Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] Best combo? Chrome/Blackout/Aero/De-aero (with photos)

Best combo? Chrome/Blackout/Aero/De-aero

• Aero and standard chrome accents

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • Aero and de-chromed windows/handles

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • De-aero'd with chrome accents

Votes: 20 20.8%
  • De-aero'd with de-chromed windows/handles

Votes: 42 43.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All but ONE of these photos are photoshopped. I'm still trying to figure out what color/rim combination. I'm leaning towards blue (hence that's what I used for this poll). I'm particularly confused because of the chrome accents around the windows and door handles may or may not compliment the de-aero'd wheels and not enough photos of this vehicle exist yet! I was wondering if de-chroming (also known as black-out) those accents would look good with the aero or de-aero'd 18" wheels. Generally the blackout look usually looks sporty to me and the chrome look usually looks classy/expensive to me. Since I really want 18" wheels for ride compliance, I'm sort of stuck with midnight grey wheels to work with. Anyway, attached are 4 images of a blue M3 with 18" wheels:
  1. Original image = Aero and standard chrome accents
  2. Aero and de-chromed windows/handles
  3. De-aero'd with chrome accents
  4. De-aero'd with de-chromed windows/handles
De-chroming is something that I would do later, but I have to choose my wheels correctly during order (as well as paint color), so that's why I'm doing this now. By the way, I understand this is subjective and we won't all agree, but I'm curious what others think!

1. Original image = Aero and standard chrome accents
Blue M3 aero and std chrome.jpg

2. Aero and de-chromed windows/handles
Blue M3 aero and blackout.jpg

3. De-aero'd with chrome accents
Blue M3 de-aero and std chrome.jpg

4. De-aero'd with de-chromed windows/handles
Blue M3 de-aero and blackout.jpg

For all the fuss about taking the covers off, I don't think it looks any better than with the Aero covers on. To really change the look to be more 'chromey' you would need to go with the 19" designs
I agree that the best choice if you're leaving the chrome would likely be a bright wheel like the 19". My issue is I want more sidewall, so I'm evaluating what those options are.

Although I was resistant at first, I think I'm settling into the Aero wheels. The other combinations just don't look right to me. And, thanks for picking my blue color... makes it very relatable. And as an aerodynamicist who will be traveling long highway miles, I just won't be leaving the covers off very long, if at all.

I am mostly sure I am choosing the silver color because it will blend in better with the chrome and headlights (and the de-aeroed wheels as well as aftermarket alloy wheels). I love the white color, but don't want the wheels and chrome to stand out too much and don't want to de-chrome everything.