Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Do you carry a spare tire in your Model S?

Do you carry a spare tire of any sort in your Model S?

• No

Votes: 174 87.0%
  • Yes, one of those small, short-use, emergency tires; plus jack, tools

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Yes, a full-size inflated tire on a wheel; w/ jack, tools; store tire in frunk

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • Yes, a full-size inflated tire on a wheel; w/ jack, tools; store tire in back of car

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Yes, some other solution (descirbe in a reply below)

Votes: 13 6.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tinm

2020 Model S LR+ Owner
May 3, 2015
New Mexico, USA
It's been four years since Tesla began shipping the Model S. I've owned mine for three years. I've done many long-distance drives, and am nearing the end of my car's warranty period (time to buy an ESA).

The one thing I have never done is carry a spare tire in the car. I live in New Mexico, where there are no service stations. If I get stuck somewhere, heaven forbid, I'm in deep sh**. Especially up in the mountains somewhere. No Ranger is going to come for me. It can take weeks to get a Ranger to come to NM for service. They're extremely booked.

I've contemplated buying a fifth tire, mounted on a Tesla wheel (used, prolly) and keeping in frunk, perhaps a bit deflated so it fits more. I am curious where owners stand in Aug 2016 in terms of the spare tire question. Hence, this poll, and hopefully a productive discussion afterwards.

I don't think Tesla sends Rangers to swap tires. They have a contract with an emergency roadside service (similar to AAA). When your warranty expires I'd suggest getting AAA service on your own. I know there's a mileage limit for be free service from Tesla but it's not going to happen very often so it's not a big deal. I have never carried a spare in my car.

I carry a spare and tools when I venture very far from home. Not for local trips.

Note that I carry the spare in the trunk. Not in the frunk. A friend at Tesla advised against keeping it in the frunk as that would make the crumple zone in the front much less effective in the event of a crash and could even push the tire into the passenger compartment.

I'm out of warranty. I have a used tire without wheel in frunk and AAA . If I get a flat I'll be calling AAA and towing to nearest tire shop for them to put on the tire on the wheel. If I ever end up in that situation I'll probably get a tire and wheel next time around to avoid the hassle.

I have a full 4 tire/wheel set in my garage. If I have a local problem, they can tow me home and change it on the spot. When traveling distance > 50 miles, I throw one in the trunk. I also keep a can of that compressed air goop for good measure.

Ironically, my last flat(s) were replaced with wheels brought to me in about 20 minutes. So despite being a few miles away from home, no tow was needed. It was an optimal arrangement, but not sure how reliable it is.

• Disagree
Reactions: RobW2428
I think I should at least have a can of goop, 12V air compressor, and plugging kit. I'm not comfortable doing the next 50K miles without anything in the car. Pushing my luck, etc.

Thanks everyone who's participated in the poll so far. Educational.

What the hell you doing hanging around BFE anyway?

I know - shame on me. My list of BFEness was long and desolate this past trip (CA - AZ -UT - CO -WY - SD - ME - SC - MO - MT/WY - ID/OR/NV - CA), and the next one promises to be at least as BFEified.

Fortunately, the slow leak didn't get bad until an unexpected 25 miles of dirt road in VT, and I was able to utilize an America's/Discount Tire in NC for the repair a couple of days thereafter. The Michelins held up well (55,000 miles, and I could have pushed it to 58,000 - 60,000 before getting to 2/32" all around); I have my doubts about the Goodyears, but we'll see.

A benefit of carrying a spare and tools is that you can help a stranded Tesla owner get to safety. I always try a can of compressed sealant first to make it home or to offer help but on a long trip where schedule is important the spare is in the trunk.

The risk goes up as the tread gets thinner, in my experience. New tires for a long road trip are always a good mitigation plan.

I know - shame on me. My list of BFEness was long and desolate this past trip (CA - AZ -UT - CO -WY - SD - ME - SC - MO - MT/WY - ID/OR/NV - CA), and the next one promises to be at least as BFEified.

Fortunately, the slow leak didn't get bad until an unexpected 25 miles of dirt road in VT, and I was able to utilize an America's/Discount Tire in NC for the repair a couple of days thereafter. The Michelins held up well (55,000 miles, and I could have pushed it to 58,000 - 60,000 before getting to 2/32" all around); I have my doubts about the Goodyears, but we'll see.
How many miles are on your car? You obviously drive a lot and your posts have considerable road experience/knowledge to go with it.

How many miles are on your car? You obviously drive a lot and your posts have considerable road experience/knowledge to go with it.

You're very kind. It's been a fun ride so far. Pushing 56,000 miles now (back home reloading after the last meandering, which was 12,000 miles over 4 weeks) and now very much going through the DTs (lack of distance tremors :)). Should be on the road next week for another soirée into September. Looks like CA - OR - and maybe up to BC again before heading east to pick up a couple of states I missed the first couple of times through. The thing I love about BC is you can transit the province fully east to west and back again, getting fairly far north as well, all via SC. That, and there's some tasty ale in Revelstoke... but I digress.

To date, I've driven about 120,000 EV miles (40,000 on my Roadster, and 80,000 on my Model S), and I have only had to call a tow truck once - for a flat tire! It was a 21" sidewall puncture due to a pothole. In that case, it took more than 3 hours for the truck to arrive, load my car, and drive me the remaining 45 minutes to my home. This situation also encouraged me to make the switch to 19" wheels.

Since I am often several hundred miles from home on business, I've recently made the decision to carry an off-season wheel, tire, jack, compressor and tools when I am travelling. Of course, since I have started this, I've not had the need to use any of these things. I hope that this continues.

dj905

You're very kind. It's been a fun ride so far. Pushing 56,000 miles now (back home reloading after the last meandering, which was 12,000 miles over 4 weeks) and now very much going through the DTs (lack of distance tremors :)). Should be on the road next week for another soirée into September. Looks like CA - OR - and maybe up to BC again before heading east to pick up a couple of states I missed the first couple of times through. The thing I love about BC is you can transit the province fully east to west and back again, getting fairly far north as well, all via SC. That, and there's some tasty ale in Revelstoke... but I digress.
Wow, great adventures......I hope you are documenting the memories, and all the fine ales coast to coast!
Tesla is missing out on some valuable data if they aren't tracking you closely.
Safe driving.

Reactions: TaoJones
I have a full sized tire that I'll carry when on trips where I will be in "remote" areas. the problem is that you could get a flat and that you'll need a replacement tire but that replacement will not always be readily available outside of metropolitan areas.

Once upon a time I had a flat tire in BFE. I used the slime bottle but didn't seal properly so threw on my spare and drove to random tire shop. Shop said they don't repair tires with slime so they sold me a new tire.

Not sure why can't you just clean the slime off and patch the tire? I wish I would have kept the tire but this was around 5 years ago.

Not sure why can't you just clean the slime off and patch the tire? I wish I would have kept the tire but this was around 5 years ago.

Wish I knew as well Doc. But just one flat makes us very vulnerable to believe it all, just to get out of a bad situation........including ridiculous spot pricing. I have 21"s which are a beacon for 'scalper pricing' in a tough-luck situation. It only took once before I sought out a personal spare. Luckily, I found a guy unloading 4 lightly used 21s" w/wheels so I grabbed them. Hopefully I'm covered for awhile.

So annoying to be snookered in times of trouble, but then you read about the better side of humanity like @Don85D above who highlights one benefit of carrying a spare is its use as an assist to fellow Tesla drivers. I am now on your team Don, and doing the same!