Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Current P85D owners: Will you be going from Insane to Ludicrous?

Current P85D owners: Will you be going from Insane to Ludicrous?

• Yes, will be upgrading to Ludicrous ASAP

Votes: 91 61.1%
  • Nah, plenty happy with Insane. No fuse upgrade for me.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • On the fence. Will wing it for the next 6 months.

Votes: 39 26.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$5000+labor to drop a 3.1s car to 2.8s, without affecting the manufacturer warranty? Hells yeah!!!

WELL SAID!

- - - Updated - - -

I am certain that the Tesla employee you spoke to is incorrect about that pricing.
Currently for new orders the 90kWh battery is an additional $3K and adding Ludicrous Mode is an additional $10K. That is for new orders as shown on the Design Studio web page.
The cost to upgrade an existing P85D to a 90 with Ludicrous Mode is obviously going to be more than that because of the additional labor involved and because Tesla will have to take back a used 85 battery.
To the OP: where did this $5K upgrade figure come from?

Directly from the official Tesla Motors BLOG from Elon himself:

This option will cost $10k for new buyers. In appreciation of our existing P85D owners, the pack electronics upgrade needed for Ludicrous Mode will be offered for the next six months at only $5k plus installation labor.
It is important to note that the battery pack size upgrade and the pack electronics upgrade are almost entirely independent. The first is about energy, which affects range, and the second is about power, which affects acceleration.
There is of course only one thing beyond ludicrous, but that speed is reserved for the next generation Roadster in 4 years: maximum plaid.
— Elon

Don't think it's happening but, post-upgrade, I wonder if the UI will have SPORT and LUDICROUS rather than SPORT and INSANE?! :)

That's what the design studio shows

ce15f770b6eaae0fea8dc17d2c8b9261.jpg

WELL SAID!

- - - Updated - - -

Directly from the official Tesla Motors BLOG from Elon himself:

This option will cost $10k for new buyers. In appreciation of our existing P85D owners, the pack electronics upgrade needed for Ludicrous Mode will be offered for the next six months at only $5k plus installation labor.
It is important to note that the battery pack size upgrade and the pack electronics upgrade are almost entirely independent.

"Almost" bring the operative word. It's about peak power output. Given the new pack gets the additional 5 kWh via a change in chemistry and not more cells, it's possible they have the same peak output. But why say "almost"?

I like the new option, but driving is more than straight line acceleration. For $10K I'd rather have a limited slip diff and traction control off setting.

“Insane”. “Ludicrous”. Maybe we should personify the the current cornering mode setting with something more visceral, something adventurous, like “Mundane”.

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone is getting firmer numbers on the ludicrous upgrade, but what I heard today from the Palo Alto service center (while acknowledging that they didn't have very much info yet) was $5k for parts (everyone is in agreement on that) and $5k for labor. Saying it was really a major undertaking to reweld and reconfigure the hardware. That would not make it any better of a deal for existing owners as new owners which would be very disingenuous compared to what Elon said and the blog post.
If this ends up being a $10k upgrade and major rebuilding of the pack electronics this is not sounding like such a good deal for existing P85D owners.
Put my car that is currently in production on the wait list for the upgrade, but this process is not starting things out on the right foot with me.

Not sure if anyone is getting firmer numbers on the ludicrous upgrade, but what I heard today from the Palo Alto service center (while acknowledging that they didn't have very much info yet) was $5k for parts (everyone is in agreement on that) and $5k for labor. Saying it was really a major undertaking to reweld and reconfigure the hardware. That would not make it any better of a deal for existing owners as new owners which would be very disingenuous compared to what Elon said and the blog post.
If this ends up being a $10k upgrade and major rebuilding of the pack electronics this is not sounding like such a good deal for existing P85D owners.
Put my car that is currently in production on the wait list for the upgrade, but this process is not starting things out on the right foot with me.

They don't know yet so let's not jump the gun. If it were true, it would be 33 hours of labor to replace stuff we know from past posts only takes a few hours. Elon was very clear that they were making this available to existing P85D owners at a discount. Listen to the conference call. He makes it sound like the main portion of this is the $5K hardware plus a nominal labor charge that could vary by location.

Are the pack electronics actually in the battery pack or outside the pack? I'm assuming it's outside the pack in which case I could understand it being a major undertaking to retrofit, but even at $150 or $175 per hour I can't imagine it costing $5000 worth of hours. With the said, this is one of the really rare opportunities where Tesla is offering retrofit for existing cars. An opportunity not to be passed up even at $10k.

I don't understand : "according to a report from AutoMobileMag, current Tesla Model S P85D owners might want to wait a while before upgrading because the company is still planning on releasing another upgrade by 2016 which will increase the acceleration rate and power by another 5 percent."

Do you think it is better to wait few months and see if there is an other "big update" ? it would be nice to go just one time into the service center...

I don't understand : "according to a report from AutoMobileMag, current Tesla Model S P85D owners might want to wait a while before upgrading because the company is still planning on releasing another upgrade by 2016 which will increase the acceleration rate and power by another 5 percent."
It seems clear to me that AutoMobileMag just makes stuff up. Don't take that assertion seriously.