Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Do you carry a spare tire in your Model S?

Do you carry a spare tire of any sort in your Model S?

• No

Votes: 174 87.0%
  • Yes, one of those small, short-use, emergency tires; plus jack, tools

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Yes, a full-size inflated tire on a wheel; w/ jack, tools; store tire in frunk

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • Yes, a full-size inflated tire on a wheel; w/ jack, tools; store tire in back of car

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Yes, some other solution (descirbe in a reply below)

Votes: 13 6.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This so called SLIME that people speak of. Is it special? Seems like I've come across posts on this site that say it has to be brand X or provided by Tesla, etc? Any truth to the matter? Also, if you use this slime, is the tire basically ruined and to be replaced? Or can be left as is and/or patched. I've heard the slime type sealants cause the tire to become out of balance and make unsightly sounds, etc.

they do not supply a tire for swapping, they would take you to a tire shop, but more than likely the proper tire will not be in stock
I just had a flat two days ago. This is in the SF Bay Area, so your mileage may vary.

I pulled off the highway and parked somewhere safe as soon as I could (on a side note, my MS handled really well considering the tire was completely flat and it was the driver's side front). I called Tesla Road Service, they validated where I was and said they would look to see if they had a loaner tire available. She called about a few minutes later saying a truck was on it's way with a loaner and they would call me just before they arrived (about an hour, he needed to get from Fremont to Santa Clara at rush hour).

Got a call 30 minutes later from the truck driver quickly followed by Tesla Service (who said the next call would be from the local Tesla Service Center). 5 or 10 minutes later I was on my way with the loaner mounted; the truck driver took the flat wheel to the Sunnyvale service center. Got a call about 45 minute later from the truck driver telling me he dropped of the wheel. All in all amazing service.

I called the Sunnyvale Service Center the next afternoon when I had not heard from them. They told me that the tire was fixable and they would take to be patched if it was their tire (she recommended America's Tire). Headed to America's Tire in Mountain View where they patched the tire and mounted it free of charge.

All in all more annoying then anything (nail from the highway) that didn't cost me anything but my time. My tire was 19" so it might be harder to get 21" loaners.

By the way I saw on the "Like Tesla" youtube videos the X had a flat tire and while changing it the mechanic shows a picture of inside of tire which has a foam insert wrapped thru the tire. Because of this he said a plug would not work. Now wondering if the S has these same tires or is it just an X. It is for making the road noise quieter.
As I just posted, America's Tire in Mountain View, CA patched my new 19" GoodYear (the one with the foam).

All in all more annoying then anything (nail from the highway) that didn't cost me anything but my time. My tire was 19" so it might be harder to get 21" loaners.

I ripped open two 21" sidewalls last weekend . Since I was just running errands, my spares were in my garage a few miles away. I expected a tow home and a swap-a-roo from roadside as well as a few hours wasted. Instead roadside informed me that the SC was just a mile away and within 20 minutes I was on the road again with two matching replacement wheels. I like having Tesla on my side, and I like being freakin' lucky when I catch an unlucky break.

That's because most BMW 3/4 series have run flats, or at least my last 4 did... :oops:
Run flats are no help if it's a sidewall. Also in my area no one will plug a runflat and the tire is only availabli from BMW. Besides that they ride rougher than a cob. I looked up the site for the spare. It's one for a x5 and available from bimmerzone.com for $336.

Last edited:
I carry a TM tire inflator kit, plug kit, scissor jack and wheel chocks. Had to use the plug kit once. Never have been stranded.

I thought long and hard about putting a spare in my non-D frunk. Never got around to it. But I have good roads for the most part and am obsessed about missing the few potholes that we have.

Fingers crossed.

I have had 3 different flats in my model S. I carry a full size spare in the frunk. I have 21" wheels and I doubt tire shops in small towns would have a replacement. It could be a long wait in a small town for a replacement. I do not carry tools or a jack.

I ripped open two 21" sidewalls last weekend . Since I was just running errands, my spares were in my garage a few miles away. I expected a tow home and a swap-a-roo from roadside as well as a few hours wasted. Instead roadside informed me that the SC was just a mile away and within 20 minutes I was on the road again with two matching replacement wheels. I like having Tesla on my side, and I like being freakin' lucky when I catch an unlucky break.
I just had a flat two days ago. This is in the SF Bay Area, so your mileage may vary...
This is the difference for me: the nearest Service Centers are 336 miles — and a lot of mountains — away, or 378 miles away. No way am I going to get your level of service if I call the Tesla line. I accept this and plan to take care of simple problems like flat tires myself.

I voted no, but I've seriously considered getting a compact spare. Some time ago someone had identified a spare that would work -- I think it was from a BMW. But for now I've just got the Tesla tire inflation thingy, and I might just live with that.

I looked at used BMW X5 rims but my experience in the past with bent rims pushed me to buy a new Tesla rim. Used rims are a bargain for a reason and it takes a lot of extra expense to discover a wheel that does not run true.

My plan is to buy three more rims when we get winter tires so the first rim is justified.

A full sized spare is also important on a long trip so that a quick repair can keep the journey on schedule. Buying tires with strange sizes in small towns is not a good contingency plan. Even run flats as used on our BMW only provide a limited range to reach a place where a new tire can be installed. They aren't practical when traversing Newfoundland. The only positive thing about them is that if they are plugged and not driven while flat they are still a run flat tire with thick side wall to support the car.

Our neighbour also has a model S and when they planned their first road trip I lent them my spare tire and CHAdeMo adapter. These extra optional components are shareable and build friendships and community. A spare tire may have a cost but sharing it is priceless.

This is the difference for me: the nearest Service Centers are 336 miles — and a lot of mountains — away, or 378 miles away. No way am I going to get your level of service if I call the Tesla line. I accept this and plan to take care of simple problems like flat tires myself.

To be honest DRP, I'd rather be self sufficient like you. I was lucky, no doubt about it. And I do have a 4 wheel set of mounted spares that I keep in the garage. When I travel beyond 50 miles, one travels with me......which wouldn't have helped me last week with two blows anyway. As I said, I was luck-y. And you have a good plan. I should learn to change a tire.

I'd carry a spare on out-of-town "road trips"... IF there was space in the frunk for a spare. Since that's not an option I:

1. carry a professional tire Safety Seal plug kit and a ViAir 400P portable 12V high flow air compressor. These plugs and air compressor have been priceless repairing nail and screw punctures in the tread (won't help with sidewall damage). We've used these for 20 years on road trips, and they were PRICELESS on our purpose built off road Jeeps since changing a 35" tire is a BIG job because the tire & wheel are HEAVY... and you have to lift the frame up SUPER high or use a TALL bottle jack under the axle to get the tire off the ground to change it. Plugging and re-inflating is MUCH faster and easier.

2. have "Tire Certificates" from America's Tire on all our tires from the day we picked up our Tesla. AmTire will sell you certificates for OEM tires within their wear limits and will replace any non-repairable tire. We've already had two 21" Conti ContactSport Silent tires replaced without mileage proration with their Tire Certificates in 15,000 miles of SoCal driving which paid for all 4 tire certificates AND saved us the cost of the 2nd tire. We've ALWAYS come out way ahead with our Jeeps and Corvette Z06 too since they had expensive tires. Probably not worth it on inexpensive tires like our Prius has.

3. have AAA Plus roadside assistance which provides 100 miles of free towing in any direction from the disablement. Saved us hundred$ in towing charges when our Jeep broke down in Panamint Valley (next to Death Valley) almost 100 miles from the nearest town with a Jeep dealership (Ridgecrest). I'll definitely contact Tesla's roadside first... but if we're in "the boonies" AAA is great to have.

thinking about getting a full sized spare (19" stock - double spoke) - looking on craigslist, most are selling all 4 tires and don't want to split up the set. would it be a bad idea to buy a set and try to sell the other 3 to like minded folks or will it be difficult to sell?