Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] Do you care about Telsa's headliner material change?

How do you feel about the changed headliner (+more?) from ultra-suede/Alcantara to "premium" cloth?

• Very upset! I want what was originally expected

Votes: 103 23.8%
  • Unhappy, but the premium textile is acceptable

Votes: 72 16.7%
  • Happy, I prefer the new premium textile

Votes: 28 6.5%
  • Couldn't care less

Votes: 229 53.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Squeaky wheel gets the oil!
And 25% of unhappy people makes for a very loud squeaky wheel minority. Tesla may not have a choice but to do something...
And a few months from now, when they announce the AWD version, maybe at the same time as other upgrades, maybe it will come back. Who knows. And I ain't care...
The car is more important to me than its headliner.

Squeaky wheel gets the oil!
And 25% of unhappy people makes for a very loud squeaky wheel minority. Tesla may not have a choice but to do something...
And a few months from now, when they announce the AWD version, maybe at the same time as other upgrades, maybe it will come back. Who knows. And I ain't care...
The car is more important to me than its headliner.
That's assuming that this poll is representative of reservation holders.

- I've heard more than one report from people that stood in line to see the 3 saying that folks either didn't know anything about it or had heard and didn't know anything about the two different materials - they had no idea what was in the 3 for the first production run.

- A lot of people here on the forum have been negatively influenced by the drumbeat going on by a vocal upset group. That one bothers me, tbh. I hate to see these folks feel they've lost something just because others got them spun up.

- And of course we've already seen people come on the forum saying they'd seen the new headliner and it was nice. (And also some who still didn't like it.)
I suspect that Tesla will take care of the people who are really upset, IF they have already ordered. That would be fair. I wonder what percentage of the 25% have actually placed an order. And I wonder what percentage of the people really upset haven't yet placed their order & will cancel over this. I'd wager very very few.

That's assuming that this poll is representative of reservation holders.

- I've heard more than one report from people that stood in line to see the 3 saying that folks either didn't know anything about it or had heard and didn't know anything about the two different materials - they had no idea what was in the 3 for the first production run.

- A lot of people here on the forum have been negatively influenced by the drumbeat going on by a vocal upset group. That one bothers me, tbh. I hate to see these folks feel they've lost something just because others got them spun up.

- And of course we've already seen people come on the forum saying they'd seen the new headliner and it was nice. (And also some who still didn't like it.)
I suspect that Tesla will take care of the people who are really upset, IF they have already ordered. That would be fair. I wonder what percentage of the 25% have actually placed an order. And I wonder what percentage of the people really upset haven't yet placed their order & will cancel over this. I'd wager very very few.
Thanks for saying what I've been thinking, but with eloquence!

Reactions: bonnie
i don't care for Alcantara (got it on my keyboard). Can i get a cash settlement if it shows up in my m3 when delivered?

FWIW i prefer NOT to have a powered trunk lid, self presenting door handles, auto headlight dimming, auto wipers and a lot of other silly things folks here have their panties in a knot about. KISS.

• Funny
Reactions: Dr. J and daniel
Bottom line is I really don't care....BUT...When I made my reservation the material being displayed was Alcantara. Many, if not all, employee Model 3's have Alcantara as part of the premium upgrade package. So how is it that now, what appears to be the higher quality of material is being replaced with cloth. Premium cloth at that??? What is premium cloth anyway??

...FWIW i prefer NOT to have a powered trunk lid, self presenting door handles, auto headlight dimming, auto wipers and a lot of other silly things folks here have their panties in a knot about. KISS.
I would have said much the same before I got my car. Now that I have had it for a couple of years I've come to really like the powered liftback, the auto wipers and the auto-on headlights (I've never even had to bother to learn how to turn them on or off) — I don't have auto dimming so I can't speak to that.

I don't much care for the self-presenting door handles and turned that off shortly after I got the car. I do think that the fancy S door handles are too apt to break and too expensive to fix. I also worry about the silly folding mirrors but haven't had a bit of trouble with them (unlike some others here).

But, then, I was quite content with crank windows on previous cars so if you really want to KISS, there is that... ;)

I've been surprised at the hysteria over what type of cloth roof material will be used. Both are cloth, they just have different names. If the layout is similar to the Mx with the huge front glass, then those in the front seat will not even be able to see the roof liner without turning around backwards.

There may be real issues that come to light with M3, though I hope not. IMO, this is an overblown reaction to something that has little practical difference and is purely subjective as to whether you prefer one type of cloth to another. I'm guessing Tesla is befuddled how something so minor has caused a firestorm reaction, when they are focusing on issues of substance like how to improve the manufacturing process to make the deadlines they keep promising, then moving back.

• Love
Reactions: daniel
The change does bother me. I've been in a Model S with the textile liner (mind you this is the one from 2013) and in an S with the Alcantara liner. It's no contest that the Alcantara is better for me. When I saw that the 3 was shipping with Alcantara I was surprised and happy. Now I'm just hoping they have a choice when the AWD / White Interior comes out. Luckily I'm holding my 3 reservation until then so I have time for them to come up with something. If they don't I'll make my decision when the time comes as to whether to move forward with a Model 3 or holding off and upgrading to a Model X a little further down the line.