TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Poll: Do you need charging facilities at the upcoming "Model S Ride Event?"

Discussion in 'Model S' started by smorgasbord, Aug 16, 2011.

?

Do you need charging facilities at the Beta Ride Event?

Poll closed Nov 24, 2011.
  1. No, but I am attending.

77.1%
  2. Yes, Roadster.

20.0%
  3. Yes, J1772 needed.

2.9%
  4. Yes, other connection needed.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

#1 smorgasbord, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
    Do you need charging facilities at the upcoming "Model S Ride Event?"

I was chatting with some Tesla employees this afternoon in Menlo Park, trying to get some advance information on the upcoming Model S Ride Event at the Tesla Factory. All I could get was:

1) The event will be this fall.
    2) You will be able to register via the web after the announcement is sent.
    3) Elon will be there.
    4) They realize how popular the event will be, with thousands of reservation holders, so they're serious about only 2 people per reservation.
    5) They are talking with local hotels trying to work out group rates for people coming from out of town.

I mentioned that people will be driving their Roadsters to the event, and that some will need charging. They said that the Menlo Park, Palo Alto, and Santana Row chargers will be available, but didn't know how many chargers they'd have in Fremont. I volunteered to take a poll on the TMC forum, so they could plan accordingly.

Do you need to charge at the event? I'll gather the numbers and email the results in so that Tesla has an idea of what to expect. Please don't say you need charging if you don't - with so many attending chargers may be scarce and they should be used by people who really need them.

2. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I answered 'yes, Roadster', but would also be happy with J1772 or 14-50. Could you add a selection for those of us with multiple charging options?

3. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

This is good as a preliminary head count, just not sure what percentage of reservation holders are on TMC. Tesla should include this question as part of their RSVP process.

4. smorgasbord

Doug: I included an option for those attending but not needing charging to help us get a rough percentage.

Bonnie: If you're coming in a Roadster, Tesla knows what options you can use. The issue I thought was for people coming in Leafs or Rav4s or homemades that would need something else.

If you choose "Other connection needed," just reply here with your options. I doubt Tesla has Avcons, but they might be able to do standard 110 or 14-50 outlets.

5. bonnie

Makes sense.

6. jaanton

jaanton Roadster NA #1026

I don't know how this event is going to be scheduled, but I'll offer my 14-50 (and UMC) in Oakland to someone if needed. I'm close to "Oakland's Gourmet Ghetto" which would let someone get a couple hours of charge over while having a nice dinner.

7. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

The facility should have PLENTY of industrial-strength power :wink: I suggest Tesla Motors supply a huge (50x ++ ?) bank of 14-50s all arranged in a shady location, and make the arrival (and charging) of all of those EVs part of the big media event !!! :biggrin: If Solar City provides panels ( shouldn't Tesla have already installed a bunch on the roofs ? ) ... even better. Owners would bring their UMCs/RFMC/etc, but Tesla should also have some extras on hand for those without those accessories.

8. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

This forum will likely skew the need for charging slightly towards needing charging just due to the fact that this is an "owners club". The majority of deposit holders and invitees do not participate in our forum! We have a higher percentage of current EV owners!

9. smorgasbord

True enough, but it can still be a decent data point, if enough of the people on the forum answer the poll. Right now only 21 people have answered, which is less than 10% of the Roadster owner reservations.

10. smorgasbord

Note that this event is Saturday evening, Oct 1.
    You need to respond to Tesla's email by Wed, Aug 24th.

If you're going, please take the poll!

11. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

So far, it looks like there will be 6 Roadsters there.

For those of you bringing a Roadster: where are you coming from? That way we can make sure there aren't collisions at chargers on the way.

I'm coming from Seattle. It sounds like Scott451 was coming from SoCal.

12. bonnie

I won't need a charger to get there - it's approximately 100 miles from the house. But I would like to top off.