Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] CA Current owners ONLY. Have you received your config invite yet?

As a current Tesla owner, Have you received your configuration email yet?

• Yes

Votes: 198 65.3%
  • No

Votes: 105 34.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PLEASE only answer the poll if you are a current/past Tesla owner

Also, if you answer "No", please come back to this poll and change your answer once you receive your config invite.

Hopefully we'll start to see this poll approach 100% quickly!

Last edited by a moderator:
PLEASE only answer the poll if you are:
  1. California resident
  2. Current/Past Tesla owner
Also, if you answer "No", please come back to this poll and change your answer once you receive your config invite.

Hopefully we'll start to see this poll approach 100% quickly!

You should have added an option for "I'm not an owner" for those that MUST participate in every poll they find even if it doesn't apply to them. I find such results to be more accurate when searching for targeted data such as this.

You should have added an option for "I'm not an owner" for those that MUST participate in every poll they find even if it doesn't apply to them. I find such results to be more accurate when searching for targeted data such as this.
I really thought about that (and even other answers for other states). Ultimately, I decided to keep it simple and use the capability of the poll to show %

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
No config e-mail yet. I reserved online as soon as the link to Tesla opened up (time = ????). My current thinking is that if I can't get delivery before the end of the year, I will probably delay a few weeks until I can get a 2018 VIN.

What does getting a 2018 VIN do? Is there even such a thing?

Let's say that I don't get the invite-to-configure until mid-December. With an assumed delivery time of four weeks, I wouldn't get the car until mid-January. That has the potential of missing out on the tax credit if the law changes. Tesla apparently changes over to 2018 VINs about the last week of December. If I were to configure late in December or early in January, I would get a car that is technically one year newer. That might be worth something a few years down the road.

@insaneoctane good poll. I suspect this will be interesting data... I will certainly come back and revise response when I am invited.

For those invited, I'm curious about one thing: what (if any) choices are you given regarding deferring your invite? If you don't configure now, are you welcome back any time in future to configure or do you have to wait for another invite? Any indication of when that invite might come or how you might tell Tesla you are now ready for it? My first (of 2) 3s will replace an eGolf with lease ending 5/18. If I get invite with likely delivery by end of 17 (ergo tax credit), I will probably configure my 3 and deal with the penalties of early lease termination on eGolf. If '17 delivery is iffy, then I may wait a bit in hopes of some more options by May (e.g., white interior). But, boy will it be difficult to watch those 3s... not mine :(... driving around!

Let's say that I don't get the invite-to-configure until mid-December. With an assumed delivery time of four weeks, I wouldn't get the car until mid-January. That has the potential of missing out on the tax credit if the law changes. Tesla apparently changes over to 2018 VINs about the last week of December. If I were to configure late in December or early in January, I would get a car that is technically one year newer. That might be worth something a few years down the road.

Experience shows not really. Tesla doesn't even show the year on their used cars. Tesla's are grouped by feature set (eg. AP1 or pre-facelift).

• Disagree
Reactions: FlatSix911
Experience shows not really. Tesla doesn't even show the year on their used cars. Tesla's are grouped by feature set (eg. AP1 or pre-facelift).
I beg to differ. Even the Tesla CPO site lists by production year. The tradition is so imbued in the used car market, one maker can’t change it.

Thanks for the backup tomas. I took delivery of my S70D on December 23rd 2015 as a 2015 model. If I had known then what I think I know now, I would have waited a month or so for a 2016 model year VIN.

I beg to differ. Even the Tesla CPO site lists by production year. The tradition is so imbued in the used car market, one maker can’t change it.

Um, where? This is what Tesla's CPO listings look like:

tesla-cpo-high-mileage-1.png

On the individual listings it shows. I typically look in the EV-cpo site, which is an extract from Tesla site and includes year of manufacture. And, while I have not looked recently, about a year ago I was considering getting a second S via cpo and there appeared to be a distinct price step by year. Although I will agree it is not as big a step as a new configuration (eg battery size increase or AP generation).

I applaud Tesla for making refinements when they can vs in annual increments. But, until many others do it, the over simplification of Model year will continue to be a significant factor in used car market. Say, what do you think I can get for my December 2012 P85 vs a March 2013 which is identical?