votes: 21 10.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's called "Tesla Time". You'll get used to it. I still have that happen - coming out of a store to see a bunch of people circled around my car and wonder what's wrong. Then I realize what I drive, and smile.

I'm used to that sort of thing for a different reason. I once rented storefront housing as an apartment. I'm also by nature a practical joker. So I put all of my exotic plants in the window (with a curtain behind them), had a professionally printed sign, and put up my computer playing a powerpoint presentation on loop in the window. The sign roughly translated as "Mobile Carnivorous Plants Inc."; underneath it was a picture of a tentacle grabbing a rabbit, with the text, "You have a problem with pests? We have a silent neurotoxic solution!" The video "ad" on the computer discussed our "technology", with lots of reassurances like "Genetic engineering is a safe process" and "All reasonable precautions are taken", mixed in with the occasional statement like "We have no particular reason to believe that the plants will pursue children." There were also random signs to "employees", pointing away from the glass, but which could (on purpose) be read through it, such as "All Employees Must Wash Hands After Handling Virus Samples. If You Cause An Outbreak, You Pay To Clean It Up!" and "ATTN: Who has been putting GM plants in the display window? The display window is for UNMODIFIED plants; GM plants go in the electric pen ONLY."

It's fun to arrive home and have to wait for the confused people whose shopping trip just turned surreal to move away from your front door. ;) When I ultimately moved out, I posted a sign in the window warning people of the escapes and advised them to ring a (nonexistent) phone number if they saw unnatural movement in the scrubland, and to walk away at a steady pace but "NOT RUN".

Sorry for the brief off topic ;)

I'm used to that sort of thing for a different reason. I once rented storefront housing as an apartment. I'm also by nature a practical joker. So I put all of my exotic plants in the window (with a curtain behind them), had a professionally printed sign, and put up my computer playing a powerpoint presentation on loop in the window. The sign roughly translated as "Mobile Carnivorous Plants Inc."; underneath it was a picture of a tentacle grabbing a rabbit, with the text, "You have a problem with pests? We have a silent neurotoxic solution!" The video "ad" on the computer discussed our "technology", with lots of reassurances like "Genetic engineering is a safe process" and "All reasonable precautions are taken", mixed in with the occasional statement like "We have no particular reason to believe that the plants will pursue children." There were also random signs to "employees", pointing away from the glass, but which could (on purpose) be read through it, such as "All Employees Must Wash Hands After Handling Virus Samples. If You Cause An Outbreak, You Pay To Clean It Up!" and "ATTN: Who has been putting GM plants in the display window? The display window is for UNMODIFIED plants; GM plants go in the electric pen ONLY."

It's fun to arrive home and have to wait for the confused people whose shopping trip just turned surreal to move away from your front door. ;) When I ultimately moved out, I posted a sign in the window warning people of the escapes and advised them to ring a (nonexistent) phone number if they saw unnatural movement in the scrubland, and to walk away at a steady pace but "NOT RUN".

Sorry for the brief off topic ;)

Not all heroes wear capes.

I have a service center nearby and don't expect to use superchargers much. Delays for repairs and cost? It took four weeks and three trips to get a door release and cable replaced in our Kia. Only $239 and most of that was parts. Replacing the electric door locking system in the driver's door for my 2004 van was over a grand and there is only one place in the that works on MB Sprinters.

The only thing I worry about is whether I will be able to get the rebate or not. Without the full rebate, I will not buy but will wait several years down the line for used ones instead.

Edit:
I forgot to mention, I am a current owner so obviously I can get it before the rebates run out, but my first one will be purchased for my father, so the second one (non-LR) for myself is cutting it close at a May-Jul 2018 timeframe. So I will have to see when the time comes for my 2nd purchase on whether I will actually buy it or not.

I'm mostly concerned about maintenance costs/reliability/the cost of repairs in the context of Tesla's current attitude towards DIY service on their vehicles. If the 3 is more reliable than my Prii, it's not an issue because if it ain't broke don't fix it.

If the 3 isn't more reliable, Tesla doesn't offer any owner facing repair help unless they're legally required to do so, and provides no tools for maintenance/service that I know of. My hope is that Tesla will bring the availability of their service material and tools in line with what other large manufacturers provide, but I'm not counting on it either. :(

These would be my main concerns too - reliability and repair costs. Maintenance costs we can probably peg a little lower than those for the S and X so it's not a big deal for many of us because we would be saving a lot more on not having to spend on gasoline.

To be fair, Tesla doesn't require any maintenance to be performed on the vehicle in its first four years. Not sure it's a great idea though. I, for one, will be getting the ESA, once people on TMC are able to go through the details and determine whether it is consumer-centric and not Tesla-centric.

As for DIY, Tesla could probably open it up if it has any safeguards to monitor and record unauthorized access of critical components. Hopefully, those safeguards will not have false positives (we didn't do anything but records show we did).

There are some DIYers that shouldn't even be DIYing their vehicles (especially critical and proprietary components) while during the warranty period because they are still in warranty anyway. :) DIY makes a whole lot of sense once warranty is over and potential repair bills from Tesla can cost as an arm and a leg.

If you are talking about a Prius, I highly doubt the 3 will be more reliable. Maybe equal to but definitely won't surpass Toyota quality for the time being.

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
That an ICE manufacturer will come out with a really well usable lvl3+ AP system for my daily commute while Tesla still only has Elon`s promises to show for which would force me to get another ICE over an EV. Imho anythying below level 3 is completely useless since I can`t take my eyes off the streets or my hands of the steering wheel for more than a few seconds....

and Tesla specific: Reliability, Obsolescence and Tesla`s overall stability.

A top concern of mine is obsolescence due to innovation. I think we are in a transition phase of vehicle ownership. People have already compared Teslas to iPhones and we all know smartphones become obsolete in a year, if not sooner, and can run the latest software for about five years. Elon Musk has already said there will be major revisions every 12-18 months.
Leasing and car-sharing of Teslas (and other high-tech vehicles) could become more mainstream before private ownership of vehicles becomes obsolete altogether due to general availability of on-demand autonomous vehicles.

A M3 made 18 months from now will have better hardware (sensors, computers), maybe even a more efficient battery and drivetrain, and certainly new convenience features absent from first production. I think many will upgrade at that point and length of modern car ownership will decrease over time. This would also make modern high-tech cars depreciate quicker, as mass production of technologically advanced vehicles picks up.

I will be weighing my options again in a couple of years.

Of all automakers though, I would pick Tesla over any other to keep supporting older models with software updates.

Elon Musk on Twitter

I wonder what the poll would look like if it were divided between current Tesla owners, and non-owners. I would imagine that for current owners, worries about charging/repairs/range/service would be less. As an owner, my only *real* worry from the list above is size. I hope the back seat is roomy enough for two adults to sit comfortably on long trips. Having been a Tesla owner for almost five years now, I am quite convinced that their service is consistently way above that of any car dealership I've ever experienced. I don't see that changing.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61