TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

[Poll] AWD/P-AWD reservers and changing to RWD because of range

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by quantumslip, Jul 17, 2018.

?

After learning about the efficiency of AWD/P-AWD, will you change your reservation?

1. Currently AWD/P-AWD, will stick with AWD/P-AWD

184 vote(s)
    88.5%
  2. Was AWD/P-AWD, changed to RWD

24 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. quantumslip

quantumslip Member

I think this would be a good / interesting poll. Wanted to see where people were at. Keeping the poll simple.

Personally I am still sticking with my AWD reservation but I am having some second thoughts...

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  2. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

I'm slightly disappointed that the range appears to be less but in the end I'm getting AWD for snowy weather conditions and it still has plenty of range for me. I know if I decided to go for RWD after a few months range wouldn't be an issue but I would regret not having AWD during the winter.

• Like x 2
  3. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Member

I didn't buy the P3D for efficiency, and it's still being advertised as having 310 miles of range.

• Like x 9
  4. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

I'm staying with Dual Motor. 310 miles is still listed as the overall range.

Besides the MS/MX, most AWD cars get lower range than their 2WD counterparts. Nature of the beast if you want added traction from a more complicated/heavier system.

5. FourOhFour

FourOhFour HTTP Error

Staying with dual motor. All cars have the same range when stuck: zero.

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 3
  6. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

The thought has definitely crossed my mind. Standing put for now, though. 310mi nominal is good enough (although for long trips the 330mi+ would have been awesome).

7. FlyNavy01

FlyNavy01 Member

The Performance Model 3 will literally be 600% more efficient than my current "sports car" while still having ~60% more power.

Why are people complaining that they'll need to spend an extra 5 minutes at the supercharger the few times a year they drive 300+ miles in a single sitting? It's a non-issue.

• Like x 7
    • Funny x 1
  8. ord3r

ord3r Member

I changed, but really it was more about wanting autopilot over AWD. The range issue got me thinking about it though. I currently drive an AWD WRX, its nice, but ultimately for 1k more I'd rather have autopilot and RWD.

Definitely will miss the power, but I feel like I should probably be slowing down anyway....

• Like x 1
  9. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

On that budget constraint forcing between those two I'd make the same choice in a heartbeat.

• Like x 1
  10. ord3r

ord3r Member

Seems like Tesla would prefer that choice as well, 1k more cash to them and 1 less motor to me :)

• Like x 2
  11. Nuclear Fusion

Poorly subdivided poll options.
    Should distinguish between performance & standard AWD

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  12. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

Yeah. D -> LR is very plausible. I can’t really envision a priority structure & prior expectations that gets someone P -> LR?

13. BlueM3AWD

BlueM3AWD Member

I've switched from LR w/ EAP to D. Also in the same boat as ord3r. Living in California I don't have a need for the D but the thought of quicker acceleration and the fact that I go snowboarding 8 times a season is a factor. My commute to work isn't that long to justify EAP..

• Like x 2
  14. quantumslip

quantumslip Member

I thought about that, but I wanted to focus primarily on the conversion to RWD and not so much where they were coming from. Feel free to create your own poll if you want to.

• Disagree x 1
  15. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

Highway range difference between the LR and D will be minor, way less than the EPA values suggest.
    Enjoy your poll ;-)

• Like x 5
  16. kengchang

kengchang Member

So looking forward to use EAP all the way to Mammoth!

17. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

I plan to do AWD with the short range battery. The range isn't an issue for me.

18. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Active Member

Considering how a few years ago everybody was hoping for a 200 mile range, I'm good with 310. Started out non-P Dual Motor...sticking with it.

Dan

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  19. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

What did I miss re: range? Should I RTFM? ;)

20. jdmasters

jdmasters Member

If I had gone AWD, I would be considering dropping back to RWD.I went unpackaged performance and sticking with it. My lead foot will probably do more efficiency damage (with any option) than those calculated numbers.