TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Poll: Do you plan on buying a chademo adapter?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by pcons, Jul 10, 2019.

?

Are you planning on purchasing a chademo adapter?

1. Yes

17.3%
  2. No

39.8%
  3. Maybe

14.3%
  4. Waiting for CCS

28.6%
  1. Tress

Tress Member

I bought a lightly used one for $200. I double checked eBay and they are all gone. Guessing the announcement has caused a rush for people to pick up all the used ones.

• Informative x 1
  2. pcons

pcons Active Member

Yeah, but then meatball consumption goes up with the linear inverse of the charge rate :)

• Funny x 4
  3. pcons

pcons Active Member

Agreed, if the consideration is a straight up 'cost savings' it takes a while to pay it off. But probably not 'years'. In my case I am going to get one because I do shop at Ikea quite often and there is also a grocery store by the Ikea, so having the convenience of a free pseudo fast charge while I shop groceries, etc is kind of worth it....but I do wish I had the option to buy a used one....

4. DirtyT3sla

DirtyT3sla Member

Is there a hell no option? $450 seems insane to me. What type of people want this connector? I'm assuming people that can't charge at home? I'll drive over 150miles a day a few times a week and NEVER charge outside of home.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  5. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

It's mainly useful for taking road trips where there are no Superchargers but there might be Chademo stations.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  6. pcons

pcons Active Member

Yeah, I think the adapter was more useful in the early days of the supercharger rollout. I also balk a bit at the price, it is crazy expensive, but it does depend on the use case. For me, I charge at home/at public L2 stations and have never used a supercharger. I'll get one because I do have a free chademo charging available at Ikea close to my house and a grocery store is in the same complex. So, once a week shopping there I could very likely cut my home charging requirements to essentially nothing (currently around $40/month).

So, the 'payback' for me would be within a year or so...factoring in road trips and the convenience of being able to park at home and use summon without having to first get out of the house and unplug the car is worth it.

The Chademo is limited to 50 kW at Ikea, but that's plenty fast to essentially get a decent battery charge while grocery shopping for about an hour. I'd estimate likely 50% charge over that time...though I've been meaning to look up if there are any charge rate ramp up/down with the chademo charger as there is with the superchargers. For now, I'm assuming I should be able to pull 50 kW for a large portion of the battery state of charge. Does anyone know of any tests that can confirm/deny this?

• Like x 1
  7. GlenM

GlenM Member

The charging infrastructure in the prairies and Southern BC is not that well built out. Having the Chademo adapter is a good safety net to have when travelling. Yeah, I may not need it, but it will be nice to have in the trunk just in case.

8. bwalter

bwalter Member

I'd expect it would start to taper at the same point a supercharger session would start to drop below 50 kW. This looks to be around 75-80%

9. pcons

pcons Active Member

That's what I'm hoping for. Since I only charge to 90% anyway that would work nicely. Say I roll in with 20-30%, charging 50-60% of the battery should need around 37-45 kwh. With a 90% efficiency that should be just about an hour of charging. We use this charger a lot with my wife's bolt, so will be interesting to see how the model 3 compares with it since the bolt has a combo plug built in.

10. GlenM

GlenM Member

Tesla Bjørn did a CHAdeMO speed test on a Model S, and it actually ramps up as it gets fuller. The higher SoC you have, the higher the voltage you will get with CHAdeMO. It's opposite of what a Supercharger would be. You're best charging rate is starting at around 75%-80%.

11. jebinc

jebinc M3 LR AWD w/FSD and white premium interior

It is insane. <$100US CCS adaptor, please....

• Like x 2
  12. tomot

tomot Member

Can this forum be used to organize a discount for a group buy?

13. scramjet

scramjet Member

Is anyone wanting to sell theirs? I cant justify 600$ for one but would consider a used one. Pm me if you do

14. pcons

pcons Active Member

Discount from whom? I don't think tesla deals with group buys. That would be cool, but I'm not counting on it.

15. tomot

tomot Member

We could start small, 1st get Elon on our side, group buy Elon Smoken Tee shirts!
    2019-07-11_17-22-30.png

16. CadillacJack

CadillacJack Member

I had to use mine on my P85 to Ottawa and back this past Feb. nice spot just off Hwy 416 that I topped up at. Won’t be a problem once the rest of the SC network is done, but in the winter dynamics and range changes fast. If the Parry Sound SC is dead for some reason I can still find decent chargers to get up north.

Like someone stated before, the adapter is more like a separate UMC than an adapter so think of it like that and then the cost makes more sense. I’ve used mine like 5 times in 4 years but am happy to have it in the car just in case. Besides I could just sell it and get most the money back now.

17. MexiCanuck

MexiCanuck Member

I would like to have one. There are only two Super Charger locations on all of Vancouver Island. Nothing north of Nanaimo. Nothing on the “coming soon” list.

But that price is too rich for me.

18. Tress

Tress Member

So true...in May used ChaDeMo adapters were going for $250, now used adapters are sold out at $425

19. lukex4

lukex4 Member

Bought one right away. Going next month in a remote region in Quebec and no Superchargers anywhere close but a few CHAdeMO along the way. Even if that's the only time I'll ever use it still worth it for me. I better have more possibilities of charging than fewer :)

• Like x 4
  20. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

Err, I'm pretty sure the current firmware in the Model 3 does not allow the adapter to work yet. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.