Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Delivery Delays Due to QA/C Failures

Did you accept a Model 3 that immediately required repair resulting in delayed delivery?

• Yes

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • No

Votes: 22 75.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I accepted mine with several paint defect April 11th, but i should not have. Not only did i find defect on every panel when i went over if after i got home, but autopilot and cruise control never worked after 400 miles.

I have had a loaner now for over a month, car is stripped down and at the body shop and is getting sanded down and ready for whole car repaint. Who knows if it will go back together without rattles and random pry marks on the plastics from panel popper tools.

Also not sure why the service center never cleans the interior of the fleet or wash the car down when its returned. I have gone thru 3 loaners and have washed and clean the interior of all of them , they were filthy

Having a brand new car "sanded down and re-done" is absolutely ridiculous. You should have demanded a new car, no local body shop can match what is done with original paint application at the factory.

I once ordered a BMW E46 that had the paint on the hood melted during detailing by some idiot detailer who grabbed a bottle of brake fluid instead of polish.

I was going to reject the car but the girl I was dating at the time insisted I take delivery of it since the dealer was going to "get it professionally redone" by their own in-house auto body shop and they were going to discount the car by another $4,000 (about 15% of MSRP way back then).

I should have gone with my gut. The paint job that they did kept failing... it would look nice for six months then start peeling or flaking. It was re-painted twice in the 3 years that I owned it, each time I was without it for over a week. Ultimately I just dumped it and bought a different car.

1. Delivery pushed out 4 days due to white bumper mismatch and repaint.
  2. Driver's side rear door striker needs adjustment. Door protrudes a couple mm from rear quarter panel.
  3. Passenger's side frunk is a couple mm too low pretty much the whole length of the frunk. Assume hinge needs adjustment.
  4. Glovebox light inoperable.
  5. Parking sensors work but do not chime. Verified settings and rebooted multiple times.
2-5 will be addressed when mobile service calls me (hopefully) this week.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
^Did you ever receive yours? My own update is that I'm now at over 8 weeks of waiting, for currently the third attempt at Exoticar (in Las Vegas, first two attempts having been done by Service King) to be completed on the frunk, front bumper, and passenger door. A single-use door bracket is the current holdup and has held up the process by nearly a week (body shop had to request part shipment). I've read a few horror stories where folks went without a car for up to 9 months or more. It feels like I'm headed in that direction and for the most irksome of reasons (paint chip that could have been avoided with better transport protection). The bright side is I likely won't prematurely reach the end of my warranty due to excess mileage. Not sure I'll ever consider another Tesla after this experience.

• Informative
I did get the car back last week, but when I got it there was damage from adjusting the driver front door fender gap, so dropped it back off today and back in another model S loaner. The driver fender gap is not fixable and I would advise everyone to not bother messing with it. If the A pillar is flush with the fender , then it won’t be with the door, if the fender is flush with the door , then it won’t be with the A pillar, so it is one or the other, but at the risk of damaging the paint , I would advise to leave it alone

• Informative
Ugh, I'm sorry to hear you keep sufferings setbacks. It appears Exoticar is a much better outfit in terms of painting quality (and they have the Tesla plaques to prove it; Elon is unnecessarily bleeding cash by continually having Service King repeatedly do second-rate work). I actually drove out to take a look at it yesterday, and in the limited lighting where I saw it, it looked impressive. The only caveat that remains is how closely the repainted areas match surrounding factory work. The work had just been completed either Monday or Tuesday, so I'm keeping my hopes up.

Congrats, as long as finish is good I say take delivery, the rest can be address and is minor.

If you have major paint issue definitely refuse delivery, and get another build , they gave me that option but told me I would be at the back of the line since I already took delivery of the defective model 3, hows that for customer service , we build you a high spec model 3 with defects and if you don’t want it , we can build you another in 18 months , thanks for dropping the ball Tesla