Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Do you use the Frunk on your Model 3?

M3 Frunk vs Truck usage

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I first got my Model 3 I used the frunk exclusively for groceries, because when I get home I park nose-in, and the car is so long that there's barely room for it, and if I close the garage door it's hard to get at the trunk.

But it was a goddamned PITA to open the frunk. There are only two choices: Unlock the car, climb half-way in, and hit the button on the screen, or else pull my phone out of my pocket, unlock it, launch the Tesla app, scroll to the right screen, and press the button. Upon arriving home I could open it before getting out of the car, but bringing groceries out from the store I finally said the hell with it and started using the trunk. Now I only use the trunk, and when I get home I have to leave the garage door open until I've gotten the groceries out of the car.

This is one of the reasons why I HATE THE STUPID STINKING PHONE-AS-KEY SYSTEM!!! Any other car would have a frunk-unlock button on the fob. One button-press and the frunk would open.

I like the idea of several folks above of using the frunk for stuff like the emergency tire pump and slime. And maybe the emergency charging cable, though I'd only ever need that on road trips.

Reactions: RBowen and Lobstahz
I use it now, but not as much.
I’d use it more if it was more convenient.
Right now the unlock is a bit of a process so I only use it when I’m already in the car getting out - if that makes sense.
If connect time was less I’d use the phone to unlock.

My favorite use of the frunk so far. Epic afternoon of strawberry picking.

Attachments

• BABB2C8B-13E3-43FF-945B-A07B7A38D31E.jpeg
    BABB2C8B-13E3-43FF-945B-A07B7A38D31E.jpeg
    389.1 KB · Views: 117
Reactions: RBowen
I only have some junk in the frunk (hah) that I rarely use. Every time I close it, I'm afraid of denting it. I can actually feel some flex if I use the pressure spots recommended in the manual. This is a clear design failure IMO. If it had a mechanism to pull it close and latch it automatically it would be much better.

Also, you cannot leave anything of value in the frunk since anyone can easily pop the hood without even leaving any damage (see here). This will soon make the rounds among the crooks if it hasn't already.

• Informative
Reactions: Lobstahz
[QUOTE="Eno Deb, post: 2992460,
Also, you cannot leave anything of value in the frunk since anyone can easily pop the hood without even leaving any damage (see here). This will soon make the rounds among the crooks if it hasn't already.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully this flaw can be fixed with a software update so it only opens when the 12V battery is drained.
In the meantime can the internal wires be disconnected?

Hopefully this flaw can be fixed with a software update so it only opens when the 12V battery is drained.
Given that the 12V battery powers the computers that is highly unlikely. Originally the manual said that it would work like that (easy to implement with a little electronic circuit), but the sentence has been removed since.
In the meantime can the internal wires be disconnected?
Probably, but that also means you won't be able to get to the 12V battery and give it a jump if it's really empty.

If the frunk hood wasn't be so flimsy I would probably use it more but I am afraid to bent it so subconsciously it's easier not to use it.

Although I've mostly quit using the frunk because of the hassle of opening it, I've never felt that I might damage it by opening or closing it. You just press down firmly where they say. I've also closed it without any damage by pressing right over the latch itself. Perhaps pressing or putting a weight in the middle of the hood would dent it, but I'm a real klutz, and there's no way even I would damage it just by closing it as per the instructions. It may be too flimsy, and that may be an issue. But it's not an issue that would prevent use of the frunk.

The Frunk is a handy place for the charging cables and the fix a flat kit and compressor. If I put in the trunk they get buried on trips.

I got a compressor for my trip. It and the cables went into that well in the back. After the trip the cable came out because that's how I charge the car at home, but the compressor stayed where it was. But I use that well for groceries, and then one day I had three bags of groceries so I put the compressor in front of the well, and it fell into the well and onto my groceries.

Then someone upthread mentioned what you just did, and now I keep the compressor in the frunk. I'd rather use the frunk for groceries because I cannot get into the trunk if the car is in my garage with the door closed. But opening the frunk is such a PITA that now the compressor lives there and groceries go in the back and I have to wait to close the garage door until after I've gotten the groceries out.

It would be nice if autopark would safely back the car into the garage. But it's too tight a space for me to do without a big bother.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Almost never. The charging kit, tire inflator, and a few cleaning supplies are in there, but for me it's just too much of a hassle to open and close to deal with it on a daily basis. Also, the frunk hood gets much dirtier than the trunk hatch, so don't like putting my hands on it anyway, especially in the way that it's supposed to be closed to avoid damage. I was actually thinking all those things should be in the lower trunk compartment in case of frunk failure.