Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Delivery Delays Due to QA/C Failures

Did you accept a Model 3 that immediately required repair resulting in delayed delivery?

• Yes

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • No

Votes: 22 75.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just releasing a feeler to see how isolated my case is in the TMC community. I've been waiting for over 2 weeks now after VIN acceptance (big mistake?) of a Model 3 with cosmetic issues (a paint chip below the windshield, more than a handful of hairline scratches than should be visible on a new vehicle and a misaligned passenger door panel, as well as some detaching weather stripping; the gaps were not perfect either but good enough overall). I just hope everything is mechanically okay because there's been no way to evaluate it situated 2 hours from the center. With all this body upheaval, who's to say how this will impact the vehicle going forward. How many are in a similar situation?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Thread title updated to reflect that this is, in fact, a poll. Also saw another unlucky fellow in delivery subforum who's undergoing similar in LA as of today (it helps to know I'm not alone). As of this coming Thursday, the wait for me will have reached 4 weeks.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Thread title updated to reflect that this is, in fact, a poll. Also saw another unlucky fellow in delivery subforum who's undergoing similar in LA as of today (it helps to know I'm not alone). As of this coming Thursday, the wait for me will have reached 4 weeks.

That would be me. Sorry to hear about your issues with the car vinnie97. So your telling me that they had your m3 inspected and set up for delivery and it passes they're QA and when you went to pick it up that it had all these problems that they didn't notice?

At least you got to see your, they didn't even let me see my car and straight out told me it will be ready in 2 weeks. On top of it, I find out my delivery was delayed by calling them to see about having the m3 pre charged up for my trip this weekend and they called the wrong number and left a voicemail to some stranger.

I'm assuming that Tesla doesn't have to disclose major bodywork repairs that were required after it came out of the factory before it was delivery to the client?

Reactions: vinnie97
I took delivery last Monday even though the first thing I spotted on the walk around was a paint imperfection which they tried to clean up but ultimately the clear and base coats were broken. They said I could either refuse delivery now, or take it with me and schedule a drop off in a few weeks. Seemed like an easy decision to me so I took the car with the dealer documenting the damage and will soon be scheduling a followup for drop off. My friend took his new MS in for over spray and they took 6 weeks to get back to him. Gave him a loaner S, which is also what I'm expecting.

• Informative
Reactions: vinnie97
That would be me. Sorry to hear about your issues with the car vinnie97. So your telling me that they had your m3 inspected and set up for delivery and it passes they're QA and when you went to pick it up that it had all these problems that they didn't notice?
They did notice the paint chip and were kind enough to call me the morning of delivery. The other concerns were more subtle, I suppose.
At least you got to see your, they didn't even let me see my car and straight out told me it will be ready in 2 weeks. On top of it, I find out my delivery was delayed by calling them to see about having the m3 pre charged up for my trip this weekend and they called the wrong number and left a voicemail to some stranger.
Doh! I was told 2 weeks but don't hold fast to any estimate they give you. With contracted work, they are at the whim of said contractors.
I'm assuming that Tesla doesn't have to disclose major bodywork repairs that were required after it came out of the factory before it was delivery to the client?
I would assume not.

Gave him a loaner S, which is also what I'm expecting.
You should be nice and ask them to confirm that you'll get an S or X loaner when you bring it in. I agree, I'd want one too, but at many places, they don't have enough S/X loaners, and sometimes give you a BMW or Lexus. So doesn't hurt to ask them to verify up front that you'll be able to get one. Bonus: probably free supercharging, so a completely 0-cost loaner.

Reactions: chasemym3
You should be nice and ask them to confirm that you'll get an S or X loaner when you bring it in. I agree, I'd want one too, but at many places, they don't have enough S/X loaners, and sometimes give you a BMW or Lexus. So doesn't hurt to ask them to verify up front that you'll be able to get one. Bonus: probably free supercharging, so a completely 0-cost loaner.

Haha I didn't think to ask. My buddy got a P85+ while his P75D was getting serviced, thinking I'll probably get something similar. Even if it's a BMW or Lexus, I don't mind; just hope I didn't forget how to drive an ICE car. :)

Reactions: ℬête Noire
So, I'm trying to be patient but everyone eventually hits their limit. On both of my last phone calls to the service center (after selecting the service extension, you are transferred to what comes across as a call center since the info they have about your vehicle is nonexistent to rudimentary at best) requesting status updates, I was told to expect a phone call followup from the service technician. They are no doubt busy because that has yet to happen now at almost 4 weeks without the vehicle. I guess the saving grace is I can probe my car like a voyeur to see its location and how many of its entry points are opened. o_O

Much to my pleasant surprise, they were also replacing the scratched up center console (I didn't expect that to be replaced, only mentioning it in passing). Apparently, during the process of replacement, however, a vent was damaged, so as of yesterday, they were waiting on an overnight shipment replacement. I'm too fatigued by this ordeal (and health in general) to look closely at the cosmetic work that was done. I was really hoping to get the vehicle to the next location for partial paint protection after 4+ weeks (likely 4-1/2 weeks), which would entail another 2-1/2 weeks of waiting at which point I might finally be able to take actual ownership (if I still possess breath).

I accepted mine with several paint defect April 11th, but i should not have. Not only did i find defect on every panel when i went over if after i got home, but autopilot and cruise control never worked after 400 miles.

I have had a loaner now for over a month, car is stripped down and at the body shop and is getting sanded down and ready for whole car repaint. Who knows if it will go back together without rattles and random pry marks on the plastics from panel popper tools.

Also not sure why the service center never cleans the interior of the fleet or wash the car down when its returned. I have gone thru 3 loaners and have washed and clean the interior of all of them , they were filthy

^That's a fright especially since I was planning to drop it off for paint protection right after pickup next week. ;)

As for my situation, one reason I was failing to get updates is because they were sending texts to a number that I don't monitor (a family member who doesn't even use texting), and with no formal way to change said contact number through my Tesla profile, I was apparently missing out on valuable status updates (this was after verbally providing the correct number on repeat occasions). The latest update I received Friday was that vent installation was successful, but they happened to notice in passing that the frunk gaps were not symmetrical so they'd be sending the car back to the body shop for a 3rd time. I nearly fainted but received a followup text that they fortunately had successfully made the adjustment themselves. All that's left is detailing, so I guess that makes me due for a Tuesday pickup now, nearly 5 weeks after "delivery."

That’s good news , I have out more miles on the loaners than I have on my Model 3 , on the bright side , Free supercharging has been nice.

Read a thread that some superchargers are free, something about destination superchargers vs regular superchargers , but might be that the system hasn’t full caught up yet is my guess why some model 3 owners are getting free supercharging at some random locations

We'll see. I dropped off the receipts. I'm not holding my breath at this point, as my whole experience is soured and the virgin drive of the 3 today was pretty anticlimactic (only for about 15 minutes since I subsequently dropped it off for a partial Xpel film application). Dashboard scratches and remaining paint blemishes on the passenger door coupled with a 5-week wait have me wanting to put this chapter behind me. The small *sugar* can drain your psyche, but the money spent for this vehicle is in part what makes it difficult to get past it.

Reactions: C141medic
I accepted mine with several paint defect April 11th, but i should not have. Not only did i find defect on every panel when i went over if after i got home, but autopilot and cruise control never worked after 400 miles.

I have had a loaner now for over a month, car is stripped down and at the body shop and is getting sanded down and ready for whole car repaint. Who knows if it will go back together without rattles and random pry marks on the plastics from panel popper tools.

Also not sure why the service center never cleans the interior of the fleet or wash the car down when its returned. I have gone thru 3 loaners and have washed and clean the interior of all of them , they were filthy
So I only noticed the 2 blemishes on the paint job, but the Xpel applier apparently saw much more in the way of dirt on both the passenger door and fender. I don't see how having them do it a third time will make an iota of difference. I hope you have better luck, but I think I'm done worrying about aesthetics. If I wasn't 2 hours away from the service center, I might be more up for challenging them on this, but I'm drained after 5 weeks. I'll just use the money to pay off debts instead of fretting over the superficial.

Yeah deminishing returns on your time at this point, hopefully what is left is not very noticeable and maybe in a few weeks when the paint has cured you can polish what ever is left thats not covered by the xpel,

I saw my car on friday and it was completely sanded down and ready to paint. Fingers crossed that it come out good enough, but i have talked to the owner of the shop a few times to make sure he understands i want it flawless.

Interesting thing i saw was some of the blemishes are down to the metal and not just in the clear like i had initially thought