TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Poll: Charging with your own Solar Power ?

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by LST, Sep 27, 2013.

?

Do you charge your Tesla(s) on renewable energy ?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2013.
  1. Own solar array on house or garage (100%+)

44.7%
  2. Own solar array on house or garage (+-100%)

31.6%
  3. Own solar array on house or garage (-100%)

10.5%
  4. I buy electricity from renewable production

5.3%
  5. I live in an apartment, and cannot chose the source

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I buy the cheapest electricity awaylable, no matter where it comes from

7.9%
  1. LST

LST Senior Member

How are you charging your Model S or Roadster ? I would like to know how many owners are effectively running their Teslas C02 free.

1- I have my own solar array, it produces xy % of the needed kWh/y
    2- i don't have solar, but buy electricity, which comes from 100% renewable sources (solar, hydro, wind, others)
    3- i live in an condo and can't chose
    4- i buy the cheapest available electricity, no matter where it comes from

I'll make a start:
    1: Solar on house and garage, 20kWp, annual production ~*18'000kWh, it is enough for the Model S, the Roadster and the house consumption, the rest is sold to the grid @ CHF 0.42/kWh

2. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

If you install just the solar panels and, say, you choose the individual controllers, one per panel, then you have a bare-bones solar system without 1. the expense of battery storage or 2. the added complexity of connecting to the grid (royal PIA). Using this basic setup you should be able to charge a Tesla since the car can accept a whole range of voltages and currents. More sun = faster charging; less sun = slower charging. Dump any excess into a H2O heater when necessary.

Yet solar contractors/suppliers cannot wrap their heads around this scheme. At least last year the ones I called could not. And if you cannot order out of a catalog, ie get a package deal from a big solar supplier (a DIY kit), then you are relegated to the high cost realm where we understandably dare to tread. At least at under 11 cents per kwh 24/7 I'm not motivated. I hope someone gets a simple 'Tesla-only' solar package together.
    --

3. TylerCA

TylerCA Member

26000kWh annual production.

4. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

None of those options apply. My roof faces the wrong way, and I have only one option for buying electricity.

6. fischca

fischca Member

~9000 kWh annual production from my 8.1 kWp array. Here is not so much sun like in california :-(

7. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

For the time being I still have not a Tesla Model S and a Solar Power System so I didn't vote to this poll but IMO first option would be the best of course.

8. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

22000 kWh annual: