Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] CA Current owners ONLY. Have you received your config invite yet?

As a current Tesla owner, Have you received your configuration email yet?

• Yes

Votes: 198 65.3%
  • No

Votes: 105 34.7%

• Total voters

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA
I wonder if maybe the 4 weeks is because they have not yet ramped up, and later invites, once things get going, might not take as long to deliver.

Are they maybe prioritizing people who are closer to the factory? That might put some day-two people ahead of some day-one people if the latter are farther away even within California? It's hard to believe they're just drawing names out of a hat. It certainly would be nice if there was more transparency to the process.

I live close to the factory, reserved on day one and have been an S owner for years. No invite yet. Just saying :)

gregincal

Oct 26, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
I wonder if maybe the 4 weeks is because they have not yet ramped up, and later invites, once things get going, might not take as long to deliver.

Are they maybe prioritizing people who are closer to the factory? That might put some day-two people ahead of some day-one people if the latter are farther away even within California? It's hard to believe they're just drawing names out of a hat. It certainly would be nice if there was more transparency to the process.

The guy above who got the strange invite is in LA. I figured the second invite to somebody with one Tesla was probably just an easy mistake, but I’ve no explanation for a day 2 reserver getting his invite.

run-the-joules

Aug 13, 2017
SF Bay
The guy above who got the strange invite is in LA. I figured the second invite to somebody with one Tesla was probably just an easy mistake, but I’ve no explanation for a day 2 reserver getting his invite.
Also at least one confirmed case of someone who doesn’t even own an S or X anymore getting an invite.

Jason S

Model S Sig Perf (P85)
Apr 20, 2012
Rocklin, CA
Got my config email today. I'm a new owner (less than 3 months, CPO) and placed my order Day Two, so a little surprised my number was called so soon. Configurator says First production models ready for delivery in 4 weeks, Base is early 18, and Dual Motor is spring 18.
Sounds like a screw-up in your favor -- you likely got the reservation for whomever previously owned your car. Certainly an anomaly.

Jason S

Model S Sig Perf (P85)
Apr 20, 2012
Rocklin, CA
Config Email received today. Los Angeles, 2013 ModelS, Day 1 evening online reservation. 4 week delivery
Ok, now that's just f'd up. I reserved before you, have 2012 Model S, and live closer. >.< (grats btw, not blaming you!)

I think I should be getting invite a little after gg_got_a_tesla gets an invite, if it is going in reservation order and nearness to the factory.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor

David99

Jan 31, 2014
Brea, Orange County
I'm an owner of an S. No invite yet, but I only did my reservation at the reveal event, so way later then the majority. I'm not in a rush. My S runs fine, I actually don't want an early model.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
Got my config email today. I'm a new owner (less than 3 months, CPO) and placed my order Day Two, so a little surprised my number was called so soon. Configurator says First production models ready for delivery in 4 weeks, Base is early 18, and Dual Motor is spring 18.

So your AWD date of Spring 18 is considerably less time than our August/October time frame. We're Calif, current owners (since March) so the difference factor has to be the time you placed your order (as it should be IMO). But the Spring 18 date is interesting all the same.

Lifeinabox

Aug 1, 2017
Los Angeles
So your AWD date of Spring 18 is considerably less time than our August/October time frame. We're Calif, current owners (since March) so the difference factor has to be the time you placed your order (as it should be IMO). But the Spring 18 date is interesting all the same.
What's interesting is that the Spring 18 estimate is from the order page under the defer option. When I go back to the delivery estimator, it shows Aug/Oct like yours.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset

Mika

Sep 27, 2012
Marin County
I've had a model S for five years, reserved day 1 in the afternoon once the line had cleared, sometime around 3-4pm. Bay Area. Still nothing. Now I'm hearing that someone in LA ordered online hours after me is now apparently ahead of me? Pretty annoying, but I'm sure I'll be in the next wave or two.

Something I noticed today: I worried maybe my invite could end up in my spam folder so I checked my account at tesla.com, and noticed my "manage" button next to my model 3 reservation turned from red to grey? Anyone else seen this, or am I crazy?

suresv

Sep 12, 2013
Bay Area, California
I've had a model S for five years, reserved day 1 in the afternoon once the line had cleared, sometime around 3-4pm. Bay Area. Still nothing. Now I'm hearing that someone in LA ordered online hours after me is now apparently ahead of me? Pretty annoying, but I'm sure I'll be in the next wave or two.

Something I noticed today: I worried maybe my invite could end up in my spam folder so I checked my account at tesla.com, and noticed my "manage" button next to my model 3 reservation turned from red to grey? Anyone else seen this, or am I crazy?
Mine is gray too - Very similar profile to yours. In fact live1.5 miles from the factory. But online reservation!! Not sure you can read much into all this

Evthusiast

Nov 3, 2017
California
When did you receive the invite?

RT
10:17 am today 12/08/17. Also I know someone else in LA same age model S that got email today. Not sure it has to do with delivery center in Marina Del Rey as the other invite was to a person very far away from Marina Del Rey, but Los Angeles area. We both have early model S. Theirs 2012, mine Feb2013 model S

Reactions: Rusty1

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
I was literally one of the first to reserve online....found the 3.tesla.com/store/reserve url before it went live. Was hoping to get mine....but I didn't!!!!!

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC