Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Charging with your own Solar Power ?

Do you charge your Tesla(s) on renewable energy ?

• I live in an apartment, and cannot chose the source

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LST

Supporting Member
Jun 8, 2009
Switzerland
How are you charging your Model S or Roadster ? I would like to know how many owners are effectively running their Teslas C02 free.

1- I have my own solar array, it produces xy % of the needed kWh/y
2- i don't have solar, but buy electricity, which comes from 100% renewable sources (solar, hydro, wind, others)
3- i live in an condo and can't chose
4- i buy the cheapest available electricity, no matter where it comes from

I'll make a start:
1: Solar on house and garage, 20kWp, annual production ~*18'000kWh, it is enough for the Model S, the Roadster and the house consumption, the rest is sold to the grid @ CHF 0.42/kWh

If you install just the solar panels and, say, you choose the individual controllers, one per panel, then you have a bare-bones solar system without 1. the expense of battery storage or 2. the added complexity of connecting to the grid (royal PIA). Using this basic setup you should be able to charge a Tesla since the car can accept a whole range of voltages and currents. More sun = faster charging; less sun = slower charging. Dump any excess into a H2O heater when necessary.

Yet solar contractors/suppliers cannot wrap their heads around this scheme. At least last year the ones I called could not. And if you cannot order out of a catalog, ie get a package deal from a big solar supplier (a DIY kit), then you are relegated to the high cost realm where we understandably dare to tread. At least at under 11 cents per kwh 24/7 I'm not motivated. I hope someone gets a simple 'Tesla-only' solar package together.
--