Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll]- Cybertruck costs 39k to 69k will kill other Tesla EV?

[Poll]- Cybertruck costs 39k to 69k will kill other Tesla EV sales?

• Strongly agree - Cybertruck is great value for the size and range. No one will buy Model 3,Y,S,X

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Agree - Cybertruck will slow down other Tesla sales

Votes: 13 9.5%
  • Not sure how the market will react

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • Only time will tell

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Disagree

Votes: 30 21.9%
  • Strongly disagree - Tesla 3/Y/S/X sales will not be affected at all

Votes: 65 47.4%
  • None of the above

Votes: 6 4.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ggnykk

Feb 7, 2016
Earth
With Cybertruck only costing $39k (250 miles), 49k (300 miles) and 69k (500 miles), will it kill sales of Model 3,Y,S and X? as well as all other EV? Who will buy Model Y now coz you can buy the much bigger truck for the same price?

I think the $69k 500 miles Cybertruck is the only EV in the world that offer 2nd longest range of any EV (only next gen roadster has longer range), while offering very low price at $69k. Very attractive combination.

02_Desktop.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: RobRain
it could be that in a few years every EV will have a 300 to 500 mile range (the battery packs might be HUGE) or they could just have a ridiculously more efficient battery system (new chemistry?) than we have on the market today.

Compare the first generation leaf vs the current model S...

The first Leaf was EPA-rated at 74 miles of range from a 24kwh pack
the current Model S has a 370+ mile range, from a roughly 100kwh pack.

I wanted a SUV for my wife and preordered the cyber truck over the Y. I have a 3. Seats 6 and is bullet proof? Lots of utility too! Plus i'll probably not wash it as much or worry about sledgehammers hitting me.
I honestly don't know who is going to buy the Model 3 standard range or Long range now. You can literally pay the same price and get a much bigger Cybertruck. Remember that Cybertruck is MUCH bigger than even the Model X in terms of dimension.

Model 3 and Model Y will be the vast majority of all sales for many years to come
I was thinking about getting the Model Y, but Cybertruck is much MUCH bigger for an even lower price. I think Tesla really screwed up their pricing strategy this time around, Cybertruck's size and pricing basically will kill tons of EV sales from any company, including Tesla other line up.

I honestly don't know who is going to buy the Model 3 standard range or Long range now. You can literally pay the same price and get a much bigger Cybertruck. Remember that Cybertruck is MUCH bigger than even the Model X in terms of dimension.

Size isn’t everything. When my S was totaled I could have bought another S, but I chose a 3 because I wanted a smaller more nimble to drive car. One thing the cyber truck won’t be is nimble or easy to park. In big cities that is critical since parking lots are so small. It probably won’t fit in many garages, which is already an issue with the X.

Model 3 buyers and truck buyers are totally different segments. Can't remember ever hearing someone debating between a Civic and a F150.....

I was thinking about getting the Model Y, but Cybertruck is much MUCH bigger for an even lower price. I think Tesla really screwed up their pricing strategy this time around, Cybertruck's size and pricing basically will kill tons of EV sales from any company, including Tesla other line up.

The only people that's going to be true for are those who are strictly interested in utility. Anyone who cares at all about looks, which is most people, will buy the Model Y.

Only reason I didn't hit "strongly disagree" was the "at all" wording. There will be some impact...some people, most likely potential Model X buyers, may like the form factor of a pickup for a large vehicle rather than the X. But I think that market will be small. This vehicle will attract new buyers to Tesla--my coworker put a deposit down this morning because no other vehicle Tesla built met his needs. This one will.

Reactions: ggnykk
Don't forget that they also promised a Model S at $60k which they never delivered and a Model 3 at $35k which they barely delivered on for like 6 weeks. I wouldn’t get too caught up in the pricing here. This thing is still a couple years out.

There was a $60k Model S 40 for those who wanted a 140 mile range S. It had low demand and was killed off quickly, they sold it as a SW locked 60. And the 35k Model 3 is still available, you just need to call in and order and the SR+ is well equipped under $40k.

Size isn’t everything. When my S was totaled I could have bought another S, but I chose a 3 because I wanted a smaller more nimble to drive car. One thing the cyber truck won’t be is nimble or easy to park. In big cities that is critical since parking lots are so small. It probably won’t fit in many garages, which is already an issue with the X.
That's true, Cybertruck is too big for some cities.
I think the Cybertruck would fit only in America, it is just way too big for European and Asian market.

Reactions: RobRain
The price of the other Tesla models might have to come down.

The pricing of the tri-motor truck at under $70K gives me hope that the tri-motor Model S Performance might be under $100K.
Yup, if Tesla can make the 500 miles tri-motor Cybertruck for $69 with profit margin. They really should cut prices of Model S and X significantly now and sell it for $30k less.
I mean, who is going to buy Model X now while you can get the Cybertruck with much better specs, much bigger dimension for a much lower price??