Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll]- Cybertruck costs 39k to 69k will kill other Tesla EV?

[Poll]- Cybertruck costs 39k to 69k will kill other Tesla EV sales?

• Strongly agree - Cybertruck is great value for the size and range. No one will buy Model 3,Y,S,X

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Agree - Cybertruck will slow down other Tesla sales

Votes: 13 9.5%
  • Not sure how the market will react

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • Only time will tell

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Disagree

Votes: 30 21.9%
  • Strongly disagree - Tesla 3/Y/S/X sales will not be affected at all

Votes: 65 47.4%
  • None of the above

Votes: 6 4.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was a $60k Model S 40 for those who wanted a 140 mile range S. It had low demand and was killed off quickly, they sold it as a SW locked 60. And the 35k Model 3 is still available, you just need to call in and order and the SR+ is well equipped under $40k.
Pretty sure the $35k Model 3 was no longer available since June, not even off-menu ordering.

Yup, if Tesla can make the 500 miles tri-motor Cybertruck for $69 with profit margin. They really should cut prices of Model S and X significantly now and sell it for $30k less.
I mean, who is going to buy Model X now while you can get the Cybertruck with much better specs, much bigger dimension for a much lower price??

I think most women and families will still prefer the X, despite the price being double

Yup, if Tesla can make the 500 miles tri-motor Cybertruck for $69 with profit margin. They really should cut prices of Model S and X significantly now and sell it for $30k less.
I mean, who is going to buy Model X now while you can get the Cybertruck with much better specs, much bigger dimension for a much lower price??
I think the X will continue to have more luxury, be faster with the Plaid powertrain, and in general be Tesla's premium segment SUV.

Nah. I just don't see how the Cybertruck represents internal competition. Sure, maybe a few people will get a Cybertruck instead of one of the other Tesla models, but that won't be a trend. This isn't an Osborne moment. Much more likely is it'll be an additional Tesla in the family garage, and we hope will become the first Tesla for others.

Reactions: destructure00
Pretty sure the $35k Model 3 was no longer available since June, not even off-menu ordering.

Last I heard I think you buy the SR+ and you get a refund to "downgrade." Model 3s S and X can be found with significant discounts if you work with a OA. Got my P100D X for half off original MSRP that way and was sent info this past week about a 9k off Model 3. Either way Tesla has generally honored what they set out to do albeit in limited numbers. The $39k truck is a steal of a bargain, so is the $49 and $69k versions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191119-105706.png
    Screenshot_20191119-105706.png
    438.5 KB · Views: 69
That's true, Cybertruck is too big for some cities.
I think the Cybertruck would fit only in America, it is just way too big for European and Asian market.

Most American trucks are too big for Asia and Europe. The CyberTruck is meant for the Americas markets where pickups are a big deal. Ford sold over 950,000 F-150s last year and they are same size or larger than the CyberTruck. It was the top selling vehicle in the Americas.

Most American trucks are too big for Asia and Europe. The CyberTruck is meant for the Americas markets where pickups are a big deal. Ford sold over 950,000 F-150s last year and they are same size or larger than the CyberTruck. It was the top selling vehicle in the Americas.
I think Tesla should come up with a smaller pick up down the road for Europe and Asia market

I think Tesla should come up with a smaller pick up down the road for Europe and Asia market

Do Europeans even buy pickups now? Most of the time when I see someone in Europe moving something it is in a trailer. And 4 out 5 times the trailer is behind a station wagon. This is something you never see in the Americas where pickups are very common and station wagons very uncommon.

1. It won't kill any S sales. Category is too different.
2. It will kill some X sales (I really wanted an X badly until Thursday night)
3. It's not likely to kill any 3 or Y sales because the size is too different.

Do Europeans even buy pickups now? Most of the time when I see someone in Europe moving something it is in a trailer. And 4 out 5 times the trailer is behind a station wagon. This is something you never see in the Americas where pickups are very common and station wagons very uncommon.
I think you are correct. European market is quite different

1. It won't kill any S sales. Category is too different.
2. It will kill some X sales (I really wanted an X badly until Thursday night)
3. It's not likely to kill any 3 or Y sales because the size is too different.
I know the size and category are all different between Model S,X,3,Y and Cybertruck. But the HUGE problem is the price point, Cybertruck is priced the SAME as Model 3 and Y. And it is significantly cheaper than Model S and X for similar specs. I really don't know why Tesla price the Cybertruck that way.

The stamped steel frame of the truck is why it costs less. It's a fantastic bang for the buck, but lets not get carried away in thinking the rest of Tesla's lineup will magically cost less to produce. They still cost what they have cost. And Tesla could be factoring in future efficiency gains, since its 2-3 years till it becomes available.

Also, truck for 70k with the roadster2's $200k powertrain? damnnnnnn.

Reactions: JG T3SLA
I know the size and category are all different between Model S,X,3,Y and Cybertruck. But the HUGE problem is the price point, Cybertruck is priced the SAME as Model 3 and Y. And it is significantly cheaper than Model S and X for similar specs. I really don't know why Tesla price the Cybertruck that way.
Because they could. The construction appears to be inherently less expensive than the traditional construction. The mission of getting EVs into the hands of as many as possible isn't helped by overpricing the cars.

We have a 2015 Leaf (as well as an S) because Denise didn't want to drive a big car. Many people are like that. The other thing to bear in mind that the Cybertruck will have a load of accessories and add-ons which will increase the the actual price paid. We know of a few: solar roof, camping setup, and ATV. There will likely be others.

I was thinking about getting the Model Y, but Cybertruck is much MUCH bigger for an even lower price. I think Tesla really screwed up their pricing strategy this time around, Cybertruck's size and pricing basically will kill tons of EV sales from any company, including Tesla other line up.

it is better to cannibalize your own sales, then to have them cannibalized by another company. Also consider that all the major car companies have a line of trucks.

Because they could. The construction appears to be inherently less expensive than the traditional construction. The mission of getting EVs into the hands of as many as possible isn't helped by overpricing the cars.

We have a 2015 Leaf (as well as an S) because Denise didn't want to drive a big car. Many people are like that. The other thing to bear in mind that the Cybertruck will have a load of accessories and add-ons which will increase the the actual price paid. We know of a few: solar roof, camping setup, and ATV. There will likely be others.
Despite the saving from more simple structural design, you have to remember that the Cybertruck is much MUCH bigger than even the Model X. I really doubt that the metal frame/chassis in Cybertruck is cheaper than Model S or X in terms of the overall structrual/metal frame/chassis cost.

I think the biggest component of the cost is the battery pack rather than the construction of the frame, this is pretty much EV industry well known fact. The battery pack in the Cybertruck must be huge, easily 150 to 200 kwh, much much bigger than anything in Model 3,Y,S,X, which logically means that the battery costs in Cybertruck should be much higher. That's unless Tesla has some secret low-cost battery tech that they haven't announced yet.

Once again, if Tesla can sell the Cybertruck with much bigger battery (biggest cost component of an EV) and also in a much bigger frame for $39k with profit margin. There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that Model 3 or Y or S or X should be selling at the current price point, all the prices need to drop.

it is better to cannibalize your own sales, then to have them cannibalized by another company. Also consider that all the major car companies have a line of trucks.
Probably a really silly thing to do by Tesla. They could have sell the Cybertruck at $10k more for each trim level. And the first wave of adopter will still buy it without any problem, these group of people are not price sensitive, they just want the latest and greatest and coolest.
And once Tesla exhausted all the first-adopter sales, then they can slowly drop the price down to the attract the mass market buyers.

Last edited:
With Cybertruck only costing $39k (250 miles), 49k (300 miles) and 69k (500 miles), will it kill sales of Model 3,Y,S and X? as well as all other EV? Who will buy Model Y now coz you can buy the much bigger truck for the same price?

I think the $69k 500 miles Cybertruck is the only EV in the world that offer 2nd longest range of any EV (only next gen roadster has longer range), while offering very low price at $69k. Very attractive combination.

But by this logic, everyone would but a Ford F-150 instead of all those SUVs. Which of course they dont, because a lot of people want a car or SUV but not a truck.

When the dust settles, the mix of Tesla models sold will pretty much align with the mix of comparable ICE cars. Lots of model 3/Y (probably shifting to Y when it comes out), far fewer model S/X, and a medium number of trucks. In the US that is, which has gone SUV crazy; elsewhere the mix will probably bias more toward sedans. Just my guess; time will tell of course.

The Cybertruck is already a PR phenomenon and will continue to generate a ton of free PR and interest not just in the truck but in Tesla the company, including in parts of the US where so far Tesla doesn't have much of a foothold.

I think it's much more likely that Cybertruck will increase sales of other Teslas than decrease them.