Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Do you have an EV and also home solar PV?

Do you own/lease an electric vehicle (including plug-in hybrid) and also have home solar panels?

• Yes

Votes: 83 72.8%
  • No

Votes: 19 16.7%
  • I don't have home solar panels now but I plan to install within the next 1 - 2 years

Votes: 12 10.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 5kw system produced a total of 7,641.3 kWh last year. That's about 23,000 miles in a Tesla. Between our Tesla and BMW i3, we do just about 20K miles total so our (relatively small) system more than covers all of our driving energy. That's quite a compelling proposition for EV owners and one that I think will definitely push more solar as more EVs become adopted. WE got our solar AFTER buying the Tesla and I suspect that's the case with many people.

I lied and said I had panels already but I wont have them until next month. So sue me. Interesting results, wish more people voted. Also, would be interesting to know if the reason people who said no was because they cant put panels on their condo or town home because of the association or they are renting.

This is good to see, although I am polling a group which is far more likely than the typical population to put in solar. My own system (see post here) (10 kw nameplate but actual max output about 8.5 kw) generates more than I need to run the Model S, but it is a conservation thing. In AL, grid-tied solar is actually slightly more expensive than buying electricity, not even including the amortization of the system. This is due to very high interconnect fee (which they call "reserve capacity"). I force Southern Company to pay me this back by owning enough stock in the company that the dividend mostly covers it.

I drive Tesla since November 2012 and currently own 2 of them: a Model S (7/16) and a Model X (3/17). In December 2014 I installed 11.55 kW on my roof which generates 17 MWh annually. My 2 previous monthly bills were zero and my last bill was $7.16 including the power for 2 Teslas. Very happy with my situation in SW Florida. I wonder why I don't see more installations on the roofs. Florida is an ideal state.

Reactions: EinSV
We have a 12 Kw rooftop system installed in November 2013 that puts out about 11,600 Kwh per year. It varies a lot from summer to winter. The peak month output is about 1,800 Kwh and the minimum month is about 200 Kwh. We have propane heat but still use more electricity in the winter than the summer. We are on the PG&E EV-A rate. Our monthly bills have ranged from -$245 in the summer to +$372 in the winter. Purchased the P85D in December of 2014. PG&E bill the year before solar and car was about $3.700 per year and is now about $1,100. PG&E has had several price increases since we installed solar. Using current rates our cost before solar and car would have been $4,300 per year.

We have a 12 kWp PV installation since July 2016 and we produced around 12'000 kWh a year with variations between summer and winter.
Our peak month is around 1'750 kWh and the minimum production around 200 kWh. During the summer days with a daily production of 60-70 kWh, we can power our Tesla with 100% of the sun energy (Home charger: 3 Phases 12 A / 400V Charging plug = 66 km/h).

...It varies a lot from summer to winter. The peak month output is about 1,800 Kwh and the minimum month is about 200 Kwh...
That's way more seasonality than I would have expected, especially in California. With my old panels, 700 W, my worst month was December 2010 with 45 kWh and my best month was May 2012 with 127 kWh, less than a 3X difference. With my current 2170 W array my worst month was January 2017 with 157 kWh and my best month was June 2013 with 356 kWh, about a 2.3X difference. I can, and do, adjust my pitch with the seasons but, even so, I wouldn't expect so much seasonality for fixed pitch panels except very far north. Do you have shading issues?

Last edited: